Notices

Sandwich Plate restricting oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandwich Plate restricting oil?

Built an ls/vtec with the Golden Eagle kit. Motor runs great on boost, no problems. I decide to change the oil. After dropping the oil, i dropped the filter and there was no oil in the filter.

I changed the filter like normal, filled the oil, then let it run. I pulled the filter (without dropping the oil from the motor) and again, no oil. Maybe a teaspoon at the most came out when I turned it upside down.

I've changed oil on many cars, many times, and I've never seen an empty filter.

I currently have the GE sandwhich adapter plate, with one port running to the head for the vtec, and the other port running to my turbo. I know both lines have oil pressure as I primed them both before initial start up.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 05-20-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sandwich Plate restricting oil?

nobody knows?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At first it sounds like you are using an oil filter that has an anti reversing valve. IT keeps the oil inside the filter. What kind of filter are you using? There are 2 ways to check and see if there is oil in the filter. Cut one open and check for saturation. the other way is to weigh it, a new filter should way ounces and one filled with oild should feel much heavier.
Hope this gives you a starting place.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

if your getting oil in your lines its going threw the filter because the oil has to go threw the filter to get to your lines.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First filter was a napa gold, which I only used for initial start up; second filter (currently still on), is a Bosch that I got from oreilys. It makes sense that oil must be passing through if thats the only way oil feeds the lines (as stated by GE rep). Is it possible the filter is developing an air pocket inside or something?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are all sandwich plates this way? Do they all go through the filter first before it goes to the ports? I hope so.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by HarfordCTR
are all sandwich plates this way? Do they all go through the filter first before it goes to the ports? I hope so.
all of our sandwich plates use filtered oil not sure about the other brands
Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did notice that each time I removed the filter and reinstalled it, I had to unplug the dizzy and crank it a few times to build the oil pressure back up.

I've never had to do this with an oil filter change before, but then again, I've never had a sandwich adapter before.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a GE sandwich plate and I have oil in my filter and never had a problem with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kte324
I have a GE sandwich plate and I have oil in my filter and never had a problem with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with the car running, I cracked both the vtec and oil line a little and oil started leaking out, so I must be getting full oil pressure from the adapter.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know if the glowshift adapter is the same? Does is feed filtered oil?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The glowshift looks like the typical ebay-style unfiltered adapter.

If your filter or adapter were restricting oil, you'd find out VERY quickly. Engines don't last many miles w/o oil pressure. All I could guess is your oil pump is worn enough to let the oil dump back into the pan rather quickly. If you really want to be sure, start it up cold, run it for 30 seconds, then turn off and pull the filter w/in 15 seconds. You'll just have to watch out for the oil that leaks out from the head passages.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run strictly Bosch Filters in all my vehicles, they always leak out when I un-screw them from the block on my Teg and my Daily.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
If your filter or adapter were restricting oil, you'd find out VERY quickly. Engines don't last many miles w/o oil pressure. All I could guess is your oil pump is worn enough to let the oil dump back into the pan rather quickly. If you really want to be sure, start it up cold, run it for 30 seconds, then turn off and pull the filter w/in 15 seconds. You'll just have to watch out for the oil that leaks out from the head passages.

Oil pump is brand new, OEM. I currently am monitoring my oil pressure with a Autometer gauge. The sensor is remotely mounted to a tee on the firewall with the stock sensor, and a 3an line.

Gauge reads around 15-20 hot at idle, 50+ hot at higher rpms. I know I have sufficient pressure throughout my system. If not, my turbo would have blown by now, and my VTEC would definitely not engage. Instead, my turbo runs like a champ, and VTEC pops like crazy.

I can't figure it out!
Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq
Built an ls/vtec with the Golden Eagle kit. Motor runs great on boost, no problems. I decide to change the oil. After dropping the oil, i dropped the filter and there was no oil in the filter.

I changed the filter like normal, filled the oil, then let it run. I pulled the filter (without dropping the oil from the motor) and again, no oil. Maybe a teaspoon at the most came out when I turned it upside down.

I currently have the GE sandwhich adapter plate, with one port running to the head for the vtec, and the other port running to my turbo. I know both lines have oil pressure as I primed them both before initial start up.

Any suggestions?
I had this same issue. Never really pinpointed the problem. What i think went wrong was the screw on connector that slides through sandwich plate came loose or started to leak with the sandwich plate still sealed to block so the oil ran straight to whatever you were supplying from plate. Internal leakage! That or your oil pickup is clogged or gasket is going. This is basically what i had it rounded down to.. Not sure if id use thread sealer. I don't think it expands so as long as you swipe some on as far up the threads away from oil as you can then you might be good.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq

Any suggestions?
Being from 2009 im sure you figured it out! But if you didnt and are still stumped, this could provide clarity!