Notices

smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question

if there is anyone here that has installed the dsm 450cc injectors and the SMC BEFORE having the turbo on their car, I have a question. once you dialed the SMC in as best you could without a wide band o2, did the car idle JUST as smoothly as it did with your stock setup? mine is pretty smooth, but it putters a bit every now and again. this sound description will sound retarded, but I hope no one will make fun of me for it.. if the exhaust sound at idle is basically 'vvvrrrrrrrr', then it sounds like this when it putters, 'vvvvrrrrrrrrr,pu,pu,vvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,pu,vrrr rrrrrr'

make sense? oh yeah, if your car does NOT idle JUST as smoothly as it did stock, why? because of the changed duty cycle?

for reference, I use the stock FPR and the injectors HAVE been cleaned and balanced.

thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (vinny)

i think your running really rich
Old 03-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its never going to idle smoothly with 450cc injectors and an SMC/AFC hack.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if there is anyone here that has installed the dsm 450cc injectors and the SMC BEFORE having the turbo on their car, I have a question. once you dialed the SMC in as best you could without a wide band o2, did the car idle JUST as smoothly as it did with your stock setup? mine is pretty smooth, but it putters a bit every now and again. this sound description will sound retarded, but I hope no one will make fun of me for it.. if the exhaust sound at idle is basically 'vvvrrrrrrrr', then it sounds like this when it putters, 'vvvvrrrrrrrrr,pu,pu,vvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,pu,vrrr rrrrrr'

make sense? oh yeah, if your car does NOT idle JUST as smoothly as it did stock, why? because of the changed duty cycle?

for reference, I use the stock FPR and the injectors HAVE been cleaned and balanced.

thanks in advance for the help.
mine idled like stock

mike
Old 03-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (MikeMAN)

you should be able to idle like stock. try cutting the fuel as much as you can.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (turbod16y8)

well, it's weird, I can't lean it too much. I mean, it will only run properly, or atleast decent if I have the idle correction to about 25% or less. lets say 20% to be safe. if I lean it any more than that, then it really starts to conk. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I use 10 ohm resistors instead of a factory honda resistor box at 6 ohms.. I would LIKE to think it is too rich, and itcertaintly sets the DTC that it is too rich, but like I said, if I lean it any more, it conks out. like it's missing or something. I don't get it.

I seem to be the only one with this problem.

the wiring is good, the injectors are good... there isn't any more to the equation.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:24 PM

I dont have an smc, but i installed 450's on my n/a car and it puts just like yours does. I tried lowering the idle fuel, but it either runs lean, or puts
Old 03-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (UberTeg)

I dont have an smc, but i installed 450's on my n/a car and it puts just like yours does. I tried lowering the idle fuel, but it either runs lean, or puts
that will happen when ur car isn't tuned are you even leaning them out with anything?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (MikeMAN)

i'm directly editing the ecu's fuel curves in the ROM. I dont care what the a/f ratio looks like as long as it idles nicely and i cant seem todo that
Old 03-03-2003, 03:19 AM

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (UberTeg)

if it were the case that the car won't run perfectly until you tune it on a dyno, or wide band lambda sensor, I'd live with that. as soon as I put the turbo on, I'll dyno tune. I'm just making sure that what I'm experiencing now is normal, and not to worry, because the last thing I want to do is install a turbo on a car that already has a problem with the fuel system. that is certain death.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my car idling like stock ... no lies. I did have the VAFC though
Old 03-03-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: smc+dsm450's wihout turbo users - --- question (maztur)

I'm running the VAFC and DSM 450cc's and I have this same problem. The idle is either too lean and the motor dies, or my A/F reads full rich while the car is idling and it "puts" like you say, like it's running rich. It also backfires if I have been idling for a short period then I stomp it a little and let off.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I'm leaning towards a bad or fouled O2 sensor. Every once in a while I get a CEL 43 while cruising (around 2500, not pushing it at all), which others have told me is the result of an O2 sensor which is either A) responding slow or B) giving an out of range reading.

I can see how these three things I'm experiencing (funky idle, backfiring, and CEL's) could all be linked to a faulty O2 sensor (I'm leaning towards fouled/out of range readings on mine, because I was messing with trying to make the greddy bluebox and the VAFC play together, and the car was running SUPER rich at that point (gas was seaping out between my DP flanges ).

Anyway... long story short, the dealership wants 210 bucks for a new O2 sensor so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now..