Notices

should I buy a gsr or ls/gs/rs for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I buy a gsr or ls/gs/rs for turbo?

Hi i want to sell my 01 accord for an integra. I love the vtec on the gsr but have heard many good things about the turbols set up, due to the low compression. I am selling the accord probly in about a month and was trying to figure out which set up would be more fun/reliable. Also the integra will be my daily driver and my first 5spd but my fourth honda. I have searched and have heard good things about both but i wanted to make a thread that will compare and comtrast the two set-ups, to help me decide which one would be the best choice for a fast street car on a limited budget. THANKS!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: should I buy a gsr or ls/gs/rs for turbo? (yaegerc)

If you want torque, LS.

Personally like having my TQ up there with my HP.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: should I buy a gsr or ls/gs/rs for turbo? (19sec beast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 19sec beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want torque, LS.

Personally like having my TQ up there with my HP. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true

What I will also add to this is that there is a ton of factors that play into which motor you should buy for turboing. Each one has slight differences that will make a difference down the road. What are your goals i.e. power, revving, etc. How much $$ do you have to work with?

EDIT: I see you said limited budget. I would say GSR then since it will offer more a few more "goodies" over the ls. You're sacrifice a bit of torque, but thats just too bad if you are on a budget.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the gsr turbo idea
Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

ls is good but if you can find a gsr jump on it
Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr turbo for stock internals, but no use in spending $3000 for a motor if your gonna build it up with internals.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: (kasso)

Wow, similar thread have been repeated many times over and over about which setup to boost with...if you didn't already searched, but whatever.

First, You can't go wrong with any setup. Each engine has its advantages and disadvantages, so one can't say which setup is 'better', it's based on your opinion, your goals for your car, and what your idea of fun is.

GSR is always good, but seeing as how you're on a budget, an LS wouldn't be a bad idea either. Since your car is your daily driver, I assume you're gonna rather have more low end torque/power output and a somewhat small so that your turbo can spool up quickly and you'd have a lot more fun staying around the 3k-6k region. But then again, I don't know your power goals...if you plan on boosting a lot more later, building up your bottom block and stuff, I would go with a GSR because the VTEC head flows so much better than the LS head.

But honestly, I don't think VTEC matters much when you're boosting though (go ahead, flame me ) For me, stock block vs stock block... I would go with an LS, but of course (like many of you out there), if I had cash, I would definitely go with a GSR. I mean, why not?

I do think that a GSR tranny is better than an LS because of the shorter gear ratios.

Hope this helps.

Note: Low compression DOESN'T make you faster. Higher compression is actually better because of better throttle response, etc...however it depends on the tuner. You can have more room for error when you tune with a lower compression. Higher compression is more difficult to tune with...which is why people go with with low compression when they boost, but it's really up to you. Low compression is also more pump-gas-friendly than high compression.