Notices

SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries????

Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries????

hey, i was just wondering if anyone has experience with the skunk2 turbo cams???will you recommend them?also any experience with the valves,springs and retainers i would appretiate any help ...i currently have a stock head on my b18c and im looking at some parts to gain some more power..
Old 07-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (b18cgt35r)

The skunk2 turbo cams are junk...get some itr/gsr cams
Old 07-02-2006, 03:47 AM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (T4eg)

your really think?will they be as good as aftermarket cams for F/I?when you say gsr cams do you mean stock b18c non type R cams?im from Australia dont know much about the gsr engine(us spec).Ive also heard of rocket motorsports,they make cams for F/I,how are they?thanks again
Old 07-02-2006, 04:23 AM

I think he means a stock gsr intake cam, and a stock type r exhaust cam, thats what I'm runnning in my setup.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (sc4dr)

or just running either or just get a set of gsr or itr. If you can do the mis match... i seen tons of ppl make crazy power with these cams.. you can also save a few bucks by grabbing some used ones.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (T4eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T4eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The skunk2 turbo cams are junk...get some itr/gsr cams </TD></TR></TABLE>

or CTR
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (boostfeen)

i dont see how OEM cams can make same or more power then aftermarket turbo cams...any aftermarket cams?????
Old 07-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest with you, some of these guys posting don't have first hand experience. They always talk about other people making power and not themselves. Stock B16 and GSR cams suck for boost. They will work, but why use a cam with lower lift than an aftermarket turbo cam. Does that make sense? I have had 4 different cam setups, B16, GSR, Skunk2 stage1, and now turbo cams. Turbo cams worked way better than all for my setup. I would say look into all the turbo cam makers and look at the durations and lifts for the different cams and make your decision.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (crucian)

thanks very much crucian,i will do that mate
Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 AM

Well there you are dead wrong later on I will post something for you to read gsr stock cams are great on boost from my experience with cam test, turbo cams scavenge for power like hell in the upper rpms and for a gsr or a b16 oem or itr cams are the way to go and who ever told you that its not, is stupid and need to do some more research and if they are a tuner tell them to try some cam tests on boost and compare the results we did it and oem cams and itr cams on a gsr and b16 made more power and pulled hell alot harder to the upper rpms than the turbo cams did my opinion is turbo cams are a waste of money from experience their just hype I mean whats so good about them I havent seen them do anything great!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tekturbo)

so tell me why when I switched to turbo cams I gained almost .8 second on the 1/4 mile, same setup, same boost on the first pass after the switch? B16 sucked ***** man. The Skunk2 Stage1 N/A cams pulled way harder than the B16 up top. I had to take the Skunks out because I had a midrange problem. As soon as VTEC engaged, the car fell flat on it's face. My buddy had GSRs, I gave him my skunk2s cause I baught turbo cams, now he wants to sell the GSRs to buy my Skunk2s. He loved the difference the S2S1 made. I rode in his car when he had the GSRs, **** felt like my car when I had my B16s. So then I gave him my turbo cams cause my car is down. As soon as VTEC engages, the power is felt. The S2S1s had that flat spot. I have a post somewhere where I posted the difference in fuel each setup took. I had to add a lot more fuel for the turbo cams than the S2S1. Meaning that air was being maintained in the cylinders and not being pushed out before it was meant to. For the creator of this post, do your setup a favor and don't go stock B16 or GSRs. Like I sid before, why would you use a cam with lower lift. That just doesn't make sense.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:23 PM

So you are trying to tell me cams gave you a better quater mile , not likely I dont think it was the cam because one oem gsr are known to be great on boost maybe its just something else in your setup because with my own two eyes on the dyno Ive seen that turbo cams can be garbage in gsr setups most of the time and I seen it on the dyna pack not no quater mile to where you can fix your clutch and throw on slicks and run a better quater mile . Maybe thats what made you run better not the cams. by the way my setup was shiet with crower turbo cams compared to my oems ones now and for the record my upper rpm pulled nothing to play with compared to those shitty *** turbo cams.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crucian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be honest with you, some of these guys posting don't have first hand experience. They always talk about other people making power and not themselves. Stock B16 and GSR cams suck for boost. They will work, but why use a cam with lower lift than an aftermarket turbo cam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry my car has been over 500whp for past 3 years ...recently hit 730whp on ITR cams made 600 last year on GSR cams. So in regards to OEM cams IMO they (gsr/itr/ctr) are better than MOST turbo cams out there. And i have daily use on dynojet to prove my statement
Old 07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crucian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be honest with you, some of these guys posting don't have first hand experience. They always talk about other people making power and not themselves. Stock B16 and GSR cams suck for boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...i won't touch this one because it shows how little you know.
T4eg sums it up for you. OEM cams are proven to make big power. a select few of turbo cams are nice(does not include CROWER or SKANK2 garbage). BUT...its all in the TUNE..**NO TUNE NO LIFE**
Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Are crowers really that bad? I seen some ppl use them and they like em.. i knew skunks were grabge but not crower too.

My car will be tuned this week with itr cams. I'll get you a dyno sheet man.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or CTR </TD></TR></TABLE>

S2 Stage 1 are pretty good for a turbo setup too. Yes I know from first hand experience and the Dyno doesnt lie.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries????

thanks for everyones replies and comments about the OEM/AFTERMARKET business coz now im really confused ,what would be a better option out of the stock cams i have in my engine now, (which i dont think they are helping at all)ITR or CTR cams?????,on a australian dyno my car pulled a 280whp at 14 psi with a gt35r turbo with a .62 ar,that is preety dissapointing for me,coz my mate with a b16a got a little over 300whp on 17 psi of boost with just a t3/t4 setup with a bigger throtlebody and intake manifold,same tuner except he had HONDATA and i use MICROTECH
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a select few of turbo cams are nice(does not include CROWER or SKANK2 garbage)</TD></TR></TABLE>

so which are these that are nice??
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 PM

wow... 280whp at 14psi... were you on a dynojet? because that is weaksauce man. I made 266whp @ 13psi Are you internals stock? maybe you are having restrictions in and out.

how big is your exhaust? do you have a cat?

3inch for that turbo man that'll free up some ponies.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you people really need to search more. There are numerous posts about N/A cams with boost. All you need to understand is the dynamics behind it, and you can see what will make power and what won't.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (bigbadboy)

Like I said before, do your own research. I went with the crower turbo cams because they had the most lift and duration than the other turbo cams. The reason I ended up with the skunk2 stage1 was because I listen to everyone on these boards about N/A cams this and that. These cams were close enough to the ITRs that's why I got them. My buddy with a 9 second hatch told me to go with crowers from the beginning but I didnt listen to him, now I had to spend more money to get the crowers. But to each his own. I just got tired of doing one cam gear adjustment after the other and tuning after tuning on the S2S1s. No doubt the S2S1 made power on topend but the rest of the power band was missing. Im talking about 7500+. Where as the crower turbo cams make power as soon as VTEC engages and on. I rev my motor to 9300 on the crowers with no problem. I ran 13s on a 1000ft elevation concrete track that goes up hill (there isnt too many good tracks here in Germany) with the S2S1. Now I run 12s. Oh yeh, and the 12 second runs were with a passenger in the car. All I did was change the cams and did a 30 minutes tune on the street to get the AFRs right. Ok, Im done. Do your own research, just don't get the B16 or GSRs. If anything, go with ITRs or CTRs. None of us on here can tell you what will work on your setup. Your tuner may tune different from me or anyone else. Crower turbos worked for me.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:32 AM

I agree with you as far as getting your own experience with the products and that is alot of peoples problem in this scene today I respect you for going out and seeing for your self but as far as tuning goes it can be any little thing that can give you a restriction on power not just cams. If you are running a too small of an exhaust that will restrict power maybe the fuel feed is not as strong as it should be far as injector size fuel pump size etc, those things people forget about when they talk about tuning and power gains. Countless amounts of people never think about the tuner or the ems system that they are running bcause I sometimes forget that it is the tuner 9 times out of ten .
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tekturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tekturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Countless amounts of people never think about the tuner or the ems system that they are running bcause I sometimes forget that it is the tuner 9 times out of ten .</TD></TR></TABLE> True!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you people really need to search more. There are numerous posts about N/A cams with boost. All you need to understand is the dynamics behind it, and you can see what will make power and what won't. </TD></TR></TABLE> I did search and that's how I ended up choosing a N/A cam which now I want to get rid of.

Another thing I never understood is, why get a cam with a lot of duration and lower lift then try to take out the overlap with cam gears when you can just get a cam with lower duration higer lift and be set? There is only so much you can go with cam gear adjustment. I went almost +7 advance on the intake just trying to get it running right. Go here for a comparison of all the cams we talked about then make your decision. http://www.crower.com/cat/impo...shtml
As you can see, the crower turbos have similar durations to the stocks, but has greater lift. Like I said I chose the crowers based on theory and my buddy. You need lift to bring air in and out and duration to move your powerband. If you notice with all the cams on the market you'll see that the more duration they have, the power is moved higher and higher in the RPM range. I think that's what was happening to me with the S2S1s.

Modified by crucian at 2:16 PM 7/4/2006
Old 07-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crucian)

Damn, crower need to pay my *** for this **** since I'm the only true believer!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:27 AM

Default Re: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries???? (sirguy01)

yes 280whp on a AUSSIE dyno that is preety good,US dynos seem too read very high,we have silvias and skylines here making 320whp at around 18psi i have 3inch dumppipe all the way through i have a very good set up my block is fully worked but even compared to my mates set ups i should have easy 300whp at 14 psi,it is dissapointing and plus i never got to run the car in proply (only 400kms)due to faulty ecu not reading crank angle proply that also could of been the propblem and maybe my tuner restricted the power????just incase something goes BOOM!!! coz i really did spend alot of money on this setup,AU$16000

Here is a link to my garage with the specs of my engine

https://honda-tech.com/gara...=5274

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SKUNK2 cams on turbo Bseries????