Notices

Running oil return / drain at a slight angle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running oil return / drain at a slight angle?

As seen in this post https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=615840, SiRkid was having problems with oil in his inlet (we have the same turbo). Turns out going from a -4an to -3an solved the problem.

I have a -4an line which has a right angle fitting on one end and clears the manifold when attached to the turbo. To avoid the problem SiRkid had, I was going to use my -3an which unfortunately fits like this:

If the line were to go straight in and down it doesn't fit and if it did it would be right up on the manifold with a sharp bend.

This is what my return looks like:

I didn't get the return flange yet but it's going to sit a about a 30 degree angle pointing towards the block. Is this going to be a huge problem in the long run?
Should I suck it up and try a -3an right angle adapter which (if it clears) is probably going to be about $20!?! + shipping and handling.

Cliffnotes: Is the return line going to be effective at this angle?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Running oil return / drain at a slight angle? (incogNitto)

yo dude

DON'T WORRY

u shoudl see mine and you guys will puke, it's like hardly any DOWNward angle on my return and i'm not blowing no seals, no smoke

just ponder this

go look under any of your sinks at home, and gaze at that stupd U tube thing and wonder how the water doesn't ever clog up

also, go turn on the water very very small, like a trikkle, obviously at this slow rate, it won't "PUSH" the water out of the U tube and in your theory, it would clog up the sink... do that for 10 weeks and i gurantee you it won't clog

want to know why?? got thermodynamics??? check out how manometers work... search on the web.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Stu
New User

I don't understand what thermodynamics has to do with draining oil?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually it does make a big difference. There is back pressure on the line if there is an angle. Simple physics says that there is a back pressure created by having a force in both the x and the y direction dictated by the angle of the slope. Since there is a y componet of the force acting on the oil, gravity is being used against the fluid flow. There will be a restriction by simple physics.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (Stu)

http://www.efunda.com/formulae...r.cfm

more of the area of fluid mechanics then ok?? both topics come very close together... that's how i've been taught, thermodynamics + fluid mechanics
Old 11-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (reignofchaos)

Is there enough pressure coming from the drain to force the oil thru the drain hose though? Most people would say the oil drain is gravity based. I'm not quite sure how the oil comes in under pressure and loses all of it by the time it's on the way out. Maybe there's diagrams out there of a turbo's lubrication system?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (incogNitto)

bump for morning crew
Old 11-05-2003, 05:21 AM

check your sink

it's gravitiy drain too.....

you know what, go to home depot, get a clear hose, bend it like the sink U tube thing and fill one end with water and you'll understand what i mean....

it shocks me on how so many people are not educated or in the field of science/mathematics of engineering....
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incogNitto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually it does make a big difference. There is back pressure on the line if there is an angle. Simple physics says that there is a back pressure created by having a force in both the x and the y direction dictated by the angle of the slope. Since there is a y componet of the force acting on the oil, gravity is being used against the fluid flow. There will be a restriction by simple physics.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this bullshit, this person obviously doesn' tknow anything about physics at all.... btw i'm a TA in a thermodynamics/fluid mechanics course so I actually DO KNOW what the hell is going on.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so your saying a return line with oil in it (a la sink trap example) has the same resistance to flow as a line that goes straight down?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

My oil return isn't straight down either, because of the Moroso oil pan, it's tapped really close to the drivers side edge of the pan. BTW no problems, no leaks.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m R g S r)

Well the idea is to keep it as vertical as possible, decreasing the frictional force (which is a product of the oils coefficient of friction and the normal force, which is the vertical component of the force needed to support the weight of the oil due to gravity ). Obviously, if your oil return line dips below the fitting on the pan, there has to be enough oil in the line to create the force (rho*g*h?) to drain. I honestly have no clue how much oil is flowing through the line and if it gets pressurized or not. I just assume that the oil is slowly seeping through the outlet and needs the gravity to get it to the oil pan.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Shu
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

My understanding is that the oil can be somewhat "frothy" when it leaves the turbo and won't push the oil out of the u by gravity because it's less dense.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See the actual drain hose isn't the problem. I'm sure at that angle if I poured oil down there it would make it to the bottom. The problem is exiting the turbo at high temps, especially with the engine off. When there is no pressure at all in the line, will the remaining oil stay trapped in the center of the turbo as it cools and possibly coke up in the cavities?