Notices

So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied?

What you need is a good ol boost upgrade! Here are some pics of the Payn Technologies 8 rib Honda supercharger "upgrade" kit. (I picked it up used for a price I could afford.) It includes a harmonicly dampened crank pulley, supecharger pulley, belt, tensioner bracket and hardware. Pretty straight forward kit really... Damn well made too.

Pics of the top and bottom of the new crank pulley. It weighs roughly the same as stock and is a steel core with an aluminum pulley over top. It has a harmonic damper inside for added bonus.

And here is the bracket and a comparo of the stock belt to the new belt.

I havent had the time to take it for a "street" test yet but I should give it a whirl tomorrow sometime. It went on pretty easy for the most part. I had more trouble pulling the old SC pulley off the extension shaft than anything. Once that came off, i was in good shape to finish. Everything pretty much fit right together minus a light bit of grinding necessary on the lower engine mount (A/C bracket) as pictured.

As you can see, it is a real tight fit... I had to grind about 1/8" of materal off of the bracket arm here to let the belt pass by without rubbing. As you can see, i repainted the ground down areas (which are clean looking).

The crank pulley pretty much slides right on in place of the stock one. Be sure to make TDC and 14/16/18° marks on the crank pulley plus a 180° from TDC mark is helpfull too. It doesnt come with these marks already on it. To transfer them, just set the crank right at the mark you want to make using the stock crank pulley and markings, then pull the stock pulley off and slide this one on with the keyway installed so it is aligned. Then using a dark surface marker (silver sharpie) make a mark and then pull the pulley off and scratch the mark in using a file or dremel cutting disk. Dont make it too deep, just enough so you can see it incase it gets dirty. Repeat this for the other marks. 180°TDC you will have to make by finding 180° around the crank pulley as the stock pulley does not have this mark.

Yea, this is one fat ******* belt... twice as wide as stock. How about them apples! It really looks "stock" with the kit seeing as everything is anodized to match and it uses a factory Vortech supercharger pulley to drive it and your stock lower idler pulley for the tensioner. Like I said, it is pretty simple to swap out. Even the stock alternator belt fits.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (ClubSiRacer)

how much does that bump the boost ?

not much room for clearance...
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (twkdCD595)

The crank is 6.2" compared to roughly 5.5", you can use any number of supercharger pulley sizes but the one i'm using should net 17psi at 8900rpm. And that is using a fairly large pulley size still. I can drop down to a smaller pulley and net up to 25psi or more if I wanted.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The crank is 6.2" compared to roughly 5.5", you can use any number of supercharger pulley sizes but the one i'm using should net 17psi at 8900rpm. And that is using a fairly large pulley size still. I can drop down to a smaller pulley and net up to 25psi or more if I wanted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

btw great info., nice to see a local with vortech setup... most people like that JR roots style but I like the centrifugal.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (twkdCD595)

Ugh, roots... sounds like your killing cats or something under your hood.

I've always been a big fan of Vortech superchargers since I came from the "big bad world of V8's" before I got into imports in the early 90's. I did a turbo before, didnt find it was reliable enough for me on a daily driven car at the power levels I wanted so i did this and it has worked great for years since. Even with stupid amounts of boost and revs out the *** on a regular basis.

(Not to start the turbo vs supercharger thing again. Personaly, if I built a drag only car i'd go turbo no doubt.)
Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Test drive = belt too loose = belt shreads everywhere... More later.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:11 PM

keep me on on this !
Old 01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ClubSiRacer)

Interesting man! Damn an 8rib belt must be AWESOME. That SOB isnt slipping!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ugh, roots... sounds like your killing cats or something under your hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>
At least I only have to change one pulley to up the boost. Takes 5 minutes
Old 01-13-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
At least I only have to change one pulley to up the boost. Takes 5 minutes </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true... for me also, assuming I wasnt already pushing 15+psi and needed a wider belt to make more boost.

Basicly what I know is, the 8 rib belt was brand new and likely once it heated up some it started to stretch out which caused it to slip and once it started to slip and get loose, it decided to dismount itself which caused it to turn into itty bitty pieces, some of which I found under the hood later. The only problem is, the car wont start now because the battery is dead and the alternator belt is gone. (it flipped it over somehow, on top of that it is all but destroyed also) Anyhow, I spoke with the maker of the kit, he thinks the belt just stretched out some after heating up since it was brand new. This has happened to me before so I suspect this is the likely the cause of the belt dismount.

The side problem is, the car wont start, even with juice... I suspect a shred of belt caught a wire or sensor and knocked it silly, most likely the crank angle sensor or wire to it down by the crank pulley.

If I cant get this **** to work and stay together with a new belt, it is all going and i'm gonna hit up Geoff for a manifold and some other goodies. I'm almost fed up with belts and belt driven boost, as reliable as it is otherwise.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did a turbo before, didnt find it was reliable enough for me on a daily driven car at the power levels I wanted so i did this and it has worked great for years since. Even with stupid amounts of boost and revs out the *** on a regular basis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I cant get this **** to work and stay together with a new belt, it is all going and i'm gonna hit up Geoff for a manifold and some other goodies. I'm almost fed up with belts and belt driven boost, as reliable as it is otherwise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was a quick turnaround, heheh. Too bad, looked like you had a neat setup.
-PHiZ
Old 01-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That was a quick turnaround, heheh. Too bad, looked like you had a neat setup.
-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I was counting on this working to let me make more boost and run 11's since I was already so close to that mark anyhow. Assuming I could get a buyer for this stuff at a decent price, i'd fully drop it and go with a GOOD turbo setup, not some garbage like I had before.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm almost fed up with belts and belt driven boost, as reliable as it is otherwise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wont regret it man, believe me. Thats the exact reason (as well as curiosity and wanting something fresh) that I ditched the SC...I havent had to tighten/change a belt in months, its incredible.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i'd fully drop it and go with a GOOD turbo setup, not some garbage like I had before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad you clarified either way . . . I'm anxious to see what kinda numbers this yields.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied? (AVATAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVATAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm anxious to see what kinda numbers this yields. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Test drive = belt too loose = belt shreads everywhere... More later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sonny
Old 01-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

Payn is good ****
Old 01-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:knock: :knock:

Turbo setup is knocking at your door man
Old 01-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to see how this works out......
Old 01-13-2004, 08:10 PM

For your viewing pleasure, this is what happens when a brand new Goodyear Gatorback 8 rib belt decides to dismount and tangle itself under the crank pulley.... Needless to say, some **** got damaged. Lucky nothing else happened and despite the ultra fuxored look, the cams are dead on still. The belt however is another story, it is stretched enough that I need to replace it.

And my two helpers hanging out with me in the garage while I tear **** down at 11pm.

Anyhow, if I can find the right buyer for this stuff (which is in perfect condition still minus the belt) I would clearly sell it and drop that cash on a new Full-Race setup and push ~12-15psi with that and be faster still. The trouble is trying to get a buyer for it at the price i'd want/need to step back into the turbo world.

I just wish Geoff would PM me back...

Modified by ClubSiRacer at 11:27 PM 1/13/2004
Old 01-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck man, and BTW your pics aren't showing up.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (HXMan)

Yea, our forum server is being worked on at the moment. Thanh likes to pull it down at night since most people tend to surf from work.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> most people tend to surf from work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL...ain't that the truth!

You gotta at least run that 8 rib setup once before you sell it all, Jason!

Sonny
Old 01-14-2004, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason, glad to see you're finally comming around man.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

It's about time Jason. :D

Quick Reply: So you have a Vortech and you are not satisfied?