Notices

So I been wondering when rebuilding a Honda engine even if cylinder bores are measure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I been wondering when rebuilding a Honda engine even if cylinder bores are measure

So I been wondering when rebuilding a Honda engine even if cylinder bores are measure and within spec. Can I simply just hone and put in forge pistons or these block known to get out shape.and round and should be bore out to insure true round cylinder walls( which i believemost ppl gonnaagreewith)but also can u get away with just a hone if your within specs. Thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: So I been wondering when rebuilding a Honda engine even if cylinder bores are mea

What are you even saying?

From what I can gather from the poorly written post, here is my reply:

If it's within spec, why waste the time or money to bore .25mm or .5mm unless you are gaining a bigger amount of cubic inches? So if the cylinder walls are within the proper piston to wall specifications of the piston, then hone and install. This is unlikely due to the nature of Honda engines, but I have seen it within acceptable specs before.

The amount that would need to be over-bored would be determined by the measurements taken from the cylinders. It sounds like you are not qualified to be making these types of decisions - take it to a shop and let them tell you.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: So I been wondering when rebuilding a Honda engine even if cylinder bores are mea

I think what he's trying to figure out is more of a chicken vs. Egg scenario. He's not sure if the cylinder walls are clean enough as they are to be able to simply "swap" some other forged piston inside.

For example, he has 81mm, can he just "pop in" another 81mm without having to check the bore itself to see if it can simply be honed with a new resurface, or have to go out to a larger bore to get fresh clearance, a new bore AND hone to fit the new pistons, without yet checking for piston to wall clearance of his pistons (which he may not have yet)

As N3va3va... (god, that's too much to write ) stated, its best to take the block, and head to the machine shop to see first whether or not the bore can stay 81mm or if it needs to increase to 81.25 (harder pistons to find depending upon purpose) or 81.5mm. THEN you can bring him the pistons of that bore and let the machine shop match them to the cylinders for a proper fit.

OR.

Assume the worse, get 81.5mm pistons, take both the pistons AND the block the machine shop and have them bore to spec.