Notices

Smoke from v.cover breather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from v.cover breather?

today my car started acting funny, i was at a friends shop to work on the body work and when i pulled it in it was running really rough and would barely start.
I go to leave and it doesn't even want to start and turns over kinda rough. normally it doesn't start right up since i put in 450's. but now i turned it over for a good 20 seconds and it finally fires up.
It idles real rough now, and **** loads of smoke coming from the exhuast when i start it up as well as from the v. cover breather that runs to the ground. it doesn't seem to be black smoke from running way rich, so that kinda rules out maybe the maplimiter had been messed with by accident or something and that really doesn't explain smoke from the v/c breather.
I just put a new water pump on yesterday and was thinking maybe the t-belt jumped from not tightening the tensioner, but it all seems good when i went over that for 3rd time today.

the motor is stil a d15 with a homeade turbo kit.. i just cant figure this out...
any opionins are welcome, thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Smoke from v.cover breather? (tHE oNE)

OK i just spent the last 30 mins searching as was not able to find much of anything helpful, seems everyone seems to think its blow-by which in fact could be.

lemme explain a little more about my situation.
the car ran fine, was getting on it a bit right b4 i got to the shop. 2nd gear pull on 5lbs. seemed to run fine all the way until i got there, started it up to leave and it runs like ****. i just seems all the sudden, I checked all the plugs after cranking it over trying to get it started and they were way black(of course) but no signs of anything odd, detonation specs or anything. I through some new plugs in and the car runs the same.
I got it started and drove it home. the car doesn't seem to smoke once its going or the motors above 1500 or so... it misses anything below that. It does seem like it lost some power but seems to run fine at highway speeds.
Its not a blueish smoke either. I just dont see it being rings or anything like that.

Im going to go and try messing with the pcv a bit and see if its any good.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:08 PM

yeah you're right, blow by...

probably rings...

run a compression test... if you don't have a tester,get one, and until then a quick way to see...

start the car up, pull out plug wire #1, and you should notice a huge change of idle...
if you notice a huge change, plug it back in. and do the same to #2.... then #3, then #4. each time putting it back in before moving on to the next.

if notice a huge change in idle, after each time a plug is removed... then wait for the compression test.
but if you noticed that when you pulled out a wire there was no noticable change, there's a good chance that cylinder has lost compression. and more than likely... pistons/rings...

obviously do the compression test anyways, but this is a good/cheesy way to make yourself uselful until then.

i'm bad at explaining things, but you should get the picture.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Smoke from v.cover breather? (Ruckus138)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ruckus138 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah you're right, blow by...

probably rings...

run a compression test... if you don't have a tester,get one, and until then a quick way to see...

start the car up, pull out plug wire #1, and you should notice a huge change of idle...
if you notice a huge change, plug it back in. and do the same to #2.... then #3, then #4. each time putting it back in before moving on to the next.

if notice a huge change in idle, after each time a plug is removed... then wait for the compression test.
but if you noticed that when you pulled out a wire there was no noticable change, there's a good chance that cylinder has lost compression. and more than likely... pistons/rings...

obviously do the compression test anyways, but this is a good/cheesy way to make yourself uselful until then.

i'm bad at explaining things, but you should get the picture.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea thanks for the input, im about to go down there and mess with it, I just hoping i dont have to spend my sunday dropping another motor in. The lake is calling my name
Old 05-17-2003, 07:52 PM

I just went and messed with it a bit, its dark as **** and can't see much, but the PCV was fine, the plugs are fine(no oil on the at all), and pulled the wires off one by one and each one seemed to have a considerable effect on how the engine idled. it wanted to die on each cylinder when its wire was removed.
I would think that if it lost compression that when i took off the wire to the cylinder it would have idled the same.
starting it seems likes its gettin worse, it sounded like **** turning it over to get it to fire up. real inconsistent when cranking
Old 05-17-2003, 08:26 PM

sounds like a broken motor. compression check/leakdown time.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Smoke from v.cover breather? (lazerus)

compression test....
115, 130, 80, 80.......****

i drove it a bit more to see if i could think of anything else, and checked the plugs about 3 times and there is no signs of oil, they dont even smell like burnt oil.

there is no oil in the coolant from what i can tell and there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant...
i guess i'll just pull the head and hope it might possibly be a headgasket problem. problay not though since that would be the easiest thing
Old 05-18-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do another compression test......drop a coupld drops of oil in the two cylinders with 80psi.....if it shoots back up to 170 or so that means your rings are bad.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:36 PM

theres a good chance it is your headgasket... usually when it is the headgasket, compression will be low in 2 cylinders that are next to eachother. usually.

but with compression that low, there's still a good chance it's the rings. and with such horrid blowby it usually is.

you can have a blown headgasket and still not notice oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil.

good luck.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoke from v.cover breather? (Ruckus138)

sounds like the piston ringlands or rings...
Old 05-18-2003, 01:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tHE oNE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">compression test....
115, 130, 80, 80.......****</TD></TR></TABLE>
did you chek all 4 your compression at wide open tb?!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Smoke from v.cover breather? (sleeper007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeper007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you chek all 4 your compression at wide open tb?!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, never heard of that....
i did unplug all the injectors and I dunno this is frustrating.
I'm gonna go pull the head, i'll update in a few hours
Old 05-18-2003, 03:56 PM

ok i got my headgasket sitting here. everything seems fine with the head off.
i dont see any signsd of bs with this headgasket, someone wanna drop me some hints or areas to look at?
other than that there is no detonation on the pistons. the cylinder walls looked ok except for a tiny bit of vertical scratching that seems somewhat inconsistent with the compression test.
when pulling the head the intake runners seems real dirty on the 1-3 runners, the 4th is spotless. lots of slimy grudgey oily **** and it stops like an inch into the head and all the way up in the manifold from what i see.

any tricks i can do to determine are appreciated. i was thinking since i cant see the rings with just the head off that i could fill the cylinder with something to see if the hold up anything. but i dont know what use or how long to wait to determine?
thanks