Notices

So the Civic was tuned yesterday...

Old 07-02-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So the Civic was tuned yesterday...

What a day. Jeff Evans, Boosted Hybrid, was doing the tuning.

Car specs- B18B motor and tranny, fully built pnp Crower Head, BONE stock bottom end. T3/T4 turbo, RC 550's, Hondata, Exedy Stage 2 clutch, blah, blah, blah.

Its 9:30am and I arrived at the shop. Hondata, (best decision ever), and a three bar map sensor were installed.

We lost time due to my trusty old Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge, which by the way is the third one I've had. It was reading 82 psi. We trouble shot to try to drop it. After an hour, we realized the gauge was 42 psi off. Just for the record, I've been running 1 Bar forever. My trusty autometer boost gauge doesn't go past 10 psi. Luckily, the Uberdata base map I was running was pig rich and I was able to tweak the curve with my SAFC and monitor it with my wideband. Otherwise, my motor should of blown a long time ago. I'm so done with autometer, but thats another issue.

Now I had an Intake Air Temperature issue. The sensor was fried. It was swapped out and good to go.

Time for the baseline. First WOT pull put down 302 whp and 265 torque. Thats the only dynograph I have, but I will get to that later. Anyway, maxed out the peak and hold DSM 450's and they had to go. Jeff sold me RC 550 saturated injectors, which required new soldering of the wires to get rid of the peak and hold set up. Jeff and Tim knocked it out quick.

Now it was time to completely retune all of the partial throttle maps with the 550's. After the partial throttle maps were re-done it was time to go WOT. The car was making so much power that the clutch couldn't handle the torque after 7,000 rpms. Day was over. Keep in mind that it started at 9:30am and it was now 10:00pm.

I'm getting a Clutchmasters Stage 4, throwing it in, and going back up to get the final dyno results.

Bottom line, I'm pretty happy and Hondata has my car running like stock. I wish I bought it a long time ago. The car is fully tuned to 1 Bar is absolutely nasty. It has never performed so well. Jeff is estimating around 325 whp. I like the sound of that.

I will be going back up this week, hopefully tuesday. I'll let you guys know my final results. Any of you who are close to eastern PA and need tuning, I will recommend Evans Tuning to you. You will not be disappointed. Jeff and his dad both went out of there way all day long for me. Tim and Phil helped out a ton as well. For those of you who don't have Hondata.... GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: (coinfin)

This is going to turn into another 'uberdata vs. hondata' thread before you can say 'engine management'.

Nice power, must be fun to drive.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Mad Cow)

I used Uberdata on several cars and it worked fine. I like the software, but for some reason it was acting up on Jason's car yesterday. Just a week ago, I had Uberdata on a car and the software worked perfectly. If the cars have issues (i.e. codes, or other mechanical issues), I can diagnose the problem and get the car running faster with Hondata. For example, I logged rpm vs. speed yesterday to figure out that Jason's clutch was slipping. This is something I could not have done with Uberdata. I'd rather not turn this into a "Hondata vs. Uberdata" thread. Simply put, Uberdata is a good shareware ROM Editor program, but is not as advanced in certain aspects as Hondata.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (Tony Starks)

Another great tune by jeff evans.. for jeff evans.. a great helpful guy and an outstanding tuner..
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (IntegracinGSR)

great Jason. Glad to see everything has finally worked out for you.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (DC2R714)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coinfin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can i ask why someone should buy hondata when you willingly admit that because of uberdata your car is still alive?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe Jeff answered this. In no way did I bash uberdata, so don't get your panties in a bunch. You say they are equal, no they are not. I've had both and I like Hondata way better.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coinfin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW: i would have gotten some bigger injectors than 550cc seeing 550s are the same price as 720's....</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW: You have no idea what plans I have for my car. My car is done. I don't need 720cc injectors. The only way for me to gain more power from my car is to build the bottom end. I'm not doing it. 325whp on the street is enough for me in my daily driver.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2R714 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great Jason. Glad to see everything has finally worked out for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Nate. I asked about you yesterday and I wondered where you were at.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony Starks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks Nate. I asked about you yesterday and I wondered where you were at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya man I am around. Now that Jeff has his own dyno I dont see them as much, but I check in here and there to see how some of my old friends are doing
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can diagnose the problem and get the car running faster with Hondata. For example, I logged rpm vs. speed yesterday to figure out that Jason's clutch was slipping. This is something I could not have done with Uberdata.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just FYI, uberdata will log speed vs rpm. If you would, give us some more examples and we'll see if we can't work something into the program.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 PM

nice #'s!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mad Cow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just FYI, uberdata will log speed vs rpm. If you would, give us some more examples and we'll see if we can't work something into the program.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The copy that I am using doesn't have speed, but it has rpm. I have 5 different versions on my tuning laptop and sometimes when the newer ones don't work I have to go to the older ones.

The only complaints I have with the software is the lack of cranking fuel adjustment, idle air control manipulation, ability to clear CELs, closed loop disable feature (i have a version that has it, but that version doesn't work well for whatever reason), and the lack of solid 3bar map scaling (I've played with the map scaling with the versions that I have using 3bar map sensors, but the cars never run 100% correctly). Other than that, the features that Uberdata has that Hondata doesn't are really cool. I especially like having the ability to manipulate rpm points instead of using predefined ones as well as the rpm/mph based shift light.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony Starks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Bottom line, I'm pretty happy and Hondata has my car running like stock. I wish I bought it a long time ago. The car is fully tuned to 1 Bar is absolutely nasty. It has never performed so well. Jeff is estimating around 325 whp. I like the sound of that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

so my old motor( ) is treating you well then?

glad to see your car is finally finished. Looks like you have a serious daily driver right now
Old 07-02-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (Krnbk2)

Good lord man, I didn't know you were making that much power! That's awesome!!! It must put you back into the seat hard
Old 07-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Krnbk2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so my old motor( ) is treating you well then?

glad to see your car is finally finished. Looks like you have a serious daily driver right now
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah. Thanks again for the motor. What did you end up getting?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good lord man, I didn't know you were making that much power! That's awesome!!! It must put you back into the seat hard</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES IT DOES. Why do you think I haven't been on SOCOM in forever?
Old 07-03-2004, 07:33 PM

Hell yeah. Thanks again for the motor. What did you end up getting?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=803137

well im glad she is treating you well. i had the same plans for her too when it is 100% perfect let me know, i wanna get a ride in her
Old 07-03-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (Krnbk2)

Nice. I'm glad you didn't leave the Honda scene.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Just got back from the dyno re-tune. Due to traction issues and wanting to keep the bottom end safe, the car was tuned for 304 whp on 8 psi. Yes, the car makes over 300 whp on 8 psi. Nice.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw your dyno sheet. Greats numbers and good powerband Torque doesnt fall off too much.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:13 PM

What t3/t4?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (The Crow)

holy **** whats the specs of the car? thats sick numbers for 8psi on an LS.
very nice
Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM

Ma god, that's sick for a B18B. It seems like that head work really opened things up. Awesome
Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (Honda Hick)

Graphs:

I havent found a way to scale them down and have them look decent so they are big.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who did the head work?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (0x64)

Glad I could help!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (Hondatec38)

Thats really impressive for just 8psi . What are the specs? The built head really made a difference.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: So the Civic was tuned yesterday... (roydogg)

Visit http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=790 for specs on this car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So the Civic was tuned yesterday...