Notices

runnin lean and rough during idle sometimes, lean idle on the tune or fuel pump no gettin enough pow

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runnin lean and rough during idle sometimes, lean idle on the tune or fuel pump no gettin enough pow

so im having this problem, car idles nice and good air/fuel ratio when its just started and cool out but i noticed as i sit in traffic and things start to heat up, i notice idle gets real low and rough and wideband shows real lean conditions but fuel pump wines loud then quiet as if its not gettin enough power. btw im runnin a turbo gsr along with walbro 255hp fuel pump. I dont know if this might be a clue but when it idles rough sometimes at night when headlights are on, they also get very dim as if the motor isnt idling high enough to make good power, they get bright again if i blip the gas a bit. My question is that do u think my tune has the idle too lean and thats whats causing the rough and low idle or do u think that my battery and alternator arent powering the car enough during idle(slow alternator belt speed) thus making the fuel pump not pump gas as much as it usually does which is causing air fuel ratio to get lean and the idle to remain rough. I have a fairly big battery and my alternator is good. Think i should try an alternator that puts out more power or maybe a smaller battery that wont need as much alternator power output to keep it strong?

sorry if i confused you all but do u kinda get what im tryin to ask here? please help thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: runnin lean and rough during idle sometimes, lean idle on the tune or fuel pump no gettin enough

From your description it does sound alternator related. Can you hook up a volt gauge or multimeter to the car when its exhibiting these symptoms? It would be interesting to see whats really going on.

Autozone/Advance Auto can also test your alternator/battery for free too.