Notices

Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do?

edit:

i got over it.... 190-200 deg is not too hot!

Modified by ham at 3:42 PM 11/13/2007
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always wrap your mani/dp so the rad doesnt get heat soaked. As well as trying some water wetter or even a few drops of dishwasher soap works (so I've heard). IMO your temps sound fine. But you can try those things and see if they help
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man, I have a half rad, bigger intercooler, Slim fan, and a 4 inch DP almost touching my rad.. and I never overheat...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Topdawgg)

some cars just run warmer than others....

try the heatwrap. also, can you set the temp that the fan comes on at with hondata? ive got mine set to come on at 160 i think and to stay on the whole time its at or above 160*. barring other issues, my coolant temp is always good, and my oil never even hits above 215 or so ( i think the oil usually runs around 30ish degrees hotter than the coolant give or take)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (ham)

Does your lower rad hose get hot? You mentioned 200 with the heat on, are you getting heat?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

run the fan 24/7? worked for me
Old 09-23-2007, 10:21 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some cars just run warmer than others....

try the heatwrap. also, can you set the temp that the fan comes on at with hondata? ive got mine set to come on at 160 i think and to stay on the whole time its at or above 160*. barring other issues, my coolant temp is always good, and my oil never even hits above 215 or so ( i think the oil usually runs around 30ish degrees hotter than the coolant give or take)</TD></TR></TABLE>
ive tried heatwrap and other little things to bring the temp down, but its always the same. i severely increased the cooling capacity and its exactly the same as with the half rad and big manifold. cant change the temp at which the fan turns on in hondata... at least not that i know of... i will verify this!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, I have a half rad, bigger intercooler, Slim fan, and a 4 inch DP almost touching my rad.. and I never overheat...</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what i want!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (Minor Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minor Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does your lower rad hose get hot? You mentioned 200 with the heat on, are you getting heat?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the lower hose gets hot and the heat works great. i mentioned the heat because it brought down the temps a couple degrees.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Your cooling system might be great but I got 2 possible solutions:

1-Intercooler is simply blocking to much surface area and your not getting enought air flow to the rad.

2-fan wired backwards and is blowing air INTO the rad (ive done this and it keeps the car pretty hot)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds to me like your thermostat is determining your temp, since you have excess cooling capacity, but what I don't get how it didn't change with a different stat. I had an aftermarket digital temp guage/fan controller in one of my cars, and with a 180 deg thermostat, it ran at exactly 193 degrees, as long as I was driving fast enough to keep the fan from coming on. What temp is your current thermostat, and also, how accurate is the sending unit anyway? Also, I wonder if turning the heat on might be able to create a cooler spot by the sensor, due to how and where the water is flowing?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

i think im in denial and i actually need a headgasket. im always changing stuff on the car so much that i never really notice any missing coolant or bubbles in the system, but I think some boost is getting under the head gasket. this thing should be running at like 170-180 given the cooling system and outside air temp. are there any tests i can do? compression was perfect... + - &lt; 2psi
Old 09-23-2007, 12:33 PM
vestalfootball72

pop off your radiator cap, and start the car up. If coolant shoots out your HG is bad
Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (vestalfootball72)

u should put a nice temp gauge and see what its really running at and also, u should have ur fan on a switch, that way u can leave it running longer.

What CFM fan do u have?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pop off your radiator cap, and start the car up. If coolant shoots out your HG is bad </TD></TR></TABLE>

nope... not even any bubbles. if it was really bad i think it would do that. i think i could still have a bad head gasket.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u should put a nice temp gauge and see what its really running at and also, u should have ur fan on a switch, that way u can leave it running longer.

What CFM fan do u have?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
the temp gauge is accurate. just by touching the motor you can tell its hot as hell. i have a FAL fan which is pretty much the best fan you can get for a honda. i love it and it works great, but i shouldnt need it, the teg radiator should keep it plenty cool.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When the fan turns on hold a piece of paper near it see if it sucks it in the fan or pushs it away.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon sports sells a low temp fan switch and thermostat that work together @ I think 180f

http://www.spoonsports.us/cata...h.htm

http://www.spoonsports.us/cata...t.htm
Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think im in denial and i actually need a headgasket. im always changing stuff on the car so much that i never really notice any missing coolant or bubbles in the system, but I think some boost is getting under the head gasket. this thing should be running at like 170-180 given the cooling system and outside air temp. are there any tests i can do? compression was perfect... + - &lt; 2psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, there is a test you can do. I think it's about $30 for the kit. It uses a fluid that changes color to test for the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant. You put the test thing on your radiator in place of the cap and start the car, it'll tell you right away. Thing is, from what you've written, I don't think you have a bad head gasket. You wrote that you can beat on the car and it stays close to the same temp. A bad head gasket wouldn't cause immediate overheating, but it would cause immediate pressurization of your cooling system, resulting in coolant spraying out of the overflow, which would then cause your car to overheat, due to reduced coolant.

What is your thermostat's temp?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (rorik)

where can i get this kit?

right now i have a 160 stat in there i got from ebay. i placed it in hot water on the stove and it started to open right at 160.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car with solid deck sleeves, and my friends bone stock gsr reads 200-208ect on hondata also with no overheating issues...i dout you have any problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dreadcivicturbo)

pressure check the cooling system.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (postman)

im having the same problem my self. I am running between 203-208 at all times. and i am not running thermostat. ???
Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (PINKS)

just bought a brand new 72C thermostat from honda, ill try that with the fan on all the time and see how it is.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try a bottle of water wetter and the wrap.....kept my temp around 185-190 when I had my crx and you know that was a tight fit.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (red_crx)

didnt read most the post but short the fan to run constantly or drill some bypass holes into your thermostat...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do? (S@nt0s)

why would you think 200 deg is cause for concern?

Quick Reply: Runs a little too hot for my liking... what else to do?