Notices

should i use an oil restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i use an oil restrictor?

im going to be running a garrett t3/t04e turbo with -3an lines and im wondering if i need an oil restictor, and if so, what size? i know people on here have that turbo and know what pressure it needs.

Modified by patrick4588 at 4:31 PM 3/18/2007
Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 PM

also, where should i put my oil pressure sender? should i put the sender for the motor or for the turbo? which is more vital to monitor? or should i maybe buy another oil pressure gauge and monitor both?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (patrick4588)

ttt
Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (patrick4588)

Put a restrictor on your turbo, it will thank you. Some people will say -3an is small enough, but I don't believe them. You don't have to monitor its pressure, just engine's oil pressure. THAT is the most important gauge, with a boost gauge being second. You can set up lots of fail-safes for overboost, but nothing if your oil pump shatters.

The pressure sender should monitor what it always has, engine oil pressure.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put a restrictor on your turbo, it will thank you. Some people will say -3an is small enough, but I don't believe them. You don't have to monitor its pressure, just engine's oil pressure. THAT is the most important gauge, with a boost gauge being second. You can set up lots of fail-safes for overboost, but nothing if your oil pump shatters.

The pressure sender should monitor what it always has, engine oil pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think a/f is a little bit more important in my opinion. Oil pressure is important but if your oil pump goes (which I dont ever really see happening) you can always count on your built in light on your cluster. Sure its only dummy light but its better then the stock a/f dummy light that is on your cluster (there isn't one)

Oil restrictors are only for DBB turbochargers and some bb turbochargers. Find out what kind you have and go from there. A -3 line usually does the trick
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The most important things to be monitoring are A/F ratio, Oil pressure, Boost, and some would argue EGT.

In terms of your oil pressure gauge it is better to T off the stock pressure switch or use a filter sandwhich plate. Your oiling system has releif valves to keep oil pressure at a steady spec and and the pressure will remain the same in the whole CLOSED system. The sending unit is better mounted closer to the oil pump to acheive fast and predictable readings.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oil restrictors are only for DBB turbochargers and some bb turbochargers. Find out what kind you have and go from there. A -3 line usually does the trick
</TD></TR></TABLE>

stop talking out of your ***. if your motor is running right you should be around 70-80 psi at WOT. which is too much pressure for any turbo ball bearing or journal bearing turbo. 3 an line is not small enough to restrict the volume of oil that the turbo sees. so a restrictor is very necessary.
I've been through 3 brand new turbos because of too much oil pressure.

so unless you have first hand experience on something please dont give advise. is these mis information that cause people who dont know to waste money.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (rudebwoy)

Generally, the ball-bearing turbo's definitely require a restrictor, somewhere around .035", everything from the 35r and down in my experience.

When it comes to the standard CHRA, I've seen people run restrictors, and seen just a -3 and even some -4 feed lines.

In all honesty, your best bet is to hook up a -3 feed line, and put a oil pressure gauge in line. Rev the car up to where you see peak oil pressure, usually WOT, and see what kind of psi readings your getting. This will give you the effect the -3 line is having on oil pressure going to the turbo. Once you've done that, call up the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend as far as ideal oil pressure to the turbo.

Equally important - make sure your drain is setup with no kinks and a complete downward angle.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (a1320addict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Generally, the ball-bearing turbo's definitely require a restrictor, somewhere around .035", everything from the 35r and down in my experience.

When it comes to the standard CHRA, I've seen people run restrictors, and seen just a -3 and even some -4 feed lines.

In all honesty, your best bet is to hook up a -3 feed line, and put a oil pressure gauge in line. Rev the car up to where you see peak oil pressure, usually WOT, and see what kind of psi readings your getting. This will give you the effect the -3 line is having on oil pressure going to the turbo. Once you've done that, call up the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend as far as ideal oil pressure to the turbo.

Equally important - make sure your drain is setup with no kinks and a complete downward angle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

always know wat pressure your getting at the turbo before you go restricting oil to it. you don't always need an oil restrictor. i email ATP abt it and they told me to figure out my oil pressure at the turbo then if needed get a restrictor.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:27 PM

how would i go about finding the pressure at the turbo? hook the sender up on the turbo somehow?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:31 PM

what about putting a pressure gauge on the turbo and an oil pressure gauge for the motor. i already have a sandwich plate and can hook up the oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge there.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patrick4588)

Use your sandwich plate and hook up a oil pressure gauge, this will give you the oil pressure the motor is building.

T into the feedline, and use an additional oil pressure gauge here, this will give you the oil pressure the cartridge is seeing.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called PTE on this one and asked them about running a restrictor to my SC50. They told me that one wasn't needed.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah just to confirm i would contact the company to have peace in mind.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i use an oil restrictor? (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

stop talking out of your ***. if your motor is running right you should be around 70-80 psi at WOT. which is too much pressure for any turbo ball bearing or journal bearing turbo. 3 an line is not small enough to restrict the volume of oil that the turbo sees. so a restrictor is very necessary.
I've been through 3 brand new turbos because of too much oil pressure.

so unless you have first hand experience on something please dont give advise. is these mis information that cause people who dont know to waste money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your the one talking out of your ***. Your information is misleading.
I do have personal experience on the subject so thats why I chimed in.

I run a Turbonetics bb turbocharger and I've NEVER EVER had problems with it smoking.

My line of business is turbochargers you idiot! We've been manufacturing turbo systems longer then you've been driving and we have never had to restrict the oil to the turbocharger up until our Corvette System (Which is the highest output forced induction system out there for the Corvettes btw, which says alot since we have over 100 kits sold and still being used)

You've used 3 brands? That sucks cause I've sold and repaired probably every brand there is out there.

And for the record look at what I actually said:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I brought this off topic but I just wanted to share that I do know what I'm talking about and I'm not talking out of my ***.

Next time think before you speak!

Nick
Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either way oil restrictors are not only for ball bearing turbos, some turbos are stronger than some, so maybe you got lucky with running yours, but almost everyone I know with boosted hondas, that are running great, require a oil restrictor.

maybe I should have worded my reply differently did not mean to get offensive about it, but there have been a lot of people talking from what they hear other people say on here, instead of using personal experience.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 AM

apparently the turbo im buying needs about 45-50 psi, so i dont think ill need one since im running -3 lines.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patrick4588)

Most of the BB garrett's I've seen have the restrictor built in....

Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">either way oil restrictors are not only for ball bearing turbos, some turbos are stronger than some, so maybe you got lucky with running yours, but almost everyone I know with boosted hondas, that are running great, require a oil restrictor.

maybe I should have worded my reply differently did not mean to get offensive about it, but there have been a lot of people talking from what they hear other people say on here, instead of using personal experience.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I might have gotten lucky, but every ball bearing turbocharger I sell require a -3 line and a 1/2" drain or -10 or -12 drain line.

We've never had problems up until the Corvette kits.. Personally I think the Corvette drivers are just too picky!

Great information though!