Notices

Skunk2 ultra or victor x?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 ultra or victor x?

I have a 81.5mm 9.8:1 gsr, stock b16 head with type r cams, car has all supporting mods such as tank to injector fuel system, msd ignition everything, spoolin performance ramhorn with a gt3582r and obviously much more. Power goals I'm looking to make are anything 500 and over. So my question for you guys is what would be the better option here? Victor x or skunk2 ultra (street version)??
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 ultra or victor x?

Bumppppp
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

What's the purpose of the car? What are you trying to do with the turbo other than "500+"? Those are the questions to ask. That helps narrow things down a bit. There's no "X is better than Y.... ALL THE TIME" when it comes to these two manifolds.

What have you been researching so far?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is being built to be a daily drivable car that goes in a straight line rather quickly. Ive read that turbo cars need more mass and by looks the victor x has more mass and larger runners then the skunk2 but I don't know exact measurements.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Turbo cars don't need much "Mass" amount of air. I'm not sure where you're seeing this. The Type of manifold goes with the type of driving and purpose the car goes with. That is why I asked that question.

Victor X - Large plenum / short runners... Efficiency works best with higher RPM from 7000-9000. Made for larger mid-framed turbochargers that plan to drag race.
(This goes the same with Magnus, STR, Golden Eagle, etc, and other sheet metal intake manifolds.

Skunk2 Ultra Street / Pro1, etc

For what you need, it looks as though the Pro1 or at the most Ultra Street is what you need. A Victor X is MUCH more for drag racing only, and not much for commuting duties. The Pro 1 or Edlebrock Performer X uses longer runners with a slightly smaller plenum for much more turbocharger responsiveness , usability, and actually more lower end torque when you're NOT at over 25psi of boost pressure on a GT3582R.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Turbo cars don't need much "Mass" amount of air. I'm not sure where you're seeing this. The Type of manifold goes with the type of driving and purpose the car goes with. That is why I asked that question.

Victor X - Large plenum / short runners... Efficiency works best with higher RPM from 7000-9000. Made for larger mid-framed turbochargers that plan to drag race.
(This goes the same with Magnus, STR, Golden Eagle, etc, and other sheet metal intake manifolds.

Skunk2 Ultra Street / Pro1, etc

For what you need, it looks as though the Pro1 or at the most Ultra Street is what you need. A Victor X is MUCH more for drag racing only, and not much for commuting duties. The Pro 1 or Edlebrock Performer X uses longer runners with a slightly smaller plenum for much more turbocharger responsiveness , usability, and actually more lower end torque when you're NOT at over 25psi of boost pressure on a GT3582R.
Thanks for your help, I think I'm gonna go with the ultra street, sounds to be the best streetable / trackable intake manifold. The car will have a wastegate boost tune and a 20+ psi race gas tune for the track. So hopefully this manifold shines in both situations.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your makign the right decision for your build. IDK if the street ultra has different size plenums but keep in mind larger volume plenum is for more rpm. IE if your not running cams and valve train to support higher rpm stick with smaller plenum size