Notices

Single slam turbo build and pistons

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single slam turbo build and pistons

So My 95 civic ex is my daily driver/beater. My goals are to have to fun aqnd kinda quick car.

My piston rings are gojng out, when I am WOT my car smokes, I have aqlready replaced the valve seals.

Anyway, I decided to piece together a turbo kit for funs sake. Im going to use a 14B and do 6-10 psi . Now, before I slap turbo on her, I have to do something about the rings, I figured while im at it, Ill add the Vitara pistons/Hastings rings, put in new rod, main bearings.

I know I shouldnt skimp out on rods, but at low boost they should be fine I suppos ?

When buying the Vitara pistons, 75mm is the size I want in them ? (D15B vtec)
Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (Metal Head)

So i guess im going to do the eagle rods and Vitara pistons. Any suggestions on bearings?

Is it really suggested to do block gaurd/head studs ? ?

Now im off to find a gasket set. Cometic ?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.fjdistributors.com/

just by a pre-made bottom end from them its the most cost effective thing to do and cuts out alot of work
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (tony413)

You trust there head gaskets? I kow felpro is a good MLS gasket.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i rock OEM honda HG's
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM

cometic=waist
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Anyone Like Tuner toys Rods ?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cometic=waist </TD></TR></TABLE>

not true cosmetic work its just my personal pref to use OEM.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Anyone Like Tuner toys Rods ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they are good rods
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cometic=waist </TD></TR></TABLE> waist? you mean waste?

that's besides the point. why would you say it's a waste? waste of money? are you speaking from bad experiences?

the guys who built my block recommended Cometic. They have over 40 years of combined experience as opposed to my 8 years. I think I would trust them more over 100 people on an internet forum. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people here don't know what they're talking about.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM

What you think about a 14b on da single slam ?

so imma do the vitar pistons and eather the Eagles or Tuner toys Rods with OEM or Felpro head geakset.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will get you 180whp idk how much you can push it though.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Re: (tony413)

I just want a fun daily driver, I already have my 385 whp zx2. I wonder hopw mutch boost stock rods/pistons can take.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Metal Head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just want a fun daily driver, I already have my 385 whp zx2. I wonder hopw mutch boost stock rods/pistons can take. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can do 10psi on them without much trouble. I would say much over 250whp you are asking for trouble. I would at LEAST do headstuds for 10psi though.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

well I guess to simplify things imma just replace the pistons rings, do a nice hone job, and slap the 14B on it.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Anyone Like Tuner toys Rods ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

get the fjt custom length rods, if you don´t want 7,45:1 cr...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (lonestarEE9)

Just order the FJT kit and be done with it.The stock rods are made of pressed pop cans and are good for nothing.The headgasket is fine in that kit any MLS gasket is good enough.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (90dxhmt)

Crappy tuning (detonation-prone) will destroy ringlands first, and bend rods/ruin bearings if you don't catch it quickly. Lots of power (detonation-free) will bend your rods before it hurts anything else.

The one problem with using stock rods with vitaras is the floating wrist the vitaras use. Its not a good idea to use them with stock rods since stock = pressed in.

A 14b with a D16 is a decent combo. You could look forward to 200-240whp, depending on your setup, along with a decently fast spool.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (HiProfile)

Good deal, Imma just do a stock block for now, mabey some ARP head studs.
Im rebuilding my block freshy new with bearings and rings and a nice hone.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good deal, Imma just do a stock block for now, mabey some ARP head studs.
Im rebuilding my block freshy new with bearings and rings and a nice hone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are planning on anything over 10psi, headstuds are just short of a must. If you plan to push more then 250, save yourself the time and trouble and get the rods right now also. Vitaras are really not that expensive either, $140 SHIPPED with the rings.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My goals are to have to fun aqnd kinda quick car.
Im going to use a 14B and do 6-10 psi
When buying the Vitara pistons, 75mm is the size I want in them ? (D15B vtec)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay so a few things here. I'd love to sell you a set of rods and pistons, and a gasket, but I'd rather that you be totally happy with your car when your project is completed. We had a Vitara/TT Rod engine, just like the one you are talking about building with a 14B on it. It was fun to drive, but only in-boost. The compression ration was so low, that the car was a dog off-boost. (We had the 14B maxed out at 11psi.)

If you are only going to do 6-10psi, and your tune is good, you can run all of your stock internals. There are tons of kits out there running stock internals every day. At a minimum, you can get away with a ream, hone, and re-ring, and be boosted.

If you are dead set on upgrading the bottom end, and want to definitely run Vitaras, then get the FJT combo deal mentioned above. FJT has a great product with the special length rods for the Vitara pistons. Your final CR will be much better than our rods with the Vitaras.

If you plan on going big boost later on, and you are not going to pay for a proper tune, then a lower compression ration will be your friend. Vitaras on our rods will yield a lower CR than the FJT rods. The car will be slower off-boost, but more forgiving if you are tuning yourself.

Headstuds, and a Gasket are always a good idea.

I hope that helps,

Craig

__________________________________________________ __________________

ARP Headstud Hardware from Tuner Toys
Cometic Head Gaskets from Tuner Toys
Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (TunerToys)

That reply makes me want to buy your products even more...

Yeah I really didnt like the 8:5:1 comp the vit would give me, I didnt think about the TT rods would make it lower. If Anything Id plan on decking the head/block.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single slam turbo build and pistons (TunerToys)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TunerToys &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay so a few things here. I'd love to sell you a set of rods and pistons, and a gasket, but I'd rather that you be totally happy with your car when your project is completed. We had a Vitara/TT Rod engine, just like the one you are talking about building with a 14B on it. It was fun to drive, but only in-boost. The compression ration was so low, that the car was a dog off-boost. (We had the 14B maxed out at 11psi.)

If you are only going to do 6-10psi, and your tune is good, you can run all of your stock internals. There are tons of kits out there running stock internals every day. At a minimum, you can get away with a ream, hone, and re-ring, and be boosted.

If you are dead set on upgrading the bottom end, and want to definitely run Vitaras, then get the FJT combo deal mentioned above. FJT has a great product with the special length rods for the Vitara pistons. Your final CR will be much better than our rods with the Vitaras.

If you plan on going big boost later on, and you are not going to pay for a proper tune, then a lower compression ration will be your friend. Vitaras on our rods will yield a lower CR than the FJT rods. The car will be slower off-boost, but more forgiving if you are tuning yourself.

Headstuds, and a Gasket are always a good idea.

I hope that helps,

Craig
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only point that I'd like to make is that you can get a lot of that "doggedness" out of boost out of the car by putting a lot of timing back in the car under vac. Especially with 93, you have plenty of room. My car out of boost drives like a normal Dseries would, but that is a "dog" compared to what happens when she spools up.