Notices

Should I install an aftermarket camshaft on a B18A/B using a T3 sized turbo?

Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I install an aftermarket camshaft on a B18A/B using a T3 sized turbo?

Looking to get a set of cams in my b18b1 swapped civic. Got a stock bottom end and running a Garrett T3 turbo on 7psi (want more once boost controller is installed). Anyone know which ones to go with? Never put them in before but is it mainly just drop them in and make sure timing is all right? Anything that needs to be adjusted or is that all done when it gets retuned? Newbie questions but any help is appreciated!!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Should I install an aftermarket camshaft on a B18A/B using a T3 sized turbo?

From what you're describing of the turbocharger you have and the amount of boost pressure you're using, without further information as to specifically which "T3 turbo" you're using, at first flush the answer is a resounding NO. You can use the money you plan to invest on making the rest of the system of better design and turn up the boost pressure before any camshaft is worth installing. The OEM camshaft for the LS B18A/B is very robust for the stock head. Only when you start working on the cylinder head itself (improved portwork, upgraded valvetrain including valves, etc) in conjunction with new camshafts will you see any noticeable results.

Get the boost controller, and retune for the higher boost pressure. Then see if it's necessary based upon the rest of the build if camshafts need to be an option.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Should I install an aftermarket camshaft on a B18A/B using a T3 sized turbo?

TheShodan is right - there are many other areas to focus on first. Also, when it does come time to upgrade the head/ cams, you're probably better off finding a VTEC head and doing an LS/V conversion for the money.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Should I install an aftermarket camshaft on a B18A/B using a T3 sized turbo?

^^

I was just going to add: The limit of the B18/B20 valvetrain are the rockers. You cannot rev it like the Vtec. Keep it limited to 7k and your fine.

If your wanting to make a difference, swapping to a vtec head with your boost will kill any non vtec boost variant.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan4
Looking to get a set of cams in my b18b1 swapped civic. Got a stock bottom end and running a Garrett T3 turbo on 7psi (want more once boost controller is installed). Anyone know which ones to go with? Never put them in before but is it mainly just drop them in and make sure timing is all right? Anything that needs to be adjusted or is that all done when it gets retuned? Newbie questions but any help is appreciated!!

No point.Cams wont do you much in an otherwise stock block. The stock cams will make as much power as it can handle. I would make sure the tune is the number one priority and you'll have a solid car without needing to spend any other money (assuming its healthy).
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet thanks a lot guys! Pretty new to it all internal stuff. Gunna go with the boost controller and then a new tune. What would you say would be a good safe max boost?(I know can adjust with controller whenever wanted) My daily driver, but few pulls on a track here and there. My set up: Stock block/heads, Percision 440cc injectors, Apexi World Sport 2 Exhaust, Gerrott t3 turbo, Tial Wastegate 38mm, HKS Bov, other things fuel pump, regualtor etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Wanting to make around 250-300whp. Pushing 201whp right now
Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Update: Wanting to make around 250-300whp. Pushing 201whp right now
Doesn't change the feedback or decision. STAY STOCK.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet thanks a lot guys! Pretty new to it all internal stuff. Gunna go with the boost controller and then a new tune. What would you say would be a good safe max boost?(I know can adjust with controller whenever wanted) My daily driver, but few pulls on a track here and there. My set up: Stock block/heads, Percision 440cc injectors, Apexi World Sport 2 Exhaust, Gerrott t3 turbo, Tial Wastegate 38mm, HKS Bov, other things fuel pump, regualtor etc.
Your injectors are going to limit you to around 300whp, so whatever boost pressure it takes to make around 300whp is your safe "max boost" anyways. No point in upgrading cams with a stock block imo as the stock cams will make more power then the stock block can handle. 300whp is a lot of fun in a light little car, just make sure you get a solid safe tune and enjoy the car. Good luck man.