Notices

B18B turbo build: concerns about engine condition

Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default B18B turbo build: concerns about engine condition

I dont really know what forum to put this thread in, so mods please move it if necessary. The reason I chose the FI forum is that I am boosting this engine and I have posted threads in this forum previously with great feedback. Anyway, after searching for the cleanest example available, I purchased a JDM B18B from an engine depot in a nearby state and drove a few hours to get it. When I got there, I checked it out and everything looked mint (as you will see in the pictures.) I paid and left. I pulled the valve cover today (I know, I should have pulled it there, but it just looked soooo clean) and I see rust on the cams and rockers - and it looks bad. Ive seen surface rust before on cams but this is some shitty rust. Another tech at the shop where I work said itll be fine, just fire it up and change the oil after a few hundred miles. I was able to scrape some off with my fingernail and some of it seemed soft, like it hadnt rusted through the actual metal. I dont know though, I think it looks pretty bad. Ive bought JDM and USDM engines before and this is the only one Ive been genuinely concerned about. Anyway, should I replace the rockers and cams? Should i crank it up and let it ride? Should i demand a partial refund?
Attached Images    
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: B18B turbo build: concerns about engine condition

I've seen much worse. You're ok. You can take the head off and get it cleaned up, but it can still function.

As for getting a refund, you won't get that. Those are assumed to be "as-is" sales.

Don't panic.

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ima ASE certified tech that looks fine. If you want spray it with penetrating oil or something and when it runs it will be ok.
Super clean motor
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by somalia757
Ima ASE certified tech that looks fine. If you want spray it with penetrating oil or something and when it runs it will be ok.
Super clean motor
Originally Posted by TheShodan
I've seen much worse. You're ok. You can take the head off and get it cleaned up, but it can still function.

As for getting a refund, you won't get that. Those are assumed to be "as-is" sales.

Don't panic.
Thanks guys. I poured some oil on the cams and put bearing grease on the lobes. I might take the cams out to clean the rocker pads but haven't decided yet. Hopefully the engine will be alright.