Notices

Should I go Super Charger???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go Super Charger???

How much HP would a VORTEC or J.R. super charger add to my B16a in my civic?
Would this be a good investment for my car? ?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (MUGEN_B16CIVIC)

<<< look at my avatar for instructions.....wheres my hammer icon at.....
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheres my hammer icon at.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got your back.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MUGEN_B16CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much HP would a VORTEC or J.R. super charger add to my B16a in my civic?
Would this be a good investment for my car? ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never really been a fan of superchargers. I was looking at a magazine and it had an ad for a JRSC. Said it usually gained 40% hp and 30% tq over stock. Not bad but for the money spent on that thing...you could have a full kit or a DIY with some upgraded internals and get more power than you coul with the supercharger. I have read that SC's are easier on your engine but I cant comment on that. Also you get "instant boost" as opposed to turbo lag. To me turbocharger is the way to go
Old 01-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (specv5150)

Ive installed both turbos and supercharger setups and i def say that a turbo kit is much easier to install. Something to also consider.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (Muckman)

I would say turbo all the way but hey check out this thread right above yours. I really do suggest readin this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=737959
Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (TerribleOne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TerribleOne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say turbo all the way but hey check out this thread right above yours. I really do suggest readin this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=737959</TD></TR></TABLE>

Woo woo.

Look at that thread. Someone lock this one.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (kpt4321)

does anyone know why there is even a search button on this damn web site??
Old 01-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (jinxproof99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jinxproof99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know why there is even a search button on this damn web site??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because all the other websites out there have one.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because all the other websites out there have one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

BUT NO ONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO USE IT!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (jinxproof99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jinxproof99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BUT NO ONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO USE IT!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think they should make the goddamn thing font size 144

mike
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
space cadet

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (MikeMAN)

superchargers generally have a much hotter intake air which is something to consider.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (shakes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shakes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">superchargers generally have a much hotter intake air which is something to consider. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true.

Roots type superchargers, this is true for. They are very inefficient, so the charge temps are hot.

For centrifugal superchargers, they usually have a much bigger and more efficient wheel than a turbo does, and therefore gives off coller charge temps.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not true.

Roots type superchargers, this is true for. They are very inefficient, so the charge temps are hot.

For centrifugal superchargers, they usually have a much bigger and more efficient wheel than a turbo does, and therefore gives off coller charge temps.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

and take a turbo as big as the centrifugal supercharger (which you should OBVIOUSLY run an intercooler on), the intake temps will be MUCH cooler..

mike
Old 01-28-2004, 07:41 PM

If you are to supercharge, the Vortech would make more power with less headaches (IE: tip in detonation, etc) and counting the number of people i know who are happy with their Vortech B16's making plenty of power in "stock" form, i'd say it is a decent pick.

People who say "go turbo" are the same people who have 10k invested in a built motor and a custom hand built turbo kit that is tuned to perfection. A typical bolt-on turbo kit isnt going to give the same results by any means. Not even close even... But do what you want, it is your car afterall. I'm quite happy with my 350whp supercharged car.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (ClubSiRacer)

if you can't decide.. then you don't need either
Old 01-28-2004, 07:47 PM

If you want a reliable streetable non headache car then S/C is good. JRSC is what I have. Turbo cars are reliable to but of course with more power comes more problems. Power is also linear on a roots type blower which is better on the internals compared to a turbo where a big jolt of power USUALLY occurs unless you get a small turbo and tune it out smoothly. Roots has high intake temps and parastic drag. Who gives a **** its a fun car to drive for an everyday car. Turbos themselves are a flow restrictor, the bigger the turbo the less restrictive. Its nothing to worry about. Since your asking if you should go with supercharger then my answer is.... if you want a car thats streetable and just an everyday fun car get the JRSC. Turbos are more for drag racing and long tracks.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and take a turbo as big as the centrifugal supercharger (which you should OBVIOUSLY run an intercooler on), the intake temps will be MUCH cooler..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing is, it's not possible to run a turbo that big, it would never spool. Superchargers can only get away with it because they can yank as much power off the crank as they want.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (ClubSiRacer)

ClubSiRacer, you make me want to break things. While you're more than welcome to have your own opinion, you are NOT welcome to spread all of this misinformation. Try to focus on the facts, will you?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are to supercharge, the Vortech would make more power with less headaches (IE: tip in detonation, etc) and counting the number of people i know who are happy with their Vortech B16's making plenty of power in "stock" form, i'd say it is a decent pick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, a Vortech supercharger will have easier tip-in tuning, because you won't pull into boost like you would on a turbo. It will get some, and then you'll get more and more as engine speed rises.

If you're not a moron, or you take your car somewhere that isn't run by morons, they will tune it just fine. A well tuned turbo car won't have any of the problems you're talking about, so it's irrelevant.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People who say "go turbo" are the same people who have 10k invested in a built motor and a custom hand built turbo kit that is tuned to perfection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that so? My turbo vehicles of choice:

1. 93 AWD DSM - Stock motor, stock turbo, 163k miles
2. 92 Integra RS - Stock motor, 14b, tuned well, 100+ mph traps at 8 psi on the 14b.
3. 92 Hatch w/ B18C - Stock motor

I don't know what you're talking about with this "10k in the motor" ****. If you want to make 350 whp, you need to build the motor the same, no matter if you're doing it with turbo, SC, or N2O. XXX power level will load every motor the same.

If you want to build a 500 whp car, you'll have to put the same amount of money in the motor, regardless of whether it is supercharged or turbocharged. I hope everyone here knows that, and doesn't believe this guy's bullshit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A typical bolt-on turbo kit isnt going to give the same results by any means. Not even close even... But do what you want, it is your car afterall. I'm quite happy with my 350whp supercharged car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is a bolt-on turbo kit different from a bolt-on supercharger kit? There are plenty of people making 3XX whp with bolt on turbo kits, I don't even know what you're trying to say.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
On Fire!

Should i get subway or quiznos for lunch..
Old 01-29-2004, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (newgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should i get subway or quiznos for lunch..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Subway is bland and boring and quiznos is just plain gross! Togo's all the way!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (MiraiZ)

I'm more of a TACO BELL man myself!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (InfamousGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want a reliable streetable non headache car then S/C is good. JRSC is what I have. Turbo cars are reliable to but of course with more power comes more problems. Power is also linear on a roots type blower which is better on the internals compared to a turbo where a big jolt of power USUALLY occurs unless you get a small turbo and tune it out smoothly. Roots has high intake temps and parastic drag. Who gives a **** its a fun car to drive for an everyday car. Turbos themselves are a flow restrictor, the bigger the turbo the less restrictive. Its nothing to worry about. Since your asking if you should go with supercharger then my answer is.... if you want a car thats streetable and just an everyday fun car get the JRSC. Turbos are more for drag racing and long tracks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, Yeah... You're confused... So am I now.

TURBO
Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (nd_styles)

Go with what you can afford and what suits your needs. Half of the people here who are screaming " Turbo all the way" are not turbo'd themselves...just a bunch of internet "racers"....

I personally would recommend a JRSC because of my experience with it and the reliability I have seen (and I am biased). As for turbos, they can also be just as reliable as a S/C as long as it is tuned right and maintained.

Basically it all comes down to you, these people will not be driving your car everyday, you will. So be an adult and make a choice.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I go Super Charger??? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go with what you can afford and what suits your needs. Half of the people here who are screaming " Turbo all the way" are not turbo'd themselves...just a bunch of internet "racers"....</TD></TR></TABLE>

long live the internet racers.
My favorite quote was this one.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was looking at a magazine and it had an ad for a JRSC. Said it usually gained 40% hp and 30% tq over stock. Not bad but for the money spent on that thing...you could have a full kit or a DIY with some upgraded internals and get more power than you coul with the supercharger. I have read that SC's are easier on your engine but I cant comment on that. Also you get "instant boost" as opposed to turbo lag. To me turbocharger is the way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dumbassed newbie idiots.

Quick Reply: Should I go Super Charger???