Notices

Running hot seems to be fixed....with a twist haha

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running hot seems to be fixed....with a twist haha

Like many others, my car runs hot. With the heater on high it would run at about 230* according to my electrical temp gauge. Nothing is wrong mechanically with the coolant system. It's just the massive amount of heat beaming off of the turbo (even with a coating).

So this weekend while on the highway it was running REALLY hot, and my upper hose was swelling big time at the first bend after coming out of the head. Eventually it burst and had to have my dad bring me another one. Soooo I put it on and changed nothing else other than using Peak distilled water instead a Walmart brand distilled water. With everything else held constant the original 230* is now like 190* So my question is why haha. A 40* difference from just a hose seems a little hard to believe.

Anyways, now I have a mechanical gauge ready to go in this weekend and I'm also going to get a full-sized radiator to fit in there instead of the 1/2 sized right now. I think I'll be good to go after that.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running hot seems to be fixed....with a twist haha (AF-P Dunc)

ha ha somethings not right. I am sure you would have noticed if the inside swelled up so I am ruling that out
Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you're getting a pressuzied coolant system.
i'd say the head could be lift and losing the hg seal
Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you're getting a pressuzied coolant system.
i'd say the head could be lift and losing the hg seal</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that could also be it, but it's not overheating because I'm beating on it or something. In fact, while I was on the dyno with the fan in the front and hood popped it would stay at like 193*. It was running hot while just daily driving even while driving like a grandma. I've also done the compression and leak down tests on it to check the HG, and everything came back fine. Plus my head studs are ARP's.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought that could also be it, but it's not overheating because I'm beating on it or something. In fact, while I was on the dyno with the fan in the front and hood popped it would stay at like 193*. It was running hot while just daily driving even while driving like a grandma. I've also done the compression and leak down tests on it to check the HG, and everything came back fine. Plus my head studs are ARP's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in my case, compression and leakdown were all in spec.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude.. you didnt know that walmart distilled water was your downfall? duhh
Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (rebo0t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rebo0t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude.. you didnt know that walmart distilled water was your downfall? duhh </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha distilled water is distilled water. It'll still get up in the hotter range when I am not driving like a complete grandma. Soooo I'm in the process of ordering a custom full-sized radiator. I'm going to make it fit haha and that should completely correct this issue. Anyways, oh well I guess...I just found it weird to find 40* from a hose haha
Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be willing to think you had air in the system before which was gotten rid of when your system boiled over. A stock Civic cooling system in good shape will have no problems keeping a turbo B-series motor cool at any temp. On all my turbo Civics they all had stock single core radiators and never had a single cooling issue with even road trips to Florida.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Running hot seems to be fixed....with a twist haha (nsxmatt)

Could the air bubble have been trapped somewhere even though I had replaced/change the fluid many times? Like could the sudden burst from the hose cause the bubble to jar loose maybe?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When your car finally reached the boiling point the whole coolant system filled with lots of air bubbles and coolant moved alot faster through the motor. Just a theroy but as long as it's running good now, say the water was it
Old 07-22-2006, 08:42 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Running hot seems to be fixed....with a twist haha (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When your car finally reached the boiling point the whole coolant system filled with lots of air bubbles and coolant moved alot faster through the motor. Just a theroy but as long as it's running good now, say the water was it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd be willing to accept that theory...basically because I can't explain it any other way haha. Well the new PWR full-sized custom made radiator should be getting ordered on Monday. I'll post back once it's in with how much it helped. Hopefully that will help others that have the running too hot issue.