Notices

Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc

I just wanted to inform everyone that is considering buying engine management that I have got my car (99 civic si) to run well with the AEM EMS after spending probably around 4 to 5 hours with it. About 4 hours worth of just reading and playing with the software and another 1 hour of either idling or driving. I have a drag III turbo kit running at 7lbs right now, along with 9:1 JEs and eagle rods. The head is stock.

I was very surprised at how easy the tuning was to set up the 550 injectors. Everything is very user friendly, its just scary to a lot of people because of all the options and parameters you can mess with, if you choose too.

I have no prior standalone experience.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (fatkid)

Please keep us informed as things go on. If I ever go standalone AEM will probably be it... in the end its cheaper then hondata for my car odbII.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:44 AM
New User

good job.........now turn up the boost.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (jinxproof99)

good job.........now turn up the boost.
We actually put the boost controller on last night. I am running really rich right now by design. I am going to turn it up to between 10-12 and add some more fuel. When I get my wibeband in, I am going to run 15 psi on the street and tune some of the excess fuel out. Whats great about the AEM is that it is similar too the Speedpro from my understanding of what I read about the Speedpro. The AEM in conjuction withe a wideband O2 allows for autotuning itself. Set the Air fuel ratio you want and it will manipulate the fuel to reach it. Thats going to be fun with 22 psi and 116 octane at the track.

Hopefully once I get it street tuned pretty well with the wideband, I will take it to the local dyno and maybe add in some timing advance back from what I took away, and of course play with the fuel while I am there.

I will be happy with 300-325 wheel horsepower on 15 psi and 93 octane and shooting for 350-375 on 22 psi and 116 octane. I will let you guys know what happens.

[Modified by fatkid, 8:11 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 11:12 AM

how did you get the software. i thought it was a dealer only item?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (CovertFI)

how did you get the software. i thought it was a dealer only item?
No, the AEM comes with the software for your laptop so that you can make changes to everything. Comes on a CD. Maybe you are thinking about the Greddy E-Manage?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AEM is
Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 AM

yeah you are right. how much did it cost you?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah you are right. how much did it cost you?
$1200

This is why I choose it over the hondata. The hondata is a great product with great support, but it is expensive for OBD II cars and it does not have nearly as many controllable things as the AEM, but for some that is good and others its not. Plus by knowing how to work the AEM for my car, I can help other cars that are not hondas, which the hondata of course is only for hondas.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One more thing I wanted to add is that I have emailed AEM 2 times about my system and their response has been to reply with an answer in less than 2 hours both times. They seem very eager to answer any questions. That is very rare in this industry.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:52 AM

Good to hear someone else is happy with the system...what version of the software/firmware are you running. I just upgraded from 3.07 -> 3.10 w/ firmware v73 and there were some significant changes...the user defined units are a pretty nice touch.

The AEM in conjuction withe a wideband O2 allows for autotuning itself. Set the Air fuel ratio you want and it will manipulate the fuel to reach it.
IIRC the autotune feature is still not "implemented"...I had been told it was supposed to be in the newest release but I haven't seen it as of yet.

Hopefully once I get it street tuned pretty well with the wideband, I will take it to the local dyno and maybe add in some timing advance back from what I took away, and of course play with the fuel while I am there.
Keep us posted. I've been reading alot of the various auto forums as of late to see people's experience with the system...for those that are looking for more info I'd suggest searching on supraforums.com. It seems one of the guys at AEM has a supra and likes to post some internal docs and tuned maps for supras.

BTW, I have dumped the maps for my prelude onto one of my servers ( http://ian.clendaniel.net/car/aemems ) and was looking at possibly making a repository where people could post maps and possibly a discussion forum...if anyone wants to contribute/comment shoot me an email.

--Ian
Old 05-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (clendaniel)

Good to hear someone else is happy with the system...what version of the software/firmware are you running. I just upgraded from 3.07 -> 3.10 w/ firmware v73 and there were some significant changes...the user defined units are a pretty nice touch.

The AEM in conjuction withe a wideband O2 allows for autotuning itself. Set the Air fuel ratio you want and it will manipulate the fuel to reach it.

IIRC the autotune feature is still not "implemented"...I had been told it was supposed to be in the newest release but I haven't seen it as of yet.

Keep us posted. I've been reading alot of the various auto forums as of late to see people's experience with the system...for those that are looking for more info I'd suggest searching on supraforums.com. It seems one of the guys at AEM has a supra and likes to post some internal docs and tuned maps for supras.

BTW, I have dumped the maps for my prelude onto one of my servers ( http://ian.clendaniel.net/car/aemems ) and was looking at possibly making a repository where people could post maps and possibly a discussion forum...if anyone wants to contribute/comment shoot me an email.

--Ian
I was hoping that the autotune feature was going to be in this next version, but I have not downloaded it yet and implemented it yet. Its not a real big deal that the auto is not working yet, it would just make it easier and take less time.

I am going to download the newest versions now on my computer here at work and then I might download them on the laptop at home later, well see. I would be interested in sharing maps and having a discussion forum.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:21 PM

Good to hear.
7psi was fun, but I'm going to need another ride or three at 15psi.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:13 PM
New User

Isn't O2 feedback is autotune? Jeremy Powell at AEM told me that O2 feedback is close loop operation. It stuck in my head for a while but then I kinda realized that if wideband O2 is in use, isn't O2 feedback will autotune the fuel map at any parameter even at WOT?
Like the AFR map, you set the A/F ratio value at any load and rpm. Base on that, isn't the fuel map will be tuned by O2 feedback? or else what does AFR map for?

[Modified by [Evo]Hybrid, 4:14 AM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc ([Evo]Hybrid)

o2feedback is an adjustment to the mixture in realtime but not really autotuning...unless I'm wrong the o2fb doesn't modify the fuel map, it simply corrects as it goes.

--Ian
Old 05-20-2002, 08:00 PM

I would be interested in sharing maps and having a discussion forum.
Heh...alright, I got a few emails and was bored so I setup a forum just for the EMS stuff. http://www.import-innovations.com/forum

--Ian
Old 05-20-2002, 08:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (clendaniel)

I see, so, O2 feedback will need to have the wideband O2 constantly plugged and be used at all time. Is it accurate and fast enough to conpensate at WOT?
Old 05-20-2002, 08:59 PM

Good to hear
Old 05-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (Prelude Vtec 23)

good to hear

what version did you get BTW ?
Old 05-21-2002, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc ([Evo]Hybrid)

I see, so, O2 feedback will need to have the wideband O2 constantly plugged and be used at all time. Is it accurate and fast enough to conpensate at WOT?
Should be...but that's why they point out that the map should be pretty close. You could also configure the unit to run in more of a "traditional" fashion and switch to open loop operation once you exceed a certain load. Once mine is tuned to my satisfaction I plan on running it like that and only using the wbo2 readout as a warning indicator on WOT.

--Ian
Old 05-21-2002, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (91CivicSi)

Good to hear.
7psi was fun, but I'm going to need another ride or three at 15psi.
Yeah, its going to be fun. Probably going to run about 12 psi this weekend.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running good on AEM EMS PNP with 3 bar map and 550cc (Flamenco-t)

I have the plug and play version its part #1010 for a 99-00 Civic SI, EX, DX.