Notices

Simple Question- Arp Main studs. Line hone or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Question- Arp Main studs. Line hone or not?

As the tittle states those using arp main studs is a line hone nessacary?

buddy of mine is doing a N/a build the block was bare so he bought arp main studs. I told him im pretty sure a line hone is required using them, its a big risk not doing so? Is this correct

reason im posting in here is im sure more people have used Arp mains in FI applications than all motor....I think they are overkill for his build but seeing how OEM main bolts cost about the same as the arp main stud kit i see his logic...however i think he will run into more issues if he doesnt have it line honed.

what are youre views?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Simple Question- Arp Main studs. Line hone or not?

Yes, the mains need line honing or at least checking. I wouldnt use them unless you REALLY have to. The stock bolts are up to the job most of the time.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Yes, the mains need line honing or at least checking. I wouldnt use them unless you REALLY have to. The stock bolts are up to the job most of the time.
Yea im with you here....i dont see a benefit unless youre making serious horsepower. He needed the mains so i see why he got arp and not OEM since they are basically the same price. I just think its not a good idea.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The arp's require more tq then the oem bolts so it could cause the bore to be out of round.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc34dc4
The arp's require more tq then the oem bolts so it could cause the bore to be out of round.
Line hone yes

Ifg youre not making at LEAST 800 why bothering with them has always baffled me.

OEMs are 38 bux a set.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this thread isn't too old, I've got a similar question on the same topic.

I've seen it stated before that the ARP main studs are over kill for engines making less than 7-800hp, but being my first bottom end build, I already purchased them hoping for a little extra insurance.

If I were to use the ARP main studs, I'd have to check the mains and line hone them to ensure roundness. Now I already have ACL Race bearings all around in std sizes, but I think I'm not comprehending something correctly. It is my understanding that ACL doesn't offer different clearance options like OEM bearings, but they do offer different sizes?? If this is the case, would it make sense to trade my unopened ACL main bearings for a plus-size and just line hone/bore the mains exactly to those specs? Or am I totally misunderstanding ACL's sizing options? My rationale behind this is similar to boring a cylinder .020 over and just using an over-sized piston to ensure straightness and roundness, though I realize that my crank mains won't be over-sized. If I'm way off base here, just tell me. If using new OEM bolts would allow me to just check the mains and likely forgo honing all-together, I might consider doing that, though my concern again is clearances using the ACL bearings.

Also, is it necessary for the machine shop to use a torque plate on the block if they do use the ARPs and line hone? If so, can they just use a spare head of mine with my old ARP head studs?

I would very much appreciate some perspective on this...

Last edited by AFAccord; 12-18-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many uses are the OEM main bolts good for?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

line honing is like an extra $140-180 depending on which machine shop you go to... I just had to go through that process due to me using main caps & bolts from a different donor block for my sleeved setup.....i personally like the idea of using Honda bolts they hold up for a reason and they are designed by honda...thats enough insurance for me... but seeing as how the OP HAD to buy a set i would opt to get themline honed...think about how much you will lose by NOT getting it done? To me assembly is the most important stage on a build the second is the tune......dont be cheap now you will regret it later like so many have