Notices

Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help.

Alright...Alright I've been using this site for info for the past couple years and now I need some help my self. I have pieced together my own turbo and installed it myself. Stats of ride: 97 Teg with stock internals running 6psi, Garrett T3, FMU, BOV, IC. The Teg only has 100k on the motor and been running with mobile 1 since I bought the car at 50k. Problem: The car has never smoked any what's so ever and after the install she now smokes. The smoke is blueish and I'm concerned that it may be the internals. The turbo was used when purchased, milage unknown but had an appropriate amount of play to it, and spins freely. It started smoking immediatley after the install after boosting and letting off the gas. I tried playing with the timing a little and it seems that increased the smoke when the timing was retarded. I'm think i'm running rich with the 12:1 FMU @6psi. Exhaust fumes smell a little rich. I'm thinking it could be the seals in the turbo and I'm hoping it's not internals. Also, I have the wastegate but I don't have the dump tube so it ejects to the atmosphere straight into the engine bay with out passing through the cat etc... Could this be a reason. With the car smoking like it does I don't want to take the chance in driving it to get the exhaust work done. Any thoughts on this.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help. (tegstyles)

UNfortonetly, the theory is Blue Smoke = Bad Head Gasket.
Yes you proply are running rich, What is controlling the Fuel?, You need some kind of ECU mod
Old 01-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help. ({StatuS ChecK})

Nothing controling the fuel just yet. I'm a little on the broke side after the install. Those little things just add up I guess. I do have a Fuel Pressure Regulator on the way and waiting for payday to get the APEX AFC.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help. (tegstyles)

Even if there are no signs of play in the turbo, the seals still could be starting to go. Does it smoke after you come to a rest? Or all the time? Is there any white? My car smoked white really bad even sitting still and giving a little throttle (sitting still) it would smoke more but white with a very very slight blue (you'd really have to look b/c of all the white!) this was due to a head gasket and my oil rings on a couple pistons got fried! As for running rich, are you running stock injectors? If so, it should't run rich at an idle, but may run slightly rich when boosting.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Smoking turbo Teg....NEED help. (1.8tgsr)

Yes I'm running stock injectors. I'm thinking of cutting the 12:1 to 10:1. I also just remembered that I forgot to regap the spark spark plugs and didn't remember until now. I'm an A$$. Could this have caused a problem. There is little white smoke but not much, It's more of a blueish texture. It doesn't smoke at idle only under boost in particular right when I let off the gas. The teg is an automatic as well.