Notices

Smoking turbo, blow by, and turbo seals <----read me

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking turbo, blow by, and turbo seals <----read me

Well this is just a little post about my experience in the last couple of days. To make a long story short, I have a new built SOHC w/ a fairly new turbo. The turbo starts smoking like crazy upon start up, so i wait it out and check things to confirm its the turbo that is smoking. The motor checks out fine.

So i order up a new dynamic seal kit for the turbo, install it and the mother F is still smoking. Anyone that has been in my shoes knows how frustrating this can be. I even went to the extent of taking the turbo off my car and basicly rebuilding it 3 freaking times!!! I know my oil lines check out fine b/c they worked perfect the previous season (-4 line w/ restrictor and a 5/8" drain).

well, after sifting through 8 pages of search material and stumbling onto something that a phoenixTurbo employee posted up, i decided to double check my exhaust evac system, and sure enough the inside of the tubes where blocked by emulsified oil, **** looks like mayo. What was happening is crank case pressures where getting too high forcing oil out the turbine shaft seal.

cleared it all up and the smoking stopped right away. So lesson learned, make sure you have adaquate crank case ventelation. I think most of the time its over looked, i know i did.

i hope this helps someone.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Smoking turbo, blow by, and turbo seals <----read me (sohc_turd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well this is just a little post about my experience in the last couple of days. To make a long story short, I have a new built SOHC w/ a fairly new turbo. The turbo starts smoking like crazy upon start up, so i wait it out and check things to confirm its the turbo that is smoking. The motor checks out fine.

So i order up a new dynamic seal kit for the turbo, install it and the mother F is still smoking. Anyone that has been in my shoes knows how frustrating this can be. I even went to the extent of taking the turbo off my car and basicly rebuilding it 3 freaking times!!! I know my oil lines check out fine b/c they worked perfect the previous season (-4 line w/ restrictor and a 5/8" drain).

well, after sifting through 8 pages of search material and stumbling onto something that a phoenixTurbo employee posted up, i decided to double check my exhaust evac system, and sure enough the inside of the tubes where blocked by emulsified oil, **** looks like mayo. What was happening is crank case pressures where getting too high forcing oil out the turbine shaft seal.

cleared it all up and the smoking stopped right away. So lesson learned, make sure you have adaquate crank case ventelation. I think most of the time its over looked, i know i did.

i hope this helps someone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same thing happen, my lines froze solid in my catchcan (they sit inside it and apparently the fluid level got past them) I had the james bond smokescreen for a bit until i beat the crap outta the lines and cleared them out.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info