Notices

The shop said I need new muffler bearings....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The shop said I need new muffler bearings....

No, they didnt really say that.. they said that my blinker fluid was low.. they re-filled it for only $200!!!
I am a noob to Forced Induction. I dont want to ask a bunch of stupid questions like those. So my real question is:
What, if any, is the best book to read to self educate oneself in all the aspects of Forcied Induction? Or great reference web sites that are known to support proper information. If there are no concise all in one references, what would be a series/staged approach to the learning process?
I have read several books so far, and they all gloss over what I would consider to be important aspects. How to calculate fuel supply for expected HP to displacement and PSI. What sort of injectors are best to deliver this supply. What is the difference between the housing types. What makes a t3/t04e such a creature. etc... obviously noob questions.
So, I dont want to annoy the intelligent folks here with bogus questions, poorly understood concepts, and common mis-conceptions.
I have been using the search feature quite a bit recently, but have found myself in points that I do not understand how to properly phrase the question. Injector duty cycle, what is it, and why is it bad to exceed x%. If you dont understand duty cycle is, how do you ask this question?
Thanks for your help!

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (B94Cast)

Damn it, I knew I shouldnt have clicked on the link I want my 5 seconds back

Since i'm already posting, try "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, lots of info, but its pretty biased in some areas.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:24 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (UberTeg)

Thanks UberTeg.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

corky bell
Old 02-25-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (flexmyREX)

I have added that book to my cart. In finding this book, I was lead to another book, "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes. Has anyone read this? Would this be a good follow on book to the Corky book?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 PM

try howstuffworks.com it doesn't go in depth. But it will help you learn basics also with a couple of helpfully links. Did you find out why the blinker fluid goes bad?

[Modified by Ltech, 7:47 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (Ltech)

try howstuffworks.com it doesn't go in depth. But it will help you learn basics also with a couple of helpfully links. Did you find out why the blinker fluid goes bab?
Apparently my left turn signal fluid had a leak.. who knew? They replaced the line with a high pressure narfblat line, and filled up the reservoir with dot3 blinker fluid...
They said that the reason that I cannot buy it at the autoparts store is that the FCC controls the sales to qualified zontar certified personnel only, like freon.

I understand the concepts of how turbos work, what they do, and why. What I dont understand is the more in-depth information of turbos.

Old 02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

books are good, theres enough information on internet and this board you don't really need them if all you want is to get a turbo kit.

how i started? compression maps - you can calculate the optimal compressor size for your car. another of first steps is to decide on how much hp you to make. - that will determine how easy it will be to piece together your setup - where you could eliminate more choices. and of course read this board and search - injectors/hondata/standalone/fuel/compressor/maps - just use the right keywords and you'll find the answers.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to replace my blinker fluid twice as well..don;t worry that's how hondas are...

stan
Old 02-25-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (Flamenco-T)

I had to replace my blinker fluid twice as well..don;t worry that's how hondas are...

stan
I guess i'm not alone here. I thought that i was the only one that has this as a repetual problem.I was about to switch to those apc euro clear lenses so i could see when the blinker fluid was getting low, that way i won't go blinkerless.

those are both good books to read....there was another on in summit racing (cant think of the name off hand) but it touched on turbo/super charging and lot's on tuning.
btw just want to add, this is a good way to post questions, looks as though you've done your research and have legitimate questions that you have already searched for the answer for ........If you don't find it in a search and the books don't clear it up don't be affraid to ask here, thats what we all come here for.....just don't post stuipid questions like "how much hp will i gain with my turbo" or how much power will my new cams give me (and then expect an acurate answer).....
Old 02-25-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (Flamenco-T)

doh, i dont have any thats why my nissan's slow!

[Modified by javierb14, 10:10 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:27 PM

Default Re: The shop said I need new muffler bearings.... (javierb14)

hey B94cast,i was in the same boat as u about 6 months ago. My motor blew in my hatch and i decided to rebuild it and boost the **** out of it. I knew as much or maybe less than u did when i started. I'm gonna tell ya what H-T has been my best information source. If i didn't know something or needed it explained i posted it. And i've always received great answers and advice from these guys. Perfect example: i posted a few months ago on what bar was equivalent to psi. Not one person posted callin me an idiot for askin such a easy question, even though i felt like an *** posting it. other than that i've just searched and read articles on the net. I never opened a book on the subject, there is enough info right in front of ya. Know i'm tryin to get the hang of tuning, fuel maps , all that crap. But if i have a question, i'll post it. I love H-T