Notices

smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please

new turbo and its been on the car for about 6 months so far...

i'm using a -3 feed and a -10 return. car drives fine and pulls hard. no smoke when cruising, no smoke when getting on it at WOT, but after a hard pull or 2 or extend high rpm freeway driving, it smokes when i come to a stop.

it will be fine when i come to a stop for about 20 secs... then smoke would start coming out. its blue so its oil. itll come out for about 30 secs - 1 min depending how hard i drove it or how long its been revved high (3.5k-4k rpm)

but when i come to a stop and it starts coming out, i can take off and right when i take off theres nothing coming out.

only at idle...

my return line isnt that great though... i'm thinking thats it. it goes straight down for about 8 to 9 inches. then it goes pretty horizontal for about a foot. then theres a 90 deg fitting that goes into the top of the pan...

is this the problem?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:01 AM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

Default Re: smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please (booja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then smoke would start coming out. its blue so its oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if its bluish white smoke its not the oil, its coolant. burning oil tends to be black. check ur coolant levels and do a compression test if you can. might be a blown headgasket
Old 03-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please (JDM turbo DC)

head gasket huh.... but if its my head gasket wouldnt my cars oil and coolant be mixing... i just changed my oil and it looks fine... nothing in my coolant either

the smoke actually looks white sometimes... but its hard to tell whether its blue or white to me.... maybe ill record it with my phone today and post it up to see everyones opinions

i was leaning toward the oil line because i would see oil seeping out of my compressor... so i think its just getting backed up and comng out and burning

either that or im getting too much presure with a -3 line still
Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please (booja)

what are you using for a pcv setup? I ran the line of my head to my air intake tube of my turbo, so it was good, but i forgot about the back of the block. That one does have a pcv in it, so it shouldn't be boosting, however at the end of last year, i started having issues like that, after boosting for about two months. I had perfect compression, rebuilt a different motor this winter, planned, but tore down my other one, and it showed no signs of issues. I did however find that my pcv valve was not working anymore, could blow air both ways, so i'm thinking that i was boosting my crankcase, thus the smoke. Hence why i ask you
Old 03-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smoke issue... i searched but no definite answers. help please (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are you using for a pcv setup? I ran the line of my head to my air intake tube of my turbo, so it was good, but i forgot about the back of the block. That one does have a pcv in it, so it shouldn't be boosting, however at the end of last year, i started having issues like that, after boosting for about two months. I had perfect compression, rebuilt a different motor this winter, planned, but tore down my other one, and it showed no signs of issues. I did however find that my pcv valve was not working anymore, could blow air both ways, so i'm thinking that i was boosting my crankcase, thus the smoke. Hence why i ask you </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah my pcv was stock all the way around except for a breather on the valve cover for 4 out of the 6 months it was running. it was fine then it just started doing this...

then i hollowed out my pcv valve and ran it to a open can... (its a h22 so i dont have that thing in the back of the block) and i just did this about a month ago...

and its still doing this... its actually getting a bit worse i think, the smoking..

i ran 2 nsx's at the same time yesterday and when i left them far behind it was coming out alot when i came to a light... but stopped when the light turned green when i went
Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so smoking on deceleration?

if thats the case i read that it could be your valve stem seals or the turbo seals. are you running a restrictor on the oil feed?

get a leak down test done to see if its turbo or motor.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re:

i bet your oil is backing up in your drain. same exact thing happened to me on my d16z6 with a 14b. I put on a feed restrictor and a better drain and it worked great.

what turbo is it?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 PM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was leaning toward the oil line because i would see oil seeping out of my compressor</TD></TR></TABLE>

definately blown turbo seals
Old 03-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a gt35e turbo...

i wasnt sure on whether to use a restrictor on a -3 line... thought it should be fine...

no smoke on decel or accel, just idle. and when i rev at a stop while its smoking itll stop.

ive blown out a turbo b4 and it smoked while i was driving and i saw oil coming and leaking from the center section. but on this i only see oil seeping out the compressor inlet... not alot, very little. ive heard its normal

im not sire what it is.. im going to get it to st00pid on tuesday to see what he says about it.

im also considering a restrictor. if the restrictor is a .065 wouldnt that make the pressure the same no matter if its on a -4 line or -3... its the same size hole... i dont think it cam make even less pressure on a -3 with it... hole is still the same size... .065
Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: (booja)

I had a similar problem. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1544369
Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (booja)

im not 100% on this but doesnt that turbo REQUIRE an oil restrictor.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not 100% on this but doesnt that turbo REQUIRE an oil restrictor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm i hope not ive been runnin it for 6 months like this...

i know the BB gt35r's have one built in and they are not able to see high pressure... but im not sure if thats with the r's only or gt turbos in general