Notices

Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it?

Hello.

I own a 95 ex coupe and I had been done lots of research on putting together an SOHC turbo kit. My goals were originally 200whp, but then the reality set in that my engine has 160k miles and since this is my daily driver I couldn't really afford to risk reliability like that.

So the obvious next step would be to swap a new motor into my car. Through my mech I can get a complete JDM b16a2 swap done for about 3200. I don't know if this is too much but I'm under the impression that it's a decent enough price. I know the swap itself is 1500, the installation is 700, and everything else in between I guess.

Now the next obvious solution is TURBO! Ever since I learned how to drive a car in my friend's GST I've been a boost addict. I plan on running a stock b16 (maybe with LSD I dunno) but I don't know if using a jdm b16a2 would be such a good platform? Don't they have a slightly higher compression or something?

Any B-series gurus that can shed a little light on the situation? How do the pistons/rods hold out stock? I had been hoping to try to reach about 240-250 to the wheels. I already have the hondata with the injectors so my fuel manegement is taken care of. A/C is also a must so I'm sure that will limit my capabilities. I'm hoping it will be easy enough to find an A/C mani.

I was also wondering if I could set up hondata to use 2 different tunes. One for my max psi/racing setting where I would want the said 240-250, and another for daily driving at say 5-6 psi. It would be awesome if I could set these on and off with a boost controller of osme sort.

Any help would be appreciated. I know SOHC turbo pretty well, but B-series is a whole nother game for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it? (chezicrator)

The stock B16 can handle 250 whp with proper management and be reliable. It can go up to 300whp but then your pushing your luck. The B16 swap you want though is the 2nd gen hydro swap which run close to $2300. Don't try to use the cable version if at all possible since it's not a bolt in swap and many parts have to be added to make it work correctly. The DRAG kit will let you retain a/c and will make more than enough power for you to meet your goals and also is what I use The Greddy kit and Revhard kit will also work and let you keep your a/c.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it? (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The stock B16 can handle 250 whp with proper management and be reliable. It can go up to 300whp but then your pushing your luck. The B16 swap you want though is the 2nd gen hydro swap which run close to $2300. Don't try to use the cable version if at all possible since it's not a bolt in swap and many parts have to be added to make it work correctly. The DRAG kit will let you retain a/c and will make more than enough power for you to meet your goals and also is what I use The Greddy kit and Revhard kit will also work and let you keep your a/c.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Took the words out of my mouth.
both of our b16s are stock.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:09 PM

Ok so I guess holding 250 wouldn't really be much of a problem with hondata and proper tuning. Just for reference I have the s200b unit.

So there's a big difference in between the hydro and cable versions? I'll call and see which one I'm getting with my swap. the a2 is the one with the hydro right? That's the one I want eh. Another question.. is the factory LSD worth the 300 bux?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:19 PM

$3200 just for the swap? Seems like a lot to me and you still have to buy a turbo kit. I would just build up your d16z6 and turbo that. $3200 would be enough money for rods/pistons and a turbo kit.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it? (beerbongskickass)

I was really considering that but when you add in rebuilding the tranny, getting a new clutch, replacing the axles, and all that then it would still be too much.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going to need a different clutch for the B16 too
Old 07-31-2004, 03:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$3200 just for the swap? Seems like a lot to me and you still have to buy a turbo kit. I would just build up your d16z6 and turbo that. $3200 would be enough money for rods/pistons and a turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just what I was thinking.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$3200 just for the swap? Seems like a lot to me and you still have to buy a turbo kit. I would just build up your d16z6 and turbo that. $3200 would be enough money for rods/pistons and a turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats actually not to bad considering that includes installation, all the minor parts that you always end up needing that didn't come with the swap.
Being that he's paying a shop to do the work it's going to cost a lot more then $3,200 for rods/pistons installed and tubo kit. If he did the work himself I can see getting all that for $3,200 but not when he's paying for the labor.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Should I swap a JDM b16 and boost it? (b16ahybrid)

So lets say I decide to rebuild...

I should probably buy an extra block and have that put together while I run daily on my 150k sucker, right? I would probably need to buy another head, right? New clutch and flywheel. New axles. At 140 I had water pump, timing belt etc.. purchased so those should be ok to swap over. I would need new alternator, distributor, starter.. battery I just bought too. Should probably replace the intake mani while I'm at it? Nothing bling, but just something that hasn't been as worn down.

Building the block.. I guess I should do a little more searching on that since the only ones I find are super 400whp sleeved blocks from hell. What I think I need done (it doesn't matter what I think cause I don't really know much at all about rebuilds) is: bore and hone, pistons and rods, arp studs, maybe a better headgasket? Anything other than that? I could be way off...

Anyhow any information would be appreciated, maybe if you could point me in the direction. I know mad people have to have done this.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chezicrator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So lets say I decide to rebuild...

I should probably buy an extra block and have that put together while I run daily on my 150k sucker, right? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yep, buy another block, build it up then swap it over once it's complete.
You'll want to get a new timing belt and do any other general mantenance while the work is being done. You can use all of your old parts. Get a better clutch while your at it. everything else will be fine, there is no wear on an intake manifold, etc......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chezicrator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Building the block.. I guess I should do a little more searching on that since the only ones I find are super 400whp sleeved blocks from hell. What I think I need done (it doesn't matter what I think cause I don't really know much at all about rebuilds) is: bore and hone, pistons and rods, arp studs, maybe a better headgasket? Anything other than that? I could be way off...

Anyhow any information would be appreciated, maybe if you could point me in the direction. I know mad people have to have done this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use stock sleeves and just get new rods and pistons, or you can go all out and sleeve the block. Do some research and you learn more about that stuff and how much power each set-up can handle.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:28 AM

Yah I know more or less about sleeving. I only want to have about 250.. more would always be appreciated but I need to use a lot of my money to pay for labor . Anybody know anyone in south florida that could put something together? Do I have to get a new crank or anything like that?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chezicrator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah I know more or less about sleeving. I only want to have about 250.. more would always be appreciated but I need to use a lot of my money to pay for labor . Anybody know anyone in south florida that could put something together? Do I have to get a new crank or anything like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock crank will be just fine.
I'd say get some rod's and pistons, bore the block over a little so you have a nice round cylinder and go from there.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:07 AM

hmm with 160k miles are you sure all the other crap will still be fine?

I was thinking about getting a head cheap off ebay or something.. maybe look around shops that have swapped out d16's and see if I could pick something up for cheap.

Right now my tranny doesn't grind at all so I'm hoping that will be ok for the time being. I know I need to replace the clutch though.

If I really do plan on doing the rebuild I was thinking about boosting this engine and see if anything goes wrong or what I need to work on or whatever before I drop in the built one. I would of course run it bare to break it in and then drop the kit in again. Should I avoid getting too anxious and just wait till it's all done right to avoid damaging anything other than the block? Probably right? Anyhow thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:10 PM

I would recommend a good fuel management with a good tune. My 1.5L is 10psi daily driven.