Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Showing off: eBay turbo kit running a Stock B20 rockin 25 psi. I'm so proud.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/showing-off-ebay-turbo-kit-running-stock-b20-rockin-25-psi-im-so-proud-3331923/)

solomon93 12-26-2018 09:33 PM

Showing off: eBay turbo kit running a Stock B20 rockin 25 psi. I'm so proud..

Hey guys just wanted to chime in and let everyone know my stock junkyard b20z2 is running strong on 25 psi on my t3\t4 ebay 57 trim. Using ebay 340lph fuel pump and FID 1300 injectors. Plugs gapped at .022 and running E85.
no idea on HP as this is street tuned but im guessing its between 350 and 400 whp as my 6 puck clutch is beginning to slip so i assume its at its hp rating limits. Its alllll in the tune. I dont expect this engine to last a year but i dont expect it to blow up any time soon. Have fun with your builds!

Chance EG 12-27-2018 03:18 AM

re: Showing off: eBay turbo kit running a Stock B20 rockin 25 psi. I'm so proud..

ok cool

Txdragon 12-27-2018 04:22 AM

re: Showing off: eBay turbo kit running a Stock B20 rockin 25 psi. I'm so proud..

:popcorn:

Balor_Gr 12-27-2018 05:42 AM

It must be a very good tune. You have a spare block right?

Chance EG 12-27-2018 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51815885)
It must be a very good tune. You have a spare block right?

He said it's just on a street tune, so it can't be that good.

Personally I'd never advise using a street tune long term. Virtual dyno + a few hours spent tuning on the street/road will yield acceptable results in a pinch and for minor changes, but I want a dyno to hold load percentages and actually see a "reliable" graph. It's the only way you can normally be certain the changes you're making are having positive results. Dyno first, then minor adjustments on the street if needed.

Txdragon 12-27-2018 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51815916)
He said it's just on a street tune, so it can't be that good.

I'm in NO WAY defending the OP on what I feel is a troll post, but I can disagree with this statement. You can achieve a more thorough tune on the street than on a dyno. Many more scenarios that hit many more areas on the map. The best aspect of a dyno is you get to see where your limitations are, and what power you're actually making, nothing more.

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51815916)
Personally I'd never advise using a street tune long term. Virtual dyno + a few hours spent tuning on the street/road will yield acceptable results in a pinch and for minor changes, but I want a dyno to hold load percentages and actually see a "reliable" graph. It's the only way you can normally be certain the changes you're making are having positive results. Dyno first, then minor adjustments on the street if needed.

There are many tuners that will debate this as being the exact opposite to recommendation. Good street tune, then seal the deal on the dyno. That's actually what I did. Worked out wonderfully and only needed very minor adjustments on the dyno to get where I wanted (2 pulls). **shrug**

Balor_Gr 12-27-2018 07:10 AM

Yeah i still belive in the street tunning as beeing the 70% of the tune. Both are needed tho.
On the other hand that can be(should) "very low ignition advance / rich afr tune" 25 psi :)

Aradin 12-27-2018 12:34 PM

Uncle Rodney is gonna be paying you a visit real soon OP.

Chance EG 12-27-2018 01:48 PM

Maybe I've just had bad experiences with the "street tuners" in my area, because every tune I've seen or dealt with by people out in the Texas area that swear by "street tune only" has been laughably lean or had completely effed up ignition timing (normally over-advanced) when it came time to dig into the car.

I do completely agree that both street and dyno time are needed for a complete, well rounded tune. I could see arguments being made either way on if dyno or street time should be done first, ultimately probably doesn't matter too much as long as both are observed.

turboLScrx 12-27-2018 03:41 PM

It all depends on who is doing the street tune, 95% of my tune was done on the street and was 95% correct when we got it on the dyno

K7-1Ktrevor 12-27-2018 04:14 PM

I street tune about 90% of the cars I tune, I won't run them on the dyno till I've got them dialed in on the street. Most of the time I can play with ignition timing on the dyno and make next to zero gains, I had one car pick up 30whp (turbo b16) from throwing a few more degrees timing at it but honestly should have left it where it was from the street tune because it popped a few months later after the dyno tune. I prefer street tuning except for cars that get a bit too rowdy to dial in. Not a big fan of having to do 4th gear pulls to tune the cars on the street because they won't hook for shit in 3rd.

As a side note, when I tune a car on the street then throw it on the dyno jet I tune on they are always rich, after dyno tuning I always take them back out on the street and make sure the afrs are correct because the dyno doesn't hold the same load as the car will on the street.

25lbs on a stock b20 could be done but it won't last and its probably much richer and has way less timing then what would make power, which is fine for what it is since it's much safer to make power with the boost then with an aggressive tune.

dilbeckskate 12-27-2018 04:44 PM

OP sounds like some kinda seat sniffer jdm tyte dood..... lol stock b20 rods might last a few pulls at 20lbs much less 25 before the rods pack their bags and go south... how are you getting the 25 psi ? also any pics of this jalopy ?

dilbeckskate 12-27-2018 04:45 PM

also street tune is nowhere near the quality of dyno tune ..... theres SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo many factors and variables on the street that can make your butt dyno far from accurate

K7-1Ktrevor 12-27-2018 05:11 PM

That's why your butt doesn't do the tuning.. wideband and det can work pretty well. Dynos aren't gods gift to tuning like many people think.

dilbeckskate 12-27-2018 05:18 PM

oh I agree tenfold , I think we can all agree a quality wideband makes all the difference , timing corrections etc are easier on a dyno than street IMO , I still call complete horse shit on 25 psi on stock b20 .... and wont hear another word of it until proof or he can literally just shut the hello up... he has not ever even posted a picture on HT in the multiple years of membership all his threads are smoke

Txdragon 12-27-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate (Post 51816570)
also street tune is nowhere near the quality of dyno tune ..... theres SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo many factors and variables on the street that can make your butt dyno far from accurate

See below quote!

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51816591)
That's why your butt doesn't do the tuning.. wideband and det can work pretty well. Dynos aren't gods gift to tuning like many people think.

^^This

Those variables are what make a GREAT A/F tune. Dyno is good for dialing in your ignition advance. Again, a well-rounded tune will include BOTH street and dyno tune.

K7-1Ktrevor 12-27-2018 10:41 PM

I can't even count how many high dollar professional dyno tunes I've seen with absolute bullshit part throttle tuning. I have never understood why someone would pay $500 bucks for a dyno tune to have a car that runs like dog shit everywhere in part throttle. I've seen Fuel collums overlap, same with timing tables, lines look like a bunch of snakes wrestling. I've also seen 22* base ignition timing all the way from idle out to 2200 rpm regardless of load causing a ton of low rpm knock which resulted in some trashed bearings. Dyno tuners sell people on the idea it's the only way to tune cars, but it's not, yes I get the idea that allot of street tuners are just some kid with a laptop who downloaded Crome free and has no idea what the fuck he's doing but I also know plenty of people who have tuned their own shit and had their cars run amazingly well. It's no different then building a motor or putting together a tranny. It takes patience, knowledge and experience to get it to work right. All that being said, I've been tuning cars for a living on taxes since 2010 and get to do this stuff everyday and I really enjoy street tuning cars more, most of the cars I dyno tune is because they want to have some big number to Dick measure with other people on the internet.

I street tuned a 98 civic sedan, 84mm sleeved b16, ram horn, eBay 35r on 24lbs pump gas, full weight that ran 10.9 and trapped 134mph. Car runs hard and gets daily driven to work on nice days.

k20z1ej1 12-28-2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate (Post 51816568)
OP sounds like some kinda seat sniffer jdm tyte dood..... lol stock b20 rods might last a few pulls at 20lbs much less 25 before the rods pack their bags and go south... how are you getting the 25 psi ? also any pics of this jalopy ?

stock ls/b20 rods and rod bolts at 18-19psi and over 280 ft lbs of torque checking in. been driving it since march at least 3-4 days a week and have made 30+ passes on slicks. engine sees 7500+ rpm every time its driven.

Txdragon 12-28-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1 (Post 51817126)
stock ls/b20 rods and rod bolts at 18-19psi and over 280 ft lbs of torque checking in. been driving it since march at least 3-4 days a week and have made 30+ passes on slicks. engine sees 7500+ rpm every time its driven.

Rods, bolts, pistons.. Not the weak link in the B20 though. Those cylinders are ticking time bombs, however.

k20z1ej1 12-28-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51817147)
Rods, bolts, pistons.. Not the weak link in the B20 though. Those cylinders are ticking time bombs, however.

it's a b18b, no worries. I wouldn't do anything but all motor with b20 sleeves, personally. I was just referencing dudes comment about the rods.

Txdragon 12-28-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1 (Post 51817154)
it's a b18b, no worries. I wouldn't do anything but all motor with b20 sleeves, personally. I was just referencing dudes comment about the rods.

I've been avoiding the B bandwagon but, I still kick myself in the ass for passing up a nearly complete B18B1 5-speed swap at the boneyard.. :cry:

k20z1ej1 12-28-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51817162)
I've been avoiding the B bandwagon but, I still kick myself in the ass for passing up a nearly complete B18B1 5-speed swap at the boneyard.. :cry:

power per dollar its tough to beat

dilbeckskate 12-28-2018 10:38 AM

IMO and experience 300whp is like breaking point on stock sleeves/rods

k20z1ej1 12-28-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate (Post 51817185)
IMO and experience 300whp is like breaking point on stock sleeves/rods

ive seen stock b18c's make 370+ on pump gas and over 400 on e85. its all in the tune.

turboLScrx 12-28-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1 (Post 51817188)
ive seen stock b18c's make 370+ on pump gas and over 400 on e85. its all in the tune.

the closer you get to 400hp the less room for errors. The higher the hp the more likelyhood an error might occur. This is the main reason most people stay 300 or under, if anything goes wrong while under full load when tuned damn near to a breaking point ....... it’s going to be ugly ....