Notices

(searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next??

"You will love the feel of this clutch on street or strip, Ive been runnin one for a year now and I love the smoth engaging and linear grab"

Y E A H R I G H T ! ! ! !

Thats what the guy at Nopi told me when I ordered this clutch. (he said it was a stage 4,...(Im not sure about the clamping force or anything,...just that its a stage 4) That couldnt be further from the truth!! It slips and chatters worse than any other clutch Ive ever owned. I HATE IT!!!

O.K., Now I feel better. I would like to know which clutch you guys recommend running on a turbo'd car with 300whp. Its my daily driver and weekend warrior so I want what every other guy wants.......A smooth engaging, non-slipping, no chattering or stuttering clutch!!! If Ive got to spend the $ to get what I want then FINE!!!!! I justt want to find one that I like without having to do it by trial and error. Id rather spend the money now and be sure than to buy 2 or 3 more clutches before I find one I like. If you need to know,.. Ive got a stock flywheel now.....maybe thats my problem?.... nope cant be bc I know another guy thats got a jrsc coupe with a stock flywheel and his clutch feels great. Not too stiff, not to soft,.... just right. (Id ask HIM if I knew how to get in touch with him). Your opinion by experience only please........Thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (allanonjj)

i was gonna run a stage 6 act, xtreme 2600lb pressure plate and a 6-puck unsprung disc but have since gone os giken twin disc

what one of my budies did by accident was order the stage 1 that was listed as a stage 4 because of the non-full face disc, what does your disc look like?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (allanonjj)

Did you get your flywheel ground to the specs that the clutch requires?

I have a Clutchmaster FX100 in my prelude and no chatter at all..

I also have a Clutchmaster FX500 in my civic racecar and for what the clutch is it doesnt chatter hardly at all, I would even say that you could use this clutch for everyday driving to a point..

I have used both Clutchmaster and Exedy and the both work great..
Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was gonna run a stage 6 act, xtreme 2600lb pressure plate and a 6-puck unsprung disc but have since gone os giken twin disc

what one of my budies did by accident was order the stage 1 that was listed as a stage 4 because of the non-full face disc, what does your disc look like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was told not to run the unsprung disc bc it would grad too harsh and kill my drivetrain.....any truth to that??

Ive heard of a lot of ppl getting the wrong clutch for their application....its like the guys packaging them were like"(stoned) hey mang, you know wut'd be funny,.....what if we took this clutch and put it in that box and took that clutch.....etc....etc...etc" I can only tell you that it had 6 pads ( i think) its been a few months ago so I dont remember fully what it looked like.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was gonna run a stage 6 act, xtreme 2600lb pressure plate and a 6-puck unsprung disc but have since gone os giken twin disc

what one of my budies did by accident was order the stage 1 that was listed as a stage 4 because of the non-full face disc, what does your disc look like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The same guy told me that if you had the money to go with a twin disc,....Hows yours??? What kinda power you puttin down?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allanonjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was told not to run the unsprung disc bc it would grad too harsh and kill my drivetrain.....any truth to that??</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is true, it is harder on the drivetrain..
Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (tgreaves)

so did u get your flywheel resurfaced?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allanonjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The same guy told me that if you had the money to go with a twin disc,....Hows yours??? What kinda power you puttin down?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i havent had a chance to use mine yet, but in the next few weeks i should have numbers... based on my math and my guy at garrett's math, with my custom spec'd turbo i should be able to make 500whp at 18psi on pump gas
Old 08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't had a problem with mine, and have had it almost 2 years. Barely any chatter, and doesn't slip. Its a 4-puck sprung disc....according to CC website it is Stage 5

Old 08-17-2005, 01:59 PM
New User

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (5thgen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allanonjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"You will love the feel of this clutch on street or strip, Ive been runnin one for a year now and I love the smoth engaging and linear grab"

Y E A H R I G H T ! ! ! !

Thats what the guy at Nopi told me when I ordered this clutch. (he said it was a stage 4,...(Im not sure about the clamping force or anything,...just that its a stage 4) That couldnt be further from the truth!! It slips and chatters worse than any other clutch Ive ever owned. I HATE IT!!!

O.K., Now I feel better. I would like to know which clutch you guys recommend running on a turbo'd car with 300whp. Its my daily driver and weekend warrior so I want what every other guy wants.......A smooth engaging, non-slipping, no chattering or stuttering clutch!!! If Ive got to spend the $ to get what I want then FINE!!!!! I justt want to find one that I like without having to do it by trial and error. Id rather spend the money now and be sure than to buy 2 or 3 more clutches before I find one I like. If you need to know,.. Ive got a stock flywheel now.....maybe thats my problem?.... nope cant be bc I know another guy thats got a jrsc coupe with a stock flywheel and his clutch feels great. Not too stiff, not to soft,.... just right. (Id ask HIM if I knew how to get in touch with him). Your opinion by experience only please........Thanks in advance </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't had a problem with mine, and have had it almost 2 years. Barely any chatter, and doesn't slip. Its a 4-puck sprung disc....according to CC website it is Stage 5

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have sold ALOT of Stage 5 their 4 puck clutches in both a standard pressure plate and the upgraded 2500lb pressure plate(more of the heavy duty pp actually). I have ridden and driven them and they are PERFECT considering you DO HAVE AN AFTERMARKET clutch. I haven't had one not one customer tell me they didn't like their Competition Clutch clutch. Strange! I run their Twin Disc in my own car. I have sold the Stage 4 which is a 6 Puck and again still no complaints

Also I would've recommended the same clutch you got the same as the Rep from NOPI.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (wantboost)

personally i'd rather deal with a little rough engagement then spend 1200+ on a twin disc that wasnt' meant for street use. especially since your only putting out ~300whp. get something more meant for street use. i believe jordoKAP ran a tilton on his street car and it didnt last too long. you should lookin into some of those full face high hp application clutches.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
New User

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">personally i'd rather deal with a little rough engagement then spend 1200+ on a twin disc that wasnt' meant for street use. especially since your only putting out ~300whp. get something more meant for street use. i believe jordoKAP ran a tilton on his street car and it didnt last too long. you should lookin into some of those full face high hp application clutches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually the less amount of pucks the more holding power, Full Face discs only come on most companies Stage 1 to Stage 2 clutches and sometime make it to a Stage 3 clutch. It dawned on me one day how 3,4,6 pucks apply more pressure than a full face disc. I have a Miniture Pinscher who is about 11 pounds, well she likes to lay on my chest/stomach and when she hears the door bell ring or whatever she POUNCES off of me off her two hind legs. Funny 11 pounds shouldn't hurt as bad as it does BUT off two small legs/paws/points(Pucks) it applies all that weight/pressure in those spots where as it would'nt if say she had big wide paws and same weight much like a full face disc clutch. Make sense?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (Boostfed.com)

well to my understanding they dont really hold more power just grab harder and are cheaper, or atleast that's why ACT's website leaves me to believe. I run a act 4 puck by the way. but the poster wanted no chatter and real smooth engagement and ACT has a street disc that support about 320 ft lbs of torque.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so did u get your flywheel resurfaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was hoping someone would ask that... the answer is ....well.....kind of. The guy that helped me put it in used an electric hand sander,... he said that thats what he did with his car. He is running a b16 built and bottle fed. I am wondering if my wholoe problem is just the flywheel. If thats the case,... since Ive been driving it for a few months, can I still just replace the flywheel?(that is IF thats the problem)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

i have a STAGE 1 CC clutch on my del sol thats now putting down about 230 to the wheels and its fine so far......doesn't slip or make sound or nothing
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allanonjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was hoping someone would ask that... the answer is ....well.....kind of. The guy that helped me put it in used an electric hand sander,... he said that thats what he did with his car. He is running a b16 built and bottle fed. I am wondering if my wholoe problem is just the flywheel. If thats the case,... since Ive been driving it for a few months, can I still just replace the flywheel?(that is IF thats the problem)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be your problem there, I dunno for fact. I ALWAYS havemy flywheels resurfaced at a reputable machine shop. If it was not right then and you drove on it, I would think the clutch surfaces have worn unevenly too Call Competition Clutch and talk to Chris Jewell and he will be able to better answer questions and help you out too.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (tannerLSt)

my stage 1 blows! it slips and chatters and grabs at random spots! i hate mine also!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (tannerLSt)

if u can do it yourself i'd drop the tranny and check out the flywheel and clutch pads. when you had your flywheel sanded did it come out looking brand new? or were there still signs of heatspots and discoloration?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think an ACT XTSS would be perfect for you. Mine never chattered.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (5thgen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't had a problem with mine, and have had it almost 2 years. Barely any chatter, and doesn't slip. Its a 4-puck sprung disc....according to CC website it is Stage 5

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've run that clutch into the high 10s and made 500 HP on it, I doubt it is slipping at 300 HP unless the flywheel is not surfaced correctly. I put that exact clutch in every street car I build, and it works great.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (XXXRacing)

Honestly, it sounds like installation error.

Yes, the clutch will chatter a little and have a slightly harsh engagement, as will any single disk designed to take serious power. My car has been making over 400 whp for a long time now and my CC Stage 4 hasn't slipped a bit. I also can think of 5-6 other guys that I know running the same setup on 400+ whp cars. There is no way that it is slipping at 300 whp unless you either installed it incorrectly or have been slipping the **** out of it. Competition Clutch in general is great, this is the first complaint I've ever heard about any of their clutches.

edit: I just read that you didn't resurface the flywheel, that is more than likely the problem.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 AM
New User

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (XXXRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XXXRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've run that clutch into the high 10s and made 500 HP on it, I doubt it is slipping at 300 HP unless the flywheel is not surfaced correctly. I put that exact clutch in every street car I build, and it works great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, it sounds like installation error.

Yes, the clutch will chatter a little and have a slightly harsh engagement, as will any single disk designed to take serious power. My car has been making over 400 whp for a long time now and my CC Stage 4 hasn't slipped a bit. I also can think of 5-6 other guys that I know running the same setup on 400+ whp cars. There is no way that it is slipping at 300 whp unless you either installed it incorrectly or have been slipping the **** out of it. Competition Clutch in general is great, this is the first complaint I've ever heard about any of their clutches.

edit: I just read that you didn't resurface the flywheel, that is more than likely the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (Boostfed.com)

I hope that IS the problem. I mean, it sucks that Ive got to spend more $ but at least IKNOW WHAT THE ISUUE IS.

O.k., so Ive pretty much decided that the re-surfacing was the issue(and yes, it did look brand new after he sanded it)so now back to my first question (kind-of). Which is the best clutch for a 300-350whp car with a little snail??? Like I said, I want the best I can get (without spending more than 1400 bucks or so, flywheel included) for the performance I stated earlier.
Like I said earlier, I only want to hear from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE plz. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:56 PM

i would say act xtss
Old 08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next?? (turboekcivic)

Im going to be running clutchmasters stage 5.

Quick Reply: (searched) 300whp hatch competition clutch SUXXX!! What next??