Notices

should i put on the mbc or no b4 i go tune...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i put on the mbc or no b4 i go tune...

alrite my setup rite now is basically stock gsr block with a kit i pieced together myself...the turbo i am using is a turbonetics t3/t04 54 trim...i bought the tial 38mm with the 7.25lb spring....but i have a turboXS mbc that was given to me...should i put it on and turn up the boost since imma go tune?....this is my daily driver so i need to to be really reliable...im just hoping to get like 250whp or a lil more....im also running 3in dp to 3in exhaust no cat...hopefully it will help...how high should i turn it up 9 or 10 lbs...does it make a big difference power wise and reliability wise?...yea i read all the stuff about it depends on the tune and stuff but im just kinda worried...this is my first time going to be boosted so help me out guys...i dont want to dissapoint myself not making power like these other guys on here but at the same time dont want it to go boom...my first plan was just to take it in and tune it with the stock tial spring, but now that im thinking about it since im going in for a tune, mightest well turn up the boost so i wont have to turn it up afterwards and tune twice...give me your opinions please..yea i searched and read...just want some feedback...i think the boost addiction is already hitting me and im not even boosted yet ...going in this weekend or next weekend
Old 06-29-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: should i put on the mbc or no b4 i go tune... (cmGSR916)

Just take the MBC and some extra vaccuum line with you to the dyno. If it doesn't make the HP you want, just throw the MBC in and turn the boost up. It shouldn't take more than 2-5 minutes to install either. Good luck getting tuned.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i put on the mbc or no b4 i go tune... (RacerXI)

good idea...but i heard shops dont like you or them to change things in/out at the dyno or whatever...i though u suppose to be mechanically ready to be tuned?...plus i have never even messed with the mbc, i know how it works, but i prob take some time to adjust and stuff, unless the tuner just does it everything...anymore info?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:06 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is nice when you are mechanically ready to tune...but that is meant toward major things. Such as your manifold isn't falling off/oil pump is working/blah blah blah.

If a shop doesn't want to put on a MBC while on the dyno, then that's just stupid. They take no time at all to put on

I would let the tuner mess around with it, unless you are comfortable doing it. Sure it takes some fiddling around with to get it set just right, but that's no big deal.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 AM

go ahead and install the MBC but do not turn the boost up until it is being tuned. That way it will already be on there and you wont waste any time at the dyno.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install it
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go ahead and install the MBC but do not turn the boost up until it is being tuned. That way it will already be on there and you wont waste any time at the dyno.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^agreed with this quote. "Time is money"
Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

alrite...maybe i should do that...anyone else with opinions?...u guys think i will be happy with 7lbs or no?...remember its my first time...so share your first times with me...ive never really been in car with around the same setup that i have so hopefully it pulls...ive been in stock sochs boosted and they are alrite...ive been in my cousins gsr pushing 16lbs and that thing is scary on the street...let me know
Old 06-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cmGSR916)

7lbs will make you happy for now but you'll come to a point where your like, "I want more" and then you'll want to turn up the boost.

Put the MBC on and just leave it, let the tuner play with it, that is part of the tuning process. Tune to 10lbs and turn the MBC back down to 7 lbs.

This way, you'll be happy for a while with 7lbs, then when your ready to turn it up, you can and don't have to back for a re-tune.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (mike1114)

They don't mind the down time it takes to install the boost controller. It's just time where they don't have to do anything while you wrench on the car.

I'd start with the MBC valve wide open, baseline it after installing the MBC, and then make small adjustments until you get a feel for how it'll react to changes. The boost controller might be really sensitive to even a small turn of the dial. Don't rush yourself into making a large change without knowing about where it'll land you otherwise you can easily go too far and boost spike.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

thanks for the feedback...yea i have never messed with a mbc so i dont know about the psi/turn ratio or whatever...hopefully i will be happy with 7 lbs
Old 06-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cmGSR916)

There are a lot of times you have to let the car cool down on the dyno anyway, one of these times would be fine to install it. (10-15 minute periods sometimes.)

Most MBC don't have any indicators for how much boost your turning it up to so you just turn it a little, like 1/4 turn at a time, watching the boost gauge (or laptop) each dyno run to see what its hitting
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

okay another question...if im just running the tial spring @7.25lbs, im not actually getting exactly that much boost due to pressure drop etc correct?...around how much boost will i be at?... its a t3/t04 turbo, jrc 6in intercooler, and spoolinperformance 2.5in charge pipes...maybe installation of the mbc is a must for me