Notices

Sick of NA, neeed boost and Help asap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of NA, neeed boost and Help asap.

Hi all

Im a noob from the UK. Need some advice, decided that NA sucks as aftera few engines and $20,000 i need boost for a change. Wanna use a B16a2 Motor, using my GSR head with skunk2 valvetrain but GSR cams. Need to forge the bottom end, looked at Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods? Any other ones that are better for the money? Using a Turbo kit with a T3/T4, FMIC kit and cast manifold to get me started and il map with crome pro or gold, il upgrade bits as i go along etc... Dont really wanna use a block guard or sleeves so wondered on power/boost limits etc on B16 stock liners..

Cheers all for help Marc
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

300whp stock b16a on a good tune
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really? U mean stock liners, but forged low comp i pressume? God id love that sort of power. Any advice for me on turbo's etc...Iv also got 100 octane fuel at the pumps here in the uk so il be using that. Oh and the turbo specs are:

T3 / T4 FOOTPRINT

SPECS:

.50 A/R / .83 HOT SIDE

STAGE V WHEEL

TURBONETICS CAST HOUSING

BALANCED AND BLUEPRINTED AND COMPRESSION TESTED

Let me no what u think. Hopefully this turbo can do 350whp or whatever.

Last edited by MadVTI; 12-01-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, he means on a 100% OEM block, you can safely make 300whp. By the way, before you buy a turbo of any kind, research a bit more. I would NEVER suggest the turbo you just listed fyi. That's not really a good match for the flow rate and size of our engines...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, what would be a better option? Thats what comes with the shitty starter kit me and my mate were looking at? With a view to upgrade the turbo as required. Do u mean it will struggle to spool etc... Cheers for help, please bear in mind im a boost noob. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Man U FTW

I'd like to see a link to this turbo kit. It doesn't sound like your best option so far...If you're a noob, there are a few things to avoid when buying a setup.

The best option for you right now is to research. Determine how much power you want and we can fill in the gaps.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really appreciate ur help and input mate. LIke i said im gonna run like a wiseco and eagle build on me bottom end, then need a **** kit to getme started. I guess eventually id love to get 350 whp if thats possible. Iv also got some RC 550cc's to get me started. Iv posted the link for the B series turbo kit, Thanks mate. Marc

The site is http://www.alxmic.com/uk_turbo_cat_kitturbo.php

I know it aint ideal but i need a good starter turbo kit for around $1000 so cant see much else. Il upgrade stuff after if need be.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadVTI
Really? U mean stock liners, but forged low comp i pressume? God id love that sort of power. Any advice for me on turbo's etc...Iv also got 100 octane fuel at the pumps here in the uk so il be using that. Oh and the turbo specs are:

T3 / T4 FOOTPRINT

SPECS:

.50 A/R / .83 HOT SIDE

STAGE V WHEEL

TURBONETICS CAST HOUSING

BALANCED AND BLUEPRINTED AND COMPRESSION TESTED

Let me no what u think. Hopefully this turbo can do 350whp or whatever.

sounds like an ebay turbo to me by the " specs" and wording of that . stay away from ebay !
Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they have sum other t3t4 57 trim turbos on the site. Am i better of looking at those 2 add to the kit? Or where else does good starter kits. I need pipes, clamps, oil lines n **** u see, and they are hard to get here 4 good prices. Hence why i thawt a cheap kit would be good to get the basics etc..
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300whp can easily be done 100% stock block, 350 is not unattainable also
with eagle and wiseco's (properly done) 350-400whp is not unreasonable on pump with a good tune.

deciding wich turbo to get in this stage is pretty much figuring out what you want for spool charactarics and future goals as there are many turbo's who will get a b16 in the 350-400 whp region on pumpgas.
better get a second hand quality turbo that you can rebuild then a ebay turbo that hit or miss kinda ****.

start looking around here for similar setups (stock b16's) and see with wich turbo they spool where and make power where. or better, learn how to read compressor maps!

and start enjoying the ease of wich honda's are being turboed, free tuning software on the incredible stock ecu (instead of some other brands where you are doomed to use expensive standalones)

have fun
Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't recommend anything from that site. If you are going to spend money forging your bottom end and running a built head don't cheap out on the kit. The one you have the link to is garbage. Keep looking and keep up the research. If your goal is really on 350whp there are plenty of good quality kits out there that will reach that.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

better run stock rods/pistons and a good kit/management then a forged bottom with crap kit/ crap management

edit: you can also piece together your own kit

get a secondhand journal bearing turbo in good condition, people seem to have succes with either holset turbo's and mitsu/suby turbo's(mitsu/suby a little small for my taste but to each his own) 50-250$
there are ebay fmic's that work just fine for budget setups 100-200$
DIY intercooling piping and downpipe 50-100$
injectors 50-100$
manifold (don't cheap out on this one, rather a quality cast then a chinchong tubular) 250-500$
bov 10-200$
misc 100$
ecu chipping+free crome 35$
there ya go for 650-1500 you can boost your nuts off

Last edited by wolve; 12-02-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Man U FTW

I agree. Dont skimp on the setup. If anything, lower your goals slightly and stay with the bottom end so you can use the money on a proper turbo setup. I would budget no less than $3-3500 if you want a quality setup including a tune and clutch. Check the Marketplace if you want to find good parts at very competitive prices. I wouldn't buy parts anywhere else...
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna build a tough bottom end. So gonna use rods and pistons. Iv got 550cc RC injectors, itr oil pump, ITR LSD box, Chrome pro etc.. Mapping not an issue. Thats covered. Iv got a gsr head with full full Skunk2 Valvetrain and B16 cams ready to go on, Venom intake mani. Thats my engine done. Just want advise on turbo setup for about $1000 ya see. Il get a FMIC off the net.

What i need then is a good turbo to spool about 3500rpm and make power to 8000rpm, good waste gate, bov etc... to finish me off.

Cheers guys Marc
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadVTI
they have sum other t3t4 57 trim turbos on the site. Am i better of looking at those 2 add to the kit? Or where else does good starter kits. I need pipes, clamps, oil lines n **** u see, and they are hard to get here 4 good prices. Hence why i thawt a cheap kit would be good to get the basics etc..

might want to link us to whatever you're lookin at to see if its even legit
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just order one of these and be done with the search for parts....

peakboost
afi
full race
boost flow

very very good products and they give you almost everything you need....you wont be dissapointed
Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The link was here as stated above.

http://www.alxmic.com/uk_turbo_cat_kitturbo.php

Its a shop in Canada i believe. Cheers
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going to spend all that money building a bottom end don't crap out on the turbo kit. These no name manufactures build crap. Those turbos on that site you provided look like chinese eBay turbos. You are going to have to spend more than $1000 for a good setup it's just reality. Tial makes great wastegastes and BOVs. If you skimp out here you could suffer from over boosting (wastegate sticks) or from compressor surge (BOV sticks). Crappy manifolds will crack or also cause overboosting from horrible WG placement. Crappy IC piping and couplers will cause boost leaks and the pipes will be popping off left and right. Crappy turbo will lead to blown seals and no boost. Basically one of these kits is nothing more than a waste of money IMO. Every element of a turbo kit is important in it's own right. Research and understand why $1000 is not going to get you a new reliable setup. For right around $2000 you can have a great setup though.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Man U FTW

^^ You really made that sound terrible....good job

That's seriously the reality of buying garbage parts. Dont do it
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK i get ur point, il do some more research. I looked at the peak boost, afi and full race kits but all are $3500+. Boost flow kit was $2500 and looked ok. Its such a mine field.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

listen to them /\

also if you look at the products on that page you see what crowd there attracting

Lambo doors / vertical doors
17" Wheels
Power chip
DVD / screens
Turbo kits
FREE shipping policy
HID Xenon kit
Air Ride Suspension kit

it's a ricers paradise, looks oke but won't get you anywhere fast.

save up and you'll be so much happyer in the end (i can know, i'm a college studen who has to pay everything in life for itself)
Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolve
listen to them /\

also if you look at the products on that page you see what crowd there attracting

Lambo doors / vertical doors
17" Wheels
Power chip
DVD / screens
Turbo kits
FREE shipping policy
HID Xenon kit
Air Ride Suspension kit

it's a ricers paradise, looks oke but won't get you anywhere fast.

save up and you'll be so much happyer in the end (i can know, i'm a college studen who has to pay everything in life for itself)

Cheers mate, il have a look around.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Man U FTW

I agree that the kits available in the Marketplace can get a bit spendy, but you have other options. I personally have never bought a "kit." I'm a big fan of building your setup yourself. Pick up parts from here and there and build what YOU want rather than settling for what's available. Good luck. If you have any questions or need suggestions, let us know!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that engine performance can be improved with a turbo, always.

The only turbo-related "Kits" that save you money are 1st aide kits.

For your 1st setup, don't go overboard, but don't go super-cheap. You can get a cast iron or log manifold for a decent price (ebay is okay for the cast mani), and I'm sure you can find a decent price on a Garrett T3/T4, since what most people use on Hondas in the USA. You can make decent power with a smallish turbo and a stock B16. A t3/04e 50trim with .50ar cover & stg3/.63ar turbine is about the biggest you'll want with pump gas.

I'd suggest forged pistons/rods sooner rather than later, but stock sleeves will hold around 500whp w/o issues. One member recently had an issue with b16 sleeves at 360whp, but he thought the pistons were 9:1, not 11:1, and the tuner gave it timing like it was 9:1 (basicly a basemap with AFR's tuned). Bad tuning is about all that will kill stock sleeves below 400whp.

FYI My friend had a turbocharged JDM B16A, stock including the obd0 head/intake/TB. He bought the car with an ebay mani, older T3 60trim, Tial 38mm WG, and 3" dp. It made 250whp with 9psi on Uberdata...until his manifold BROKE. Not just cracked - the WG elbow ripped off, and wedged the Tial between the oil pan and ground. Motor was fine, he just needed a new WG and oil pan. Although I warned him, even *I* didn't expect that.

FYI2 Most Europeans I've encountered always use BHP (off the flywheel), which is about 15% higher than what we use mostly on H-T, which is WHP (wheel HP).
Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
I agree that engine performance can be improved with a turbo, always.

The only turbo-related "Kits" that save you money are 1st aide kits.

For your 1st setup, don't go overboard, but don't go super-cheap. You can get a cast iron or log manifold for a decent price (ebay is okay for the cast mani), and I'm sure you can find a decent price on a Garrett T3/T4, since what most people use on Hondas in the USA. You can make decent power with a smallish turbo and a stock B16. A t3/04e 50trim with .50ar cover & stg3/.63ar turbine is about the biggest you'll want with pump gas.

I'd suggest forged pistons/rods sooner rather than later, but stock sleeves will hold around 500whp w/o issues. One member recently had an issue with b16 sleeves at 360whp, but he thought the pistons were 9:1, not 11:1, and the tuner gave it timing like it was 9:1 (basicly a basemap with AFR's tuned). Bad tuning is about all that will kill stock sleeves below 400whp.

FYI My friend had a turbocharged JDM B16A, stock including the obd0 head/intake/TB. He bought the car with an ebay mani, older T3 60trim, Tial 38mm WG, and 3" dp. It made 250whp with 9psi on Uberdata...until his manifold BROKE. Not just cracked - the WG elbow ripped off, and wedged the Tial between the oil pan and ground. Motor was fine, he just needed a new WG and oil pan. Although I warned him, even *I* didn't expect that.

FYI2 Most Europeans I've encountered always use BHP (off the flywheel), which is about 15% higher than what we use mostly on H-T, which is WHP (wheel HP).
Yea but we use 4th gear and twin roller dynos, some of u use 3rd?. If u guys dyno over here most will make 20% less on our dynos at wheels but corrected flywheel figures come out roughly the same FYI.

Quick Reply: Sick of NA, neeed boost and Help asap.