Notices

Sad day for my pride and joy.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day for my pride and joy.

Well what can I say yesterday was a very depressing day for me and my car.

It was Friday night/Saturday morning on my way home from grabbing a bite with some friends. We got onto the highway and I decide to give a little gas to make the ride home a little more enjoyable, and all of a sudden I felt a surge of power. The wheels were frantically looking for traction at the top of fourth gear...I look to the boost guage and see it nearing 20 psi!!!!!! I let off the gas and proceeded to the next exit. My first thought was everything was fine the car ran fine and didn't seem to lose any power, but as I stop at the first light after the exit a cloud of smoke engulfs my car. The smoke was blowing from my exhaust and my valve cover breather.

I woke up the next morning hoping it was a bad dream, but i started the car and smoke soon followed. We pulled th car into the garage and did a compression check it read like this

# 1 200psi
# 2 200psi
# 3 100psi
# 4 200psi

we dropped oil in the # 3 cylinder and it didn't change at all. On another note th car still runs fine just looks like spy-hunter with all the smoke.

Now Im getting ready to put a good old SOHC V-tec in the car so I can still have the honda to drive every day...I think im already going through boost with-drawl.

One good thing will come from all of this I have already started the buildup of the new motor and will hopefully be racing int the pro-am/sportFwd next season.

also the motor was a stock block B18b, stock head b16a2 LS/vtec with max-rev turbo setup running 9psi.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (DOHCarp)

Damn that sucks dude. I like the pics I have seen of your car, nice. Sorry about the bad luck. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Rhman19)

What caused the boost spike?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Chrome Pipes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chrome Pipes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What caused the boost spike? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I let a friend borrow my dizzy to see if that was his problem, but my turboxs dual stage boost controller is bolted to my distributor. After removing everything the boostcontroller was loosened some how where the two controllers joint so I was leaking preassure to my wastegate.

thanks for listening to my sad story.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:44 PM

i did the same thing in my car but the vacum line to the wastgate was rubing on the hood and broke off. u probobly just broke a ring land just like me.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Ph@tZooM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ph@tZooM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did the same thing in my car but the vacum line to the wastgate was rubing on the hood and broke off. u probobly just broke a ring land just like me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, probably did. I was going to just swap out the piston, but decided to take a diffrent rout and just get my built motor in check before I spend any money on my fun motor.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (jerseykid609)

good luck on your next rebuilt. hope you make it in time for the next season.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (jerseykid609)

Cracked ringland
Old 12-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (9psiTurboSI)

that was the exact same thing that hapened to my built motor, was cyl 3, brand new JE melted. i drove the car for like 2 weeks or soo. once and a while i would shut off on me , when it started shutting off more oftec i decided to put her down .sorry to hear man , car was bad ***, but onto to better and bigger things i hope./
Old 12-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (itr206)

damn. Sorry to hear. It's always good to have an extra daily driver for this. Luckyily i got the bro's DX to back me up along w/a spare longblock (z6).

GOOD luck on your next venture! I loved that car. It was badass.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what wastegate were you running?
Old 12-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Jordo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jordo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what wastegate were you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tial wastegate, but it was the loose boost controler that caused the damage.

Thanks everybody the wounds will slowlly heal.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no dump tube?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (igotyofire)

Are you sure its the bottomend and not the headgasket? Sorry to hear about your misfortune
Old 12-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (igotyofire)

sorry to hear man. but from the time in your sig Id say that setup treated you will good for being all stock. may she RIP
Old 12-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Boosted99Si)

i always thought if the oil down the cylinder didnt bring it up then the valves were most likely to blame. you should do a leakdown. sorry about your troubles that is truly one badass hatch.

Landon
Old 12-14-2003, 07:39 PM

i say its a blown head gasket thats all check ur coolant and oil and see how they look
Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (loud95ex)

It would be great if it was a head gasket, but if it isn't oh well. Like i said this is exactly what I needed to get my *** moving to finish my race motor. Its pretty funny when I went to hang out with my friends at the local shop they were all so happy that this happened so I would finish my other motor. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens as im going to pull the head tomorrow.

All in all its just like Boosted99SI said this motor owes me nothing...I beat the crap out of it and showed me some great times. I honestly didn't have one problem with this motor from the day I finished it. The second weekend it was done I drove to E-town for the import survival series, then drove directly to virginia for vacation with it. Im going to do the same thing to the next motor too...I'll drive it every day, and I hope to be hitting some 10's with it.

Oh and I did eventually put on a dump tube.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (DOHCarp)

Hey chad, yah, thats the way you have to look at it man, You got yer use out of it, had great luck, and then it went. Got to keep yer chin up about it.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTYdashONE)

damn..o well at least you have something to do while all this damn snow owns you..haha..you wanna run 10s with the built motor..I cant wait..lol..all those blockers at Numidia are gonna **** their panties when the see a honda run that quick
Old 12-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (BoostingSnail)

Excuse my ignorance, but i was thought that when doing a compression check, when you dropped oil into the cyclinder. And redo the check and the numbers didnt change that it meant it was a head gasket. My reason is i thought the oil would make a seal around the rings; and if the numbers where still low it would then be the headgasket.

Sorry for your loss (sounds like im talking about a loved one) lol happened to me not to long ago. Goodluck with the rebuild
Old 12-15-2003, 01:52 AM

Sorry to hear man...I've been there...3 times! Don't worry, you'll come back faster and beter
Old 12-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sad day for my pride and joy. (Hoosier Daddy)

Glad you are staying in the game! my brother went through THREE b18a/bs this summer. Hes out. He went and bought a b20, and then got the front end of the car run over(his fault, needs to learn how to merge into traffic). Engines fine, car has seen better days. So after a long talk with mom, she said "Just tube the front of it and be done!"
ok Now that he has decided to keep the car, Im trying to talk him into a JRSC, 6 psi, DONE.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:08 AM

HOORAY FOR CHAD!!! Ya it was pretty funny i was behind him the night in question, it deffinately was like spy hunter! He's just lucky that the fury of the 88 accord wasnt unleashed! hahaha. Seriously, it was time and that motor did Chad justice, I can't wait to see the finished race car/motor for next season. Team Ghetto Speed Racing into the 10's!!!