Notices

SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End?

Im asking this for my friend and a little for me.

We both have OBDO cars with built D16's and shooting for the range of 300whp on 15-18psi

I was wonderring if it was at all possible to bring and safc II that high.

Ive read that it advances your timing or something but I dont really know much about that. I have an MSD BTM 6AL though, my friend doesnt so he might be out of luck, maybe thye could be used together or something.

I also have my own TwinTEC digital wideband that I will have full time installed in my car to monitor a/f

I want to be able to use this SAFC so I can go from setup to setup a lot easier than with Turboedit because I just hate chips and ecus and really dont get it and dont have anyone remotely close to me to tune my car. I plan on changing setups quite frequently and even going back to n/a for smog.

Ive also heard it throws a code soehow after 11psi or something, possibly something with the map sensor, Ive heard of check valves but dont completely understand them, wont my wideband and the SAFC need a MAP sensor reading? Any thoughts onhow to bea the 11ps **** Ive been reading about

Just wonderring if its at all possible and possible safely

Old 10-29-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (BlueShadow)

you forgot to tell him that the hack advances ignition like crazy! and thats the biggest problem with the afc hack
Old 10-29-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did say that...not being able to retard timing under boost = timing will get advanced under boost. I'm just saying the glass is half empty, you're saying the glass is half full. hehehe</TD></TR></TABLE> no its not. your saying that the timing is the same as it was originaly but the timing will be much wurse ant a btm won't help you much with that huge amount of advance!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (W O T)

WHY run a hack with a built engine

for what you'll spend on a safc2 and 6al-btm you can buy an obd1 computer crome pro and make a conversion harness (or buy one).

You'll have more features; better fuel economy (maybe) and it'll be safe; you know your ecu is seeing exactly what it needs to see unlike a hack.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (Pay2play killa)

Becuase I already have an MSD BTM 6AL in my possession. So I would trade my chipped ecu and some cash for an SAFC II and run the safc

Thats what I wanna do if people say it can be done safely, I want to be able to run a efficient setup and one that allows me to switch settings easily with my wideband for street tuning and I wanna be able to make a tune to pass emmisions

I suck with computers, turboedit is not for me and I just dont understand it yet. Only 19, still have lots of time to learn, but I dont wanna expletive up my motor with advanced timing after a week

The MSD is safe to run with high boost?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM

You are young, and that is why you should listen. Kids these days. They always want to take the easiest route and learn the hard way.

its sounds to me like people are giving good advice. You already have a wideband, wich is halfway to having the ability to tune yourself. Now go read up on rom editors and be the envy of the lazy neighborhood racers.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ditch obd0 and go with crome pro; you can't go wrong; it tunes itself ffs...

sell you obd0 ****; btm and other crap and buy an obd1 computer; conversion harness; crome pro and i'm asuming you already have a chip burner and wideband...

If not you're shooting yourself in the foot; an safc and btm will get the job done but its still a hack... and what if you overboost; you'll run lean and blow **** up. Crome has built in boost cut and will save your **** if something bad happens.

overboost protection should be the MAIN REASON the big turbo guys go for an aftermarket ems; i've known tons of rotary idiot's who spend scads of money on their engines and FI setups only to have ONE KNOCK destroy their engine; And the sad part is they've done it more than once...

Go with a real ems; you WON'T be sorry!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 AM

No I dont have a chip burner nor any knowledge on how these work or what I need

Theres just to much computer bs and dyno time needed to me to get a turboedit setup running

Im stumped on what to do actually, how do people start form scratch on learning something like turboedit and how to change and burn chips and tuning with a wideband....... I just dont get it
Old 10-29-2005, 11:39 AM

you will find everything on PGMFI.org.

plus for obd0, i would look into BRE rom editor, its the best for OBD0 cars.

Its easy if you're willing to learn. Even i was able to do it! and i sux majorly at anything electrical.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No I dont have a chip burner nor any knowledge on how these work or what I need

Theres just to much computer bs and dyno time needed to me to get a turboedit setup running

Im stumped on what to do actually, how do people start form scratch on learning something like turboedit and how to change and burn chips and tuning with a wideband....... I just dont get it</TD></TR></TABLE>

well learn it... it's not THAT hard...
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM

WEll then

I doubt I can learn, and I doubt I can troubleshoot it and tune it

Sounds to difficult from all the horror storeis Ive been reading about bugs and boost spikes and wrong adjustments and ****
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$30 for a chip burner... $50 for DSM injectors... and you could be done. The rest is just reading. Sit down on PGMFI.org and read about TurboEdit... and then download it, open it up and just fiddle around with it! No one understands this **** when they first look at it, and no one's gonna make you feel stupid because you don't understand it right off the bat either. In the long run, it's the better option, though it's more difficult initially!

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer as best I can
Old 10-29-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (raene)

Already got the dsm injectors

Gonna search for a burner now, have a suggestion? for a very very computer illiterate person? ease of use and reliability is key

How many chips do you usually have?

Ive already got the chipped ecu, with a basemap burned on a chip, its also one of those removable chips
Old 10-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out the one from moates.net, easy to use (you can burn right from CROME). also forum.pgmfi.org has answers to lots of your questions....just search.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (lithium)

A few things:

1) You aren't going to make 300hp with the afc hack with any sort of reliability -- and as a matter of fact, you probably can't do it at all.

2) You already have a chipped ECU -- that is what you NEED to have to try to make 300hp.

3) If you don't know how to tune, an afc is not the answer. You will blow up your car if you try it. What makes you think that if tuning yourself or learning is so hard, that the AFC is so magical that it has it all figured out? It's actually quite a "stupid" peice of hardware, per se.

So, all in all, no, an afc will not do it. Their limitations are about 12 psi (stock map sensor) and there is no way around them. Though I ran it for 10k miles like that, I wouldn't call it reliable, and it's not gonna cut it for anything more.

Good luck.

Matt
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (Johnyquest)

Turboedit freaking rocks. Im was 16 when I frist started running it. I finally just boosted my CRX this summer now that Im 17. It took a lil bit to catch on, but looking back, Im glad that I didnt go any other way with fuel management. 15psi on a stock B20 ownz me lol. It'll take a lil bit to figure stuff out, but there are so many other options that TE offers that the SAFC doesnt. A laptop is nice to have when doing tunning, and if you have that and a chip burner, your set. Trust me, it may seem hard now, and intially you might be overwhelmed, but if you like to know whats going on, TE is the way to go. If you dont feel comfortable tunning, find someone who will, or will help you tune it (id be gald to, contact me via PM and so would many others) and go from there. I highly recomened you reconsider running the SAFC if at all possible.

Good luck and happy boosting,

Blaze

Old 10-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (unbanned_evosol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unbanned_evosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They always want to take the easiest route and learn the hard way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if they took the perceived hard route without first failing by going the perceived easy route, it'll leave the big what-if question remaining - could I have done it easier/cheaper?

So to sum up: Get that S/VAFC and run The Hack.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well if they took the perceived hard route without first failing by going the perceived easy route, it'll leave the big what-if question remaining - could I have done it easier/cheaper?

So to sum up: Get that S/VAFC and run The Hack.
Then in a month or so make a thread with the carnage! </TD></TR></TABLE>

*fixed
Old 10-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin...sSuck

Run some of the free management code and tune with one of the fine editors out there. There is pleny of info and its actually quite easy to do. There is pretty much an editor/system for every setup:

turboedit: obd0 non vtec (or 1 wire vtec) pm6, ps9, pr4, etc.
bre: obd0 vtec pr3 and pw0
chrome: obd1 all

All of these 'systems' come with the requsite ecu code you'll need for boost or whatevery else you will need to do.

Ben
Old 10-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: SAFC II - Tuning Limitations - Where Do They End? (Ben Ogle)

there you go... the man has spoken. Mr. Ben Ogle himself, the man behind BRE rom editor.