Notices

Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does?

Search bla bla.

I have my inline on, but still getting some detonation on only 6psi (also have IC).

I'm thinking the in tank I have is not doing the inline any justic, so I'm thinking I'm going to take it out after work and just make up a line with the intank filter.

Is this what I should do? And, I have my inline mounted up by my fuel rail, will this be ok once I take my intank out?

Answers ASAP as I'm going to do this whenI get home in about 1.5hrs.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:12 AM
DC2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (Hybrid)

You should be running fine with both pumps in there. Perhaps you wired the inline wrong and it's not powered?
Old 08-13-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (DC2)

No the in tank is wired in fine. It primes and so on and so forth. I was running that until I got my inline.

I don't know what else to do really. Maybe recheck my check valve set up, but that all seems to be running fine, the car is smooth and there are no check engine lights.

I have a flow restrictor in place of my thermostat, I don't suppose that would be causing anything? but like I said, other than slight detonation the car runs great. Maybe I'll have to get an MSD BTM. but by the time I add all that up i could have a hondata.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (Hybrid)

Ditch the intank! It restricts flow to the inline. It's easy to do too... pop out the intank and replace with a straight piece of tube (aluminum, brass, whatever) and hose clamp the sock on the end.

Since the inline easily outflows the intank at high operating pressures required by the FMU, the intank causes a pressure drop to the inlet of the inline, causing cavitation.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (mikikanazawa)

Well this is what I'm thinking aswell.

my inline is 125psi and 255lph - Walbro. So my intank would at least have to flow 255 in order to keep up with it.

So thats what I'm going to do is ditch the intank until I get better fuel management (would love to have a hondata 2b for my sohc vtec).

I sprung an oil leak on the way to work this morning so I'll be tending to that first......................damn damn damn!

[Modified by Hybrid, 2:10 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:23 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Couple things. The inTANK is not hindering the inLINE. The intank can flow a hella lot of fuel, but not at high pressures. That's where the inline comes into play. It boost's the pressure up to the rail. If you do ditch the intank, you really should remount the inline (according to where you have it mounted now). Inlines are not good at pulling fuel (this is why the intank is an additional benefit). Ideally, you would want an inline mounted as close to the tank as possible and preferably mounted lower than the tank itself to let gravity help out.

When the previous person said your inline might be wired wrong, he meant backwards (I assume). It will still prim and pump fuel, but nowhere near the volume or pressure that it should be. If that's the case, the inline will be restricting the intank.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (DSF)

Hey DSF thanks for the response.

I'm pretty sure the intank is hooked up properly, I mean its only negative or positive, and each was indicated on the intank when I installed it, so unless I "fell asleep at the wheel" think its connected properly.

If I were to switch back to the stock intank pump would that cause a proplem for my inline pump?

One more, you say the inline should be mounted close to the tank and low, but is this only if there is no intank being used? Cause right now I have the inline by the fuel rail, and of course the intank.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:17 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure the intank is hooked up properly.
No, make sure the inLINE is hooked up correctly.

If I were to switch back to the stock intank pump would that cause a proplem for my inline pump?
Not for only 6psi of boost. But why, more fuel is better (usually).

One more, you say the inline should be mounted close to the tank and low, but is this only if there is no intank being used? Cause right now I have the inline by the fuel rail, and of course the intank.
Yes and your fine the way you are now.

Old 08-14-2002, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (mikikanazawa)

Ditch the intank! It restricts flow to the inline. It's easy to do too... pop out the intank and replace with a straight piece of tube (aluminum, brass, whatever) and hose clamp the sock on the end.

Since the inline easily outflows the intank at high operating pressures required by the FMU, the intank causes a pressure drop to the inlet of the inline, causing cavitation.
it is easier to push then pull. so the intank helps out the inline

[Modified by CovertFI, 1:10 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (CovertFI)

Yes, it is easier to push. But, the intank cannot push as fast as the inline can pull. So the intank is a restriction across the inlet of the inline at higher flow, causing it to pull very hard.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:35 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Not exactly. Think of the inline as mearly a pressure booster. Once the fuel demand exceeds the intank pump's capacity (something in excess of 2000cc/min for a GS-R pump) then it will hinder the flow of the inline. So, yes, at higher flows you are correct, but at "lower" flows, the intank will actually help.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Should I take out my intake so my inline can do what it does? (DSF)

Not exactly. Think of the inline as mearly a pressure booster. Once the fuel demand exceeds the intank pump's capacity (something in excess of 2000cc/min for a GS-R pump) then it will hinder the flow of the inline. So, yes, at higher flows you are correct, but at "lower" flows, the intank will actually help.
that is what i was thinking. if you are moving enough fuel to max out the flow of your stock pump, i am sure you have to you will have to upgrade your lines anyway.