Notices

Running b16 naturally aspirated on low compression? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Running b16 naturally aspirated on low compression? HELP!

Hey all,
I'm fairly new to this so excuse my lack of knowledge. So about a year ago I decided to do my first motor swap on my 97 civic dx coupe. I bought a b16 that was "built for boost", it has 9.0:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, stock valves, skunk 2 dual valve springs, titanium retainers, edlebrock victor x intake manifold, 750cc injectors, aem fuel rail, walboro fuel pump, turbonetics external wastegate on drag 4 bolt manifold. I cheaped out and bought a ebay turbo kit (I know, Iknow, I got paid for.... anyways). I went to get it tuned which didn't end well, the tune would not save to the ecu, and the guy said I was loosing compression. SO my questions is, if I were to return the fuel pump back to stock, put some rc 270cc injectors, got a pair of headers, and obviously got it tuned, would I be able to run the motor without any issues?!

Any advice/opinions will be much appreciated, I'm just tired of looking at the car sitting in my garage.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running b16 naturally aspirated on low compression? HELP!

It sounds like your so called tuner doesn't know what the hell they are doing. Either that or your car has a lot of issues. What engine management are you using?

Yes you could run the car n/a with 9-1 compression. Is it ideal, no far from it. It will be down on power and probably not the most enjoyable thing to drive around town being that's it a no torque b16 to begin with.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the tuner goes, I think it was more my fault being new to this. I defiantly bit off more then I could chew this being my first swap and what not. Forgot to mention this; the 750cc injectors were too big and were flooding the head with fuel in my opinion. So I personally think that the piston rings are washed out with fuel/the oil in the cylinders got dissolved by the fuel which could be contributing to the compression loss. That or something is wrong with the electrical system. And the ecu is chipped, I thought it was hondata but apparently I was mistaken.

Thanks for responding, and I'm looking to make the engine more reliable for the time being, get some experience, and then try and do a turbo application.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:37 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pair of headers, eh? Have you even looked inside your own engine bay? Hint: You only have one exhaust bank, which means only one header.

That said, opinion doesn't much matter. Yours, mine, Joe's from down the street, or Susie Q's from the 90's. Your tuner claimed you had compression loss, but did he bother doing a compression test or leakdown test, or did he just ***.U.Me? That, combined with "the tune wouldn't save to the ECU" makes me think your "tuner" is a ******* idiot. Find a new one. While you're doing that, do your own compression test, and stop making assumptions without facts to back you up. Assumptions in the car world make for a quick way to throw money away.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could have just answered instead of being rude about it. It's people like you that make it discouraging to post my questions. I don't know everything there is to know about cars, I'm a teenager. Maybe suggesting to do those tests instead of being snobbish next time would be more helpful to people. I found a new tuner btw, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a mistake/waste of time to try a n/a setup. Stop being an internet hotshot, you don't need to critique every little thing, headers... header, its an honest mistake. You must be perfect, EH?

Last edited by nate-b16turbo; 05-10-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should never run your car with bigger injectors without it being tuned. If you have to drive to the tuner take the wg spring out and driver there with stock injectors and stock ecu trying to stay in vacuum as much as possible. Do what notaracist said and check your compression so you at least know if your engine is healthy.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 PM

You think that's rude?

As a teenager, you evidently haven't learned the difference between rudeness, and blunt honesty. You're making silly decisions, and a LOT of assumptions. Before you go diving headlong into a turbo car, you should do a few things. Spend more time reading and learning about what you're doing. Many of us have made many stupid mistakes, and not only have we learned from them, but we have shared our learning with the rest of the community. You can learn a lot from us, simply by learning from our mistakes. Don't use your age as an excuse. Own your car, and own the decisions you make with that car, and your car ownership (and usefulness to society, and quality of life in general) will be much better. Side note: That's not just a car ownership thing, that's a life lesson. Excuses get you nowhere.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well know I not to do so... Learned my lesson @boosted94gsr :p . Not making excuses, trying to make you aware that I don't have the knowledge you do. And I'm pretty sure I know the difference, all I'm saying is answer the question/give your thoughts, you don't have to add in all the other bull about susie q and her friends. I learned from the mistakes I have made with this build, believe me. Also, I never assumed anything, actually gave my thoughts on what I thought was wrong. It's pointless to go back and forth with you, just want you to understand where I'm coming from. Either be part of the solution, or don't bother posting.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by nate-b16turbo
Hey all,
I'm fairly new to this so excuse my lack of knowledge. So about a year ago I decided to do my first motor swap on my 97 civic dx coupe. I bought a b16 that was "built for boost", it has 9.0:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, stock valves, skunk 2 dual valve springs, titanium retainers, edlebrock victor x intake manifold, 750cc injectors, aem fuel rail, walboro fuel pump, turbonetics external wastegate on drag 4 bolt manifold. I cheaped out and bought a ebay turbo kit (I know, Iknow, I got paid for.... anyways). I went to get it tuned which didn't end well, the tune would not save to the ecu, and the guy said I was loosing compression. SO my questions is, if I were to return the fuel pump back to stock, put some rc 270cc injectors, got a pair of headers, and obviously got it tuned, would I be able to run the motor without any issues?!

Any advice/opinions will be much appreciated, I'm just tired of looking at the car sitting in my garage.

Thanks!
Ok ill give you some advise since your a noob, I believe if your running a Hondata s100 program you can run into issues with saving the tune, iv had this issue before with my local tuner, His temp fix was he left this hondata modulator plugged into my ecu so the tune was still active. I later went to church automotive who i used to have tune my setups before and had them retune it and save it properly. Doesn't mean its the tuners fault it comes down to the software used.

You need to do a compression test to see what the comp of the engine is not just take someones word so unless your tuner did a comp test than he can't literally tell you your loosing comp. Its not hard at all to do search it and shops like auto zone will rent the compression test tool for you. If your numbers are consistent than your engine is healthy comp wise if the numbers are off by more than 10% you might have loss of comp in the cylinder and will call for a rebuild. Fallow by a leak down test to further more see the health of the engine.

If your tuner is good he should easily be able to tune the setup "as" is with just a header to replace the turbo kit and you should be able to run that setup N.A, The 750 cc injectors are a bit to big for a N.A setup but doesn't mean they can't be used, your tuner should be able to use those injectors. Same with the fuel pump you can still use it. If you want to change to smaller injectors its up to you.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 05-12-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was a teenager and I spent hours on HT reading and trying learn. It's a bad excuse. Time to get rid of the ego and listen/learn people here don't like spoonfeeding a million people a day so if they do they will probably be rude. Go to the FAQ's and start reading.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the compression and leak down test's, here are the results...

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sults-3249487/
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM

Not sure why you thought you needed a second thread for the same issue, but whatever.

Your cylinder rings on cyl2 are failing. Not much more to tell you. The motor will be needing a rebuild in short order.