Notices

Running an exhaust cut out

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running an exhaust cut out

I couldnt really find the answer to what im trying to figure out.. Im going to be picking this thing up, as some of you may have seen the thread earlier about

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/r...4.htm

Now my question is, does it matter where u mount an exhaust cut out?? Because i would like to put it right on the downpipe, but the thought that keeps coming to mind is that, when the cut out opens up, exhaust will flow out of it, thus , less exhaust flowing past the O2 sensor. So would be really be better to put it after the o2 sensor or before it.. i prefer before it on the downpipe but if it needs to be after it then ok. I plan on getting a chambered muffler to really quiet things down alot because my current set up is pretty loud even with a resonator. I only want it to be loud when im getting on it but its loud 24/7...and i figure if i get a chambered muffler it would be good idea to get a cut out to help free up some power that i might lose from the muffler and gain some just from it being a big help.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Running an exhaust cut out (J337_UNIT)

bump..
Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you go wot, you hit closed loop anyways. Computer does not read O2 sensors in open loop
Old 09-27-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Running an exhaust cut out (RedTT)

but whatabout when im getting my car tuned on the street, where would he mount the O2 sensor? on the downpipe?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are worried about the O2 sensor in the cat, you have acouple of options. This O2 sensor reads air going through the cat which is all it does. I have sucessfully removed my O2 sensor, put it in foil and just ziptied it to my shift linkage w/o any problems or CEL's and running test pipe on OBD2 car. I am planning to run E-Cutout after my downpipe, before my cat.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: (skt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are worried about the O2 sensor in the cat, you have acouple of options. This O2 sensor reads air going through the cat which is all it does. I have sucessfully removed my O2 sensor, put it in foil and just ziptied it to my shift linkage w/o any problems or CEL's and running test pipe on OBD2 car. I am planning to run E-Cutout after my downpipe, before my cat. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have only 1 O2 sensor because i switched to OBD1. thanks for the reply but my question really still hasnt been answered by anyone
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but whatabout when im getting my car tuned on the street, where would he mount the O2 sensor? on the downpipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Talk to Jeff Evans about this. My car was tuned with the E-cutout open on the street, and the 02 sensor was after the cutout. He didn't have a problem tuning it, because when we tuned with it closed, he said something along the lines of "when it opens, the fuel tables are actually scaled, so it moves over to the next fuel table, adding more fuel". I didn't totally understand it, but it works, so whatever. lol

Also, I had Phil from spoolin performance build my downpipe, I sent him the manifold and the E-cutout and he did a great job fabbing it. He placed the E-cutout right on the bottom of the Downpipe, so when it's open the Exhaust gases take a 90 degree turn and then dump right onto the ground.

Also, it sooooo cool being able to open and close the cutout. I have an RSR Exmag exhaust, which sounds stock so with the E-cutout closed, you can't even hear the engine. With it open, you can't even hear the passanger talking to you
Old 09-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would want to have the E-cut mounted as close to the turbo as possible to maximize the effect. If you will be redoing the exhaust work/Downpipe anyways, have the O2 bung welded before the E-cut to avoid any possible problems.

Either way, the ATP E-cut only opens when there is boost... By the time you get boost, you will be at about 75-100% throttle anyways, and the computer ignores the O2 sensor FB. It will run off the actual fuel tables, which I assume will be tuned correctly.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Running an exhaust cut out (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You would want to have the E-cut mounted as close to the turbo as possible to maximize the effect. If you will be redoing the exhaust work/Downpipe anyways, have the O2 bung welded before the E-cut to avoid any possible problems.

Either way, the ATP E-cut only opens when there is boost... By the time you get boost, you will be at about 75-100% throttle anyways, and the computer ignores the O2 sensor FB. It will run off the actual fuel tables, which I assume will be tuned correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea well i was planning on turning up the boost to .7 bar which is 10.1 psi (using tial wg spring) and getting a retune, and i figured why not put a cut out on now because it would be the perfect time..to get it tuned with it on. I would like to mount it right on the downpipe for optimal performance, we'll see i guess.