Notices

Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Alright guys, i'm getting ready to put put my new motor together and i figured i'd run the setup past you guys just to possibly catch anything that i might have overlooked, that might cause me a problem. I know some of you will tell me to use an LS crank but i've already got the eagle one here, as well as the dart block & other components that i got one heck of a good deal on, so i'm probably going to stick with it. Last year i ran an LS motor with a forged bottom end and the head began to become a restriction, meanwhile i was stock piling parts because i knew i wanted more power than that thing was going to give me. Now it's time to put this thing together, only thing i'm waiting on is the intake manifold.

I'd really like to see between 450-500whp and make a 10sec. pass on the drag strip. No matter what kinda ten it is, thats sorta been my goal. I've already got nice suspension / traction bars / lsd, and some sticky tires, so that end of things should be all taken care of.

I'm assuming that my turbo is going to be my power limitation here, either that or my intercooler, so any insight that some of you more knowlageable folks might be able to pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BLOCK:
Dart 2.0 Liter Closed Deck 84.5mm Bore
CP Pistons 9.0:1 Compression
Eagle Crankshaft (stock ls dimensions)
Eagle Rods (stock ls lenth)

HEAD:
GSR CNC Ported & Polished Head
Supertech Valvetrain
Skunk2 Pro2 NA Cams (Have a set of NEW GSR stock cams also if needed)
Edelbrock Victor X Intake Manifold
Darkstar Adjustable Cam Gears

TURBO SETUP:
Garrett T3/T4 (.60/.63)
Homemade Top Mount manifold
2.5 Inch Intercooler piping, all mandrel bent with couplers & t-bolt clamps
8Inch JRC Intercooeler
Tial wastegate & BOV
NoName catchcan setup

TRANS:
b16 Tranny
OBX LSD (working very well, put it in last season)

Starting to get rather excited!

Modified by Running925 at 12:54 PM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (Running925)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright guys, i'm getting ready to put put my new motor together and i figured i'd run the setup past you guys just to possibly catch anything that i might have overlooked, that might cause me a problem. I know some of you will tell me to use an LS crank but i've already got the eagle one here, as well as the dart block & other components that i got one heck of a good deal on, so i'm probably going to stick with it. Last year i ran an LS motor with a forged bottom end and the head began to become a restriction, meanwhile i was stock piling parts because i knew i wanted more power than that thing was going to give me. Now it's time to put this thing together, only thing i'm waiting on is the intake manifold.

I'd really like to see between 450-500whp and make a 10sec. pass on the drag strip. No matter what kinda ten it is, thats sorta been my goal. I've already got nice suspension / traction bars / lsd, and some sticky tires, so that end of things should be all taken care of.

I'm assuming that my turbo is going to be my power limitation here, either that or my intercooler, so any insight that some of you more knowlageable folks might be able to pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BLOCK:
Dart 2.0 Liter Closed Deck 84.5mm Bore
CP Pistons 9.0:1 Compression
Eagle Crankshaft (stock ls dimensions)
Eagle Rods (stock ls lenth)

HEAD:
GSR CNC Ported & Polished Head
Supertech Valvetrain
Skunk2 Pro2 NA Cams (Have a set of NEW GSR stock cams also if needed)
Edelbrock Victor X Intake Manifold
Darkstar Adjustable Cam Gears

TURBO SETUP:
Garrett T3/T4 (.60/.63)
Homemade Top Mount manifold
2.5 Inch Intercooler piping, all mandrel bent with couplers & t-bolt clamps
8Inch JRC Intercooeler
Tial wastegate & BOV
NoName catchcan setup

TRANS:
b16 Tranny
OBX LSD (working very well, put it in last season)

Starting to get rather excited!

Modified by Running925 at 12:54 PM 4/1/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think the GSR head was much of a restriction at or below 500whp. are you running stock sized valves?

what trim turbo is it? .63 and .60 are the a/r on the covers but that doesnt show which actual turbo it is.

what clutch and engine management system are you running, what fuel setup etc....
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (mike@synapse motorsport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike@synapse motorsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think the GSR head was much of a restriction at or below 500whp. are you running stock sized valves?

what trim turbo is it? .63 and .60 are the a/r on the covers but that doesnt show which actual turbo it is.

what clutch and engine management system are you running, what fuel setup etc....</TD></TR></TABLE>

last year i ran an LS motor.. that means the head too! so once again, i believe that it was a restriction.

The tubo size is stated up there as a Garrett t3/t4 (.60/.63) Not sure what else u want from that.

Clutch being ran is an ACT 6 puck unsprung disc with an HD extream pressure plate.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (Running925)

IMO, I would run a bigger turbo if you want to run 10's
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (92cxturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92cxturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, I would run a bigger turbo if you want to run 10's</TD></TR></TABLE>

a 10.99 would be fine with me as long as i could make a 10 sec pass! It's just a goal that i'd like to achieve, doesn't have to be the most consistant thing. I street drive the car mor than anything, only go to the track every other couple weekends or so.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have too much motor and not enough turbo imo... also im not sure what intercooler your running...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have too much motor and not enough turbo imo... also im not sure what intercooler your running...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that i might have to upgrade the turbo down the road but here are the spec.'s on the current unit that i've been planning on running again this year.

flow: 53 lbs/min 678cfm

.60 A/R HOUSING

60 TRIM WHEEL

TURBINE SPECS:

.63 A/R HOUSING

STAGE 3 WHEEL

oil lubricated centersection.

supportable of 475whp!

That turbo is currently being rebuilt, if i have it converted to an 82ar the spec's would change to be supportable of 525whp. Any thoughts or ideas here?

Ohh & the intercooler is a JohnnyRaceCar 8Inch (i believe it's a tube & fin, i'll have to snag a pic of it to toss up here)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have too much motor and not enough turbo imo... also im not sure what intercooler your running...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree.

without knowing what trim turbo it is tough to say if it can meet your goals. 60 trim possibly, 57 trim tougher but doable, 50 trim doubtful.

any pictures of the home made top mount?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (mike@synapse motorsport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike@synapse motorsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree.

without knowing what trim turbo it is tough to say if it can meet your goals. 60 trim possibly, 57 trim tougher but doable, 50 trim doubtful.

any pictures of the home made top mount?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you reading anything! Look up, the specs and trim size is posted! This is beginning to get frustrating.

I've searched the crap out of this & many people on here have stated that a high 10 sec pass can be had with 450-500whp, so thats what i've been shooting for all along. This tubo currently supports 475, if i upgrade it while it's being rebuilt to an 82ar it will support 525whp. Which should meet my goals. I over built the motor coz i didn't wanna have issues with it & i wanted to leave room to grow in case things change downt he road. But now i'm hearing that this turbo isn't going to meet my goals.. Whats the deal?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 AM

your turbo is rated at 475hp max and you want sombody to tell you it would make an easy 550whp? you have to boost the crap out of that turbo to make more than 500whp which would really be stupid. its gonna start caughing oil on your second or third pass sell the turbo and get something bigger

oh and toss that intercooler as well

IMHO dont waste your motors potential on that turbo kit
Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (wabaki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wabaki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your turbo is rated at 475hp max and you want sombody to tell you it would make an easy 550whp? you have to boost the crap out of that turbo to make more than 500whp which would really be stupid. its gonna start caughing oil on your second or third pass sell the turbo and get something bigger</TD></TR></TABLE>

yet again.. someone else that doesn't read. NOBODY said anything about 550!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you reading anything! Look up, the specs and trim size is posted! This is beginning to get frustrating.

I've searched the crap out of this & many people on here have stated that a high 10 sec pass can be had with 450-500whp, so thats what i've been shooting for all along. This tubo currently supports 475, if i upgrade it while it's being rebuilt to an 82ar it will support 525whp. Which should meet my goals. I over built the motor coz i didn't wanna have issues with it & i wanted to leave room to grow in case things change downt he road. But now i'm hearing that this turbo isn't going to meet my goals.. Whats the deal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you posted that while i was typing mine, look at the time stamps. you didnt even have an answer the first time i asked. you didnt know what turbo you were getting or have. dont get pissy with me when im actually trying to help you out.

with an efficient manifold(not sure what your homemade one is like), and turbo setup, a light enough chassis, good tires, and more importantly excellent driving. i think the 60 trim can get you into the 10's.

Modified by mike@synapse motorsport at 8:22 AM 4/2/2008
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you posted that while i was typing mine, look at the time stamps. you didnt even have an answer the first time i asked. you didnt know what turbo you were getting or have. dont get pissy with me when im actually trying to help you out.

with an efficient manifold, and turbo setup, a light enough chassis, good tires, and more importantly excellent driving. i think the 60 trim can get you into the 10's

Modified by mike@synapse motorsport at 8:20 AM 4/2/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not getting pissy, it's in the origional post. Regardless, all i wanna know is if i'm on the right track to nail a 10.99 sec pass & if everything is going to work together..

I ran decent times outa last years setup, but it just didn't end up being what i wanted. I've been workin my azz off to get all of this together. I'm 25yrs old with my own home. I don't make a lot of money, the money i do make goes twords bills.. i work in my garage to afford stuff for my car. It's not easy.. just a passion. I wanna go fast. Just figured that this would be a pretty simple thread & i might get a few pointers out of it before i actually begin assembly next week.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Local bump. Me and you both will be shooting for a 10.99 this year
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (Boostedb20EH2)

i agree your motor is to much for that turbo. you should look into a n sc61 or gt30. they are rated at 500-650 hp but who says you have to max that out. your turbo is rated at 475 MAX! that means you be MAXING OUT YOUR TURBO EVERYTIME YOU USE IT. what happens wen you use something to its max all the time, you cut down its life spand DRASTICLY. also your IAT will be thru the roof. youll be breathing hot air into the motor and fuxx up your tune and eventually cost you a motor.

use commom sense. you went thru all that trouble and money to build a motor that can handle 475 easily. why not have a turbo that can met your goals easily too?

o and your drag radials wont cut a 10.99 with 450whp especially if you are as nice of a driver as you are a builder.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (d16z6Tcrx)

I say 24.5 inch M &H's
Thats what I'll be using.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not getting pissy, it's in the origional post. Regardless, all i wanna know is if i'm on the right track to nail a 10.99 sec pass & if everything is going to work together..

I ran decent times outa last years setup, but it just didn't end up being what i wanted. I've been workin my azz off to get all of this together. I'm 25yrs old with my own home. I don't make a lot of money, the money i do make goes twords bills.. i work in my garage to afford stuff for my car. It's not easy.. just a passion. I wanna go fast. Just figured that this would be a pretty simple thread & i might get a few pointers out of it before i actually begin assembly next week.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

in the original post you displayed .60 and .63 a/r. those dont tell what trim turbo it is. that is the a/r on the cover. those covers could be on a gt35r for all i know.

i think the 60 trim could do it, if everything else is efficient and the car is setup properly.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (d16z6Tcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16z6Tcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree your motor is to much for that turbo. you should look into a n sc61 or gt30. they are rated at 500-650 hp but who says you have to max that out. your turbo is rated at 475 MAX! that means you be MAXING OUT YOUR TURBO EVERYTIME YOU USE IT. what happens wen you use something to its max all the time, you cut down its life spand DRASTICLY. also your IAT will be thru the roof. youll be breathing hot air into the motor and fuxx up your tune and eventually cost you a motor.

use commom sense. you went thru all that trouble and money to build a motor that can handle 475 easily. why not have a turbo that can met your goals easily too?

o and your drag radials wont cut a 10.99 with 450whp especially if you are as nice of a driver as you are a builder.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, i'll probably start off with this turbo & move to an 60-1 rather than the 35r due to cost.

I'll be getting some MH 24.5's on Weld Magnum wheels to inprove traction once i finish off the rubber on these BFG's
Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u didint spend so much money on the block and head ur car could be making 600whp already.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running925's Build Plans, Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks (93supercoupe)

you have no idea how much i spent.. so your claim makes no sense.

I got one heck of a good deal on these parts.