Notices

Should I install DRAG or take it to shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I install DRAG or take it to shop?

How easy is the DRAG kit to install? Should I pay my friend a little money to help. or take it to a professional shop? I trust the shop more, but if I have my friend do it, I can watch and see how it is done.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (b_edson)

Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (integracon)

Do it yourself, thats why honda-tech is here to help you out.

art
Old 02-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (Arturbo)

DEF do it yourself, i can tell you one thing........you'll lose lots of respect around here if ya dont hehee
Old 02-27-2002, 07:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (NYb16)

doin it yourself can be fun and educational... but can you trust yourself with the install? i took it to the shop. they didnt do too good of a job, so i pretty much had to do things over again. but at least it was there for me to learn from. if your friend knows what he is doing, then have him show you wsup. taking to the shop gives you insurance though... cuz if something goes wrong, the shop is at fault. but it really aint too hard to do... it looks simple. just fitting the turbo and making sure u grind **** here and there is the only bitch.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (b_edson)

no offence but with all this support of words to do it yourselves, what if this poor guy strip a bolt, cross a thread, leak oil, incorrectly connect the fuel system supplied ( don't mention wiring electronics), didn't do a right prestart setup( make sure oil come out of the feed first before start), ect ect, who should he blame? The guys that say do it yourselves? or himselves?
I totally would do it myself since I do this every single day. But I do remember when I first time work on car long time ago was also a newbie, scare as shitless to do something wrong. Then money blew here and there to get it fixed when it did go wrong and learned. I think this guy should at least have a mentor to stand by him and point out tips, by the time he reach this board for answer it's either too late or too confusing because everyone has something different to say, everyone think they are pro LOL.
Think for our members before encouraging him, ask him " Do you have previous experience?"

[Modified by [Evo]Hybrid, 5:39 AM 2/28/2002]

[Modified by [Evo]Hybrid, 5:41 AM 2/28/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 08:59 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? ([Evo]Hybrid)

Hey guess what if you can't install a drag kit (everything but the welding) on your own with jackstands and hand tools then you really should just sell the thing on ebay and save yourself a buttload of misery. Sooner or later every part that was touched, moved, cut, relocated, added, or otherwise breathed on during the install is HIGHLY likely to break. If you didnt do the install you will have a real tough time diagnosing and making the repair. If you are really lousy you will have to take it back to the 'speed' shop and have them fix things like loose vac lines, fuel leaks, boost leaks, check valves, etc. The kit is not easy to install there is gonna be alot of trial and error and alot of banged up knuckles but you will learn so much about your car by the time you are done and guess what it feels pretty good to tell people you did it all yourself. Anyway man good luck let us know what you decide
Old 02-27-2002, 09:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (EF-Hatch)

I highly doubt it he will sell his kit just because he can't do it. Most people want speed so bad they'll do what ever they can to get it on, send it to shop or do it yourselves. Just make sure what you doing, if it's your first time, back off and rethink what is going on when something don't look right or a gut feeling something is going to break. Breath is my suggestion.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? ([Evo]Hybrid)

i agree with [evo]hybrid on this one. it really depends on your current level of experience/availabilty of tools, etc. i know that for myself, i had a lot my work done because i knew nothing and was not brave/foolish enough to go experimenting on my then-new gsr. but i watched and learned a lot during that process, and now there are many things that i can and do myself. and, truth be told, whether its swapping out a fuel pump or just changing the oil, doing it myself and having it go well just makes me giddy and tickles me with joy.

so be brave, be willing to learn, but don't be foolish. if you know your limits you'll make the right decision.

good luck.

downpipe
Old 02-28-2002, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Should I install DRAG or take it to shop? (downpipe)

Do the install yourself. You will be glad you did, you get a cahnce to learn how everything works. Also, if something happens you know what was messed with and you know what top go back and double check. This way also allows you to do the little things that make the kit better. Take it to a shop and they will do it the way drag designed it to go on.