Notices

Skunk2 K-Series Ultra Series Race Intake Manifold - OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 K-Series Ultra Series Race Intake Manifold - OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 K-Series Ultra Series Race Intake Manifold - OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE!

I'm still not 100% sold on this manifold...

It seems that the large plenum volume, in addition to the short intake runner length and large intake runner internal cross section will only show benefits at high rpms... that is the manifold won't show a gain in the low or midrange of the powerband and if anything will actually loose power in those areas compared to the pro series manifold and even the victor x.

Am I wrong? Coming from someone who doesn't drag race (road course/circuit/mountain runs only), I don't see this manifold having any presence on a road course car. It seems to me this manifold would only benefit those who drag race or stay in the higher end of the rpm range for long periods of time
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 K-Series Ultra Series Race Intake Manifold - OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE!

Originally Posted by wantboost
Am I wrong?
Yes, on the right motor this manifold out performs everything except the best custom manifolds. When I say outperforms, I mean on the dyno and at the track. I give skunk2 credit for doing a nice job.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Where are the dyno results then?

I'd be curious to see a dyno chart of their pro series manifold and then this ultra manifold (no porting, spacers, etc) on a mid framed turbo like a 3076r, 93 octane and the same boost level

I'm willing to bet the ultra manifold has less midrange power
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be curious to see a dyno chart of their pro series manifold and then this ultra manifold (no porting, spacers, etc) on a mid framed turbo like a 3076r, 93 octane and the same boost level

Do you really think people that race are going to put dyno charts and specs on the internet.

The one way you will know for sure is take the plunge and try for yourself. All of this speculation is pointless.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll put a paycheck on it that says it makes more in the mid range.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
I'll put a paycheck on it that says it makes more in the mid range.
Let me have some of the winnings also.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mar778c
Do you really think people that race are going to put dyno charts and specs on the internet.

The one way you will know for sure is take the plunge and try for yourself. All of this speculation is pointless.
I support Skunk2, I got friends that work for skunk2, the R/d that went into this manifold was awesome..I believe this manifold is one of THE best on the market..

Your response isn't just valid for a manifold, it can be valid for everything in aftermarket parts.. some people just want results because its a lot of money to spend.. but its a quality part.. at least to me..

I too also see wantboost's point of view, but there's a lot of race teams that use this manifold with outstanding results, and as far as I am concern winning races > Dyno results.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH
I support Skunk2, I got friends that work for skunk2, the R/d that went into this manifold was awesome..I believe this manifold is one of THE best on the market..

Your response isn't just valid for a manifold, it can be valid for everything in aftermarket parts.. some people just want results because its a lot of money to spend.. but its a quality part.. at least to me..

I too also see wantboost's point of view, but there's a lot of race teams that use this manifold with outstanding results, and as far as I am concern winning races > Dyno results.
I've been very fortunate to see how this manifold performs on the dyno and at thunderhill. I would definitely vouch for this product but it had better be on an engine that has some output capability.

Dyno's are tool to measure output just like the stopwatch.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by DDTECH

Yea I mean from a road course point of view, how this manifold affects the powercurve could mean a change in driving style, gearing, tuning, turbo response, etc. So it's nice to just to have a visual comparison of how this manifold will change the power curve over the more commonly used pro series manifolds. Thats all. I'm not saying this isn't a great intake manifold, it just seems from the features list it's geared more towards drag racing and high rpm power production
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are enough parts to choose from these days and folks should know what to select for their particular builds. Especially for intake manifolds, there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Obviously, this won't be the intake manifold of choice for a 300WHP B-series with a GT28 turbo looking for a 3000-6000RPM band.

Assuming the setup that can run a set of cams to efficiently make power between 5000-9500RPM (e.g. tubular manifold, headwork, medium frame 500+ HP turbo ), this would be a good intake manifold to run.

You can effectively road race a 500 WHP setup if the car is set up properly to put the power down... A car & driver combo that can effectively use 500 WHP must be going pretty darn fast, and I would also think that they would have their gear ratios and driving style sorted out to use this type of powerband
Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'm building my car to make 450-500whp with a powerband you described second. Although I'm trying for 3500/4000-9000. I'll be using GSC T1s and a Mitsubishi te06h turbine (67.2/58.8) based turbo, t25 turbine housing, 25c compressor wheel (55/78 inducer exducer, it's like a 20g/25g hybrid with a gtx style single blade wheel) tubular t25 manifold, tial 38. Built 10.5:1cr ls/vtec with way too much custom **** lol. The goal is to make as much midrange-upper rpm power and torque as possible on 93 with meth injection. My current plan was to do a custom 46mm itb setup for that instant throttle response and modulation, not to mention how they will help with midrange and top end power

The goal is to beat our 600rwhp c6 z06 track car around Atlanta Motorsports Park (it snacks on R35s so it won't be an easy task) but with my lighter weight, similar power, overly complex and expensive inboard coilover mounted pushrod/cantilever suspension, retarded brakes and super sticky tires I'll give it my all. Most of the track is tight and technical, mostly 2nd in the various turns and elevation changes, some corners can carry 3rd gear well and the broad left hander onto the front straight is all 4th gear if you've got the tires and suspension for it. There's a small middle straight where I could probably tach out 3rd but then it's an immediate drop to 70 or below for a tight 90* L that has a 100ft elevation drop followed by a tight 90* R uphill 150ft to a blind opening 90* R that turns into the broad, opening left hander to the front straight, which has about 50-75ft of drop. Super fun track but the z06 makes so muchttorque (580ftlbs to the wheels) that even on Hoosier r6 slicks the car really has to stay in third for the tight turns because in 2nd it's a smoke show (14" wide slicks on the rear too) so that very well could be my advantage, that my dad can't get into 2nd to power hard out of corners but it will still pin you to your seat at low speed full throttle in 3rd

Sometimes though a drastic change in how the motor produces power can result in a slight change in driving style here and there and when on a track you know all to well where the only goal is post the fastest hotlal a lot of times it fells like having to learn the course all over again... anyone that has a "home" track will know what I mean

P.S. tony, you've always been a big driving force in how I'm building my setup. I saw how ridiculously quick your old teg was and said... I need that. But now with your new teg I'm super jealous of your attention to detail and degree of execution. That turbo brace really has my eye... need. more. info. Lol

Last edited by wantboost; 09-27-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are gonna be building this car for a centry Wantboost LOL You would probably benefit more from the older pro manifold or the new ultra street version. People buying the Ultra "race" intake manifold are doing just that racing with big numbers. I just sold my Victor and ordered an Ultra my self. Cant wait to use it.

nice to see these available for the K's now Thanks for the post Ben
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Haha it feels like it sometimes. But I have a written plan and I'm getting all my parts and ducks in a row so I can make progress with little interruption.

What's the ultra street version? I have a pro series now but am planning on selling it so i can run my 46mm itbs. But if there's an easier option, I'd be inclined to explore it
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha it feels like it sometimes. But I have a written plan and I'm getting all my parts and ducks in a row so I can make progress with little interruption.

What's the ultra street version? I have a pro series now but am planning on selling it so i can run my 46mm itbs. But if there's an easier option, I'd be inclined to explore it
The street version isn't available for the K yet.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'm not running a k series, b series only, ls/vtec to be exact
Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
You are gonna be building this car for a centry Wantboost LOL You would probably benefit more from the older pro manifold or the new ultra street version. People buying the Ultra "race" intake manifold are doing just that racing with big numbers. I just sold my Victor and ordered an Ultra my self. Cant wait to use it.

nice to see these available for the K's now Thanks for the post Ben
Anytime!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not running a k series, b series only, ls/vtec to be exact
Oh ok then the Ultra Street manifold would be a better option for you than the Ultra Race, especially at half the price.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I didn't even realize this was for the K motors... I could've sworn it said B series... don't read threads when tired lol

I'll look into the street version, as while this is a track car, I'm trying to focus more on the midrange power and torque more so then other areas, I will still need some top end power but nothing like I need in the midrange so if power drops off that's fine with me
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had the Victor X last year, just upgraded to the 4.5L Ultra Race and 3" fmic piping and a 90mm TB and i honestly can't say it made that much of a difference...

Yes i made about 30whp more but boost was a psi higher. Powerband is almost identical. Maybe i needed the 5.5L but yeah.. Can't say i am sold on it.