Notices

Is running too cool a bad thing ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is running too cool a bad thing ?

My temp gauge doesn't come off of the bottom of the factory guage !!! I have a pusher fan on the turbo side and the factory puller fan on the other side. Both stay on all the time ( wired to the ignition ). I'm running no thermostat and a full sized radiator.

The only way I can get the Temp gauge to move is if I unplug the fans for about 7-10 minutes...

SO, is it really that bad if the temp never raises ??

And to think, I had an over heating problem 2 days ago, hehe ( warped head ).
Old 11-27-2003, 01:02 AM
FastNFurious

Default Re: Is running too cool a bad thing ? (89dxhunchback)

Ya, if it's "too cool" than it's a bad thing. I'm not sure how cool you are though. Maybe your temp gauge isn't reading right as well.

Ever start your car up and drive it hard right away? It runs like ****, your radiator fluid and engine is suppose to be hot, so put your damn thermostat back in, its suppose to be there.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Is running too cool a bad thing ? (David555)

Yea, I guess your right about the thermostat... hehe, I just took it for a few 100+ mph runs and it only creep above the bottom black line for like 15secs, then went back to "cold off the chart".

I'm pretty sure the factory guage is working propery, when I unplug the fan and let it run at idle the guage will move up, and 2 days ago I had a problem over heating b/c a warped head ( it would run fine as long as I stayed outta boost, but after a WOT run, it would peg the H meter". Changed the head and HG yesturday and now its running too cold ( I was only running the 1 pusher fan, but when the car first started over heating I slapped the factory puller type on too, but of course that wasn't the prob. ).

I'm gonna put the thermostat back in tomorrow and try to find the damn wire that triggers the factroy fan normally and find out if they throw a "+" or "-" to turn the fans on, then just use the old fan power/ground wires to trigger the relay to come on at 190 degrees ( or what ever it is ). I think running both those fans all the time could be bad for my charging system anyway...

Even did about 5 "70mph to 110ish mph" runs on the interstate and it wouldn't even move... Guess its better than over heating though...
Old 11-27-2003, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will run like ****, bad gas mileage... nothing good can come of it... you need your thermostat!
Old 11-27-2003, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Is running too cool a bad thing ? (Johnyquest)

if you run too cool, you can hurt the engine. it was engeniered to run at a specific temp. If it doesn't heat up, you can blow the head gasket, break pison skirts, or spin a bearing. All the parts inside need heat to expand to fit the way they were ment to.

If you are overheating... there are other problems you need to take care of. Removing the themistat isn't the solution.

Just my two cents
Old 11-27-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Is running too cool a bad thing ? (Dr Honda)

I knew removing the thermostat wasn't the solution to fix my over heating problem, but at the time I just took it out to see if that was the problem ( like it was stuck closed ). I meant to put it back in while I was doing the head swap, but I forgot, then it never ran hot so I never thought about it... but guess I need it...
Old 11-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your still having overheating problems go and get like a mugen or spoon thermostat, that way your car runs at a decent temperature, but is still 10-15 degrees cooler to help out. Also, you could get a fluidyne,koyo,C&R,PWR, etc. radiator which has more cores. Also, there is something called watter wetter that works good too. Theres a few options you have for overheating problems. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Is running too cool a bad thing ? (SpoolnG2)

I WAS having an over heatong problem... WAS... It was b/c the head was warped ( it iver heated pretty badly when my radiator took a dump ).