Notices

searched:Lets start a Forced Induction Road Race/Time attack thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default searched:Lets start a Forced Induction Road Race/Time attack thread.

As the title states.

I have been debating what to build for a COM "Street Prepared" car. All motor B, H, turbo, etc.

I have decided to do a low power but ultra reliable turbo build. I will be using a SOHC Vtec platform. (I can hear the haters coming!) The SOHC is going to provide me with the reliability, low cost of replacement parts, and availability of parts, that I need. For a 280-300 whp turbo build, its going to be perfect.

So I was thinking what steps I would have to take in building a road race turbo honda in terms of reliability.

Obviously heat is a major concern. So I was thinking that a full size Integra radiator (alluminium), an oil cooler, strategic venting, is going to be the trick.

The idea behind this thread is to have a database with pictures, past experiences, and hard lessons learned, in one easy place.

Anyone care to start? Include things like, chassis, engine, engine build, management, cooling, turbo, tranny, driving tactics, etc. Anything to help put the power down through those front wheels!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: searched:Lets start a Forced Induction Road Race/Time attack thread.

There's one here on the technical list. did you miss it?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: searched:Lets start a Forced Induction Road Race/Time attack thread.

Nope. All I found was a about 8 links to individual turbo road race cars. Nothing like what I am proposing. If others that have turbo road race/time attack honda's want to share, they are more than welcome to in this thread.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's not and say we did.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2old4this
Nope. All I found was a about 8 links to individual turbo road race cars. Nothing like what I am proposing. If others that have turbo road race/time attack honda's want to share, they are more than welcome to in this thread.
As one that has an individual turbo road race cars, I agree with grumblemarc. Not too much to share, other than that these setups have small variances, that are trying to do the same job. If its HPDE, sure. If its competitive Lap Attack or time Attack, don't expect anyone to share.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea the teams that compete in Global Time Attack are pretty secretive... at Road Atlanta they wouldn't work on the cars (extensively) in the open, they'd either tent off the trailer or roll it in the trailer.

They'll talk to you about the setup but they won't give you specific setup details
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since nobody will help you I will start...

Chassis: Check
Engine: Check
Build?: No, bought.
Transmission: Check
Roll Cage: Check
Wheels: Sometimes, but Check.
Turbo: Just where do you think all that POWA came from? Sure wasn't the engine alone...
Management: I am the boss.
Driving Tactics: Pedal through the floor until you hit something or win the race.
Reliable?: Who built it?

These are all the secrets I am willing to share at this point and time.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Secrets lol. Every car is different and will need its own suspension and engine tuning for whatever kind of racing or tire its on.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i guess for all you guys who race for a living, this isnt a good idea. There really isnt many road race honda's around my way. So its why I didint seem concerned about the "secrets".
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

there are a lot more than you would think....
Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2old4this
ok well i guess for all you guys who race for a living, this isnt a good idea. There really isnt many road race honda's around my way. So its why I didint seem concerned about the "secrets".
Well, I can see on a smaller level that is not as competitive, there's no reason to be that secretive. But there are several common elements. Instead of just having people put their potential setups (because there aren't that many focused Road Race turbo setups here) is there a particular question you're trying to ask?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No. This is the typical noob "chat/intro" thread. No purpose past trying to start up a conversation.

Look how many people are beating down the door to "share" their stats in this thread.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I mean the only thing that really distinguishes a "road race" honda from the rest of the cars would be suspension, brake setups, safety equipment (sanctioning body dependent) and turbo sizing (generalization, no need to get stupid detailed, (yet?)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No. This is the typical noob "chat/intro" thread. No purpose past trying to start up a conversation.

Look how many people are beating down the door to "share" their stats in this thread.
Your funny.

I really don't have a particular question. I built street/strip Hondas for years. I always wanted to try road racing. I am now in a place in my life that I can. Much like all of you I come on to Honda-tech for entertainment, inspiration, technical advice, etc. I like an "official blah blah" thread. If your interested in that topic, it's a wealth of information, insight, and inspiration.

I have been on Honda-tech since 2003 under another name. I haven't been on in a couple years, and decided to start fresh.

I can honestly say it hasn't changed at all. Still trolls lurking around picking Internet fights with people. Get a life and get out of my thread.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't think grumblemarc means any harm here. the problem is that in the couple of years you've been gone, this topic has rather worn itself out, and he's simply trying to make sure its not cluttered.

Really the differences as he stated were really more brake, suspension and oil / water coooling methods. Since NASA rules keep NA/turbo converted cars regulated to just one class, only HPDE and Open Time Attack on certain tracks are all that remain.

So. If you want to address a certain issue or particular area of interest, its best that you state it, instead of attempting a general discussion. For example, I did the same thing on intercoolers.. I know it will be the only one for quite some time.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a great idea
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Way to perpetuate the stereotype of Honda-tech dick heads. Do you guys have nothing better to do? Obviously Shodan it's your line of work selling turbos, but one would hope that one of your selling strategies does not include being an elitist *****. Maybe it helps sell turbos.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are looking for answers...do a search in the "Road Racing/Time Attack" and you will pull some threads

search for "Boost"

hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'll bite, after 12 years I have learned a thing or two. However i never thought i would be able to melt a turbo blanket(will post pics later). Get a large rad, oil cooler and pan. Put vents on brakes, dizzy, extra venting for all heat exchangers and my new one is a 4'' hose run to the back of the exhaust housing. 17 seconds flat out up the back straight at mosport will destroy everything. Bring extra dipsticks!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by integranator
Way to perpetuate the stereotype of Honda-tech dick heads. Do you guys have nothing better to do? Obviously Shodan it's your line of work selling turbos, but one would hope that one of your selling strategies does not include being an elitist *****. Maybe it helps sell turbos.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, I find some of you guys hard to deal with when I'm purchasing stuff from the States sometimes.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Root of all Evil
I'll bite, after 12 years I have learned a thing or two. However i never thought i would be able to melt a turbo blanket(will post pics later). Get a large rad, oil cooler and pan. Put vents on brakes, dizzy, extra venting for all heat exchangers and my new one is a 4'' hose run to the back of the exhaust housing. 17 seconds flat out up the back straight at mosport will destroy everything. Bring extra dipsticks!
Definitely interested in seeing pics of air ducts for turbo and distributor. In private if necessary. Do you remember what your coolant/oil temps were before all the added cooling in comparison to now? Did these extra cooling mods make the car less streetable?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In for results, building a dc4 for Street limited class of Global Time Attack.

Ls, high compression turbo, mfactory lsd, custom gearing, carbon fiber syncros etc etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DA-NINE
In for results, building a dc4 for Street limited class of Global Time Attack.

Ls, high compression turbo, mfactory lsd, custom gearing, carbon fiber syncros etc etc.
Carbon Fiber Synchros? LS for time attack? Now I know you are full of it...

Quick Reply: searched:Lets start a Forced Induction Road Race/Time attack thread.