Notices

sohc turbo build up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc turbo build up.

After over a year of researching. I have decided to go turbo instead of all motor. So now I start on the build up of my sohc zc. I have decided to do this like I do every thing else as cheap as possible. I saw somone on this board had built their bottom end with b16 rods and supra pisons. I still have some questions that I need answered. I want to use b16 rods in my soch zc (d16). My question is what all do I need to do to make the b16 rods to work. I know i will have to get the big ends of the rods milled down to fit the d16 narrower crank. After I get that done which berings will i have to use the b16 milled down or d16 ones. Also is there anyone that can get a set of 1g-gte supra pistons. I have a few questions on the pistons but they can wait until i can see if anyone can get them for me.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (swiperz zc)

hey there, i'm the one with the supra piston combo the part of the rod which connects with the crankshaft in a b16 is the same as a d16y8, so there is no need to modify the rod, only part that needs to be modified is at the top, where it connects to the toyota pistons. people have been doing this trick in thailand for years, coz its cheap, effective, and allows the engine to go to 1 bar safely (with PROPER fuel management of course). If you are *really* interested in getting JDM B16A rods and Toyota 1G-GTE pistons, e-mail me and i'll hook you up.

nathan@samart.co.th
Old 03-08-2002, 02:57 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (nathan's boosted civic)

Maybe, I'm missing something, but aren't B16 rods a little short? Stock D16-series rods are 137mm, where the B16s are 134.6mm. Does this cause any problems or is it necessary only when running the 1G-GTE pistons?
Old 03-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (DSF)

the pistons are taller, and almost make up for the difference. The piston will sit about 1mm lower than the stock pistons with stock rods. You do need to grind the bottom of the block to allow for clearance of the B16A rods since they are a lot thicker than the D16 rods.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:48 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda thought so.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:01 PM

Do the supra piston pins fit right into the stock b16a rods? or is there boring/bushing involved?
Old 03-09-2002, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (RioNinja)

the top of the connecting rod needs to be modified a little in order for the toyota pistons to be able to connect. take it to a machine shop, and they should be able to sort that out for you.

since there have been a few people asking me for prices, here they are:

B16A rods, 2nd hand, good condition = US$95.00 for FOUR connecting rods.
Toyota 1G-GTE pistons, 2nd hand, good condition = US$170 for SIX pistons.
Toyota 1G-GTE piston rings pack, brand new = US$70, package contains piston rings for SIX pistons.

The pistons and rings must be bought in packs of 6, as that's how I get them (don't forget the 1G-GTE is a 6 cylinder twin-turbo supra engine, with pistons that coincedently have the same diameter as our 75mm D16 engines ) Having 2 spare pistons and rings is handy just incase you happen to break something

this setup will allow you to boost 1 bar (14.7psi) on your engine daily, as long as you have a BLOCKGUARD, lowered C/R, and PROPER FUEL MANAGEMENT (like a Hondata or other standalone). Max boost (i'd recommend only to use at the track) that the pistons can take is about 1.3 bar. Boost higher than that, and you're on your own.. B16A rods hold up to the boost quite well.. i've only managed to bend one since using this combo, and that was because I was boosting at about 1.6 bar one night when I was racing with a Porsche

if anyone is interested in using a good cheap alternative to the forged pistons/con rods, IM me or e-mail me at nathan@samart.co.th
Old 03-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a webpage where I can read up more about supra pistons with b16 rods? Sounds like a pretty cheap way to run a decent amount of boost on a d-series.

Yager-
Old 03-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Nathan,

If the piston ends up about 1mm lower, what is the effective C/R with this setup?

Or did I not understand what you meant by lower......

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (jthelman)

i'm in the process of doing a webpage now about how I did it.
the pistons.. they sit 1mm lower.. lower in the engine, you understood correctly I'm not sure about how this affects the c/R because I never bothered to measure what it was before installing this piston/rod combo..
Old 03-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any more info on this?

Yager-
Old 03-21-2002, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested
Old 03-21-2002, 12:28 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (Bryson)

hey Nathan,

"IF" there was enough interest in this, would you be able to make a package deal with the machining already done (ready to install)?
Old 03-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (vbphreak)

I have done some searching on the net but have had a hard time finding anything on it. I got any extra block and am very interested in some more info on this setup.

Yager-
Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (ImportHatch)

Nathan, how much boost are the actual pistons good for in your opinion? How much boost do those Supra's tend to spit out? I'm curioys because if I go ahead and sleeve the block with a BG, use some Crower rods and the Toyota 1G-GTE piston's... well, let's just say that we all know Toyota can make a mean motor, just look at the 2JZ-GTE. So how much do you think those pistons can hold up to on a built block?
Old 03-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (VTC_CiViC)

Nathan, how much boost are the actual pistons good for in your opinion? How much boost do those Supra's tend to spit out? I'm curioys because if I go ahead and sleeve the block with a BG, use some Crower rods and the Toyota 1G-GTE piston's... well, let's just say that we all know Toyota can make a mean motor, just look at the 2JZ-GTE. So how much do you think those pistons can hold up to on a built block?
How much boost? Well, with proper fuel management and ignition timing, and only a blockguard (stock D16Y8 sleeves), lowered compression, and B16A Rod/1G-GTE piston combo, I can push 1 bar of boost safely. Actually, 1.2 bar would most probably be safe too (just that there's so many empty roads here, and I beat my car to 4th gear redline all the time, I decided it be best to leave it at 1 bar for a longer engine life ) At the track, i'm sitting at 1.3 bar. A few weeks ago, I pushed 1.5 bar on a few laps at track and hit a 13.7 on street tires in a 4 door sedan with full interior and spare tire. (it would probably be low 13's to high 12's since greddy turbo kits on SOHC VTEC engines here run 15.5 secs at 10psi) climate and humidity slows our cars down here by as much as 1.5 seconds compared with you people in the US! (now you guys know why i'm so shy in speaking my quartermile times )

so there are quite a few people here interested I see.. packaged deal.. yes I think it can be done, but how many people here would be interested? the only other additional costs that you would incur on top of the prices i've already quoted above would be for machine work and shipping. (I *think* the machinework fees would cost about US$50.. i have to check this again)

anyone who's *seriously* interested, start replying to the message!
Old 03-22-2002, 10:29 AM

nathan: I'm customer #1
Old 03-22-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (vbphreak)

that sounds like a tight kit. please post when you get the prices worked out!! 18psi is what i want to run!!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Trial User

I am in if you get the deal going......I mean hell, 400 bucks for pistons and rods is an awesome deal!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (Total Eclipse RS)

3 people already? great! working out exact costs now as I type (including shipping), so just please be patient - thank you
Old 03-22-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (swiperz zc)

I have a friend who is definatly interested. Let us know on those prices!
Old 03-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (RioNinja)

I am definately interested in maybe purchasing some stuff from you or learning some more about this.

Yager-
Old 03-25-2002, 08:43 PM
New User

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (ImportHatch)

I am in too
Old 03-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If they pop in, then I'm probably in as well. Let me know final price before I decide. Thanks
Old 03-26-2002, 09:07 AM

Default Re: sohc turbo build up. (maztur)

I am in!! Do you take Paypal?

Quick Reply: sohc turbo build up.