Notices

Run water injection w/o intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run water injection w/o intercooler?

Just a simple question.

Can you run water/meth injection safely without an intercooler on a turbocharged car. Say pushing like 7 psi on an ITR motor w/GT28rs.

Just wondering. I like the safety features of adding water/meth, but then I started thinking if it were efficient enough to run w/o an intercooler. I know supercharger guys run it with no innercooler/aftercooler, so I figure why not turbo.

Thanks guys

<----Turbo st00pid......me needs to learn me some turbo fact!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Run water injection w/o intercooler? (88 rex)

And why do you want to do that?

Try run a "water to air"cooler instead
Old 05-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Run water injection w/o intercooler? (atec)

The main problem is that FMIC's failure rate is VERY low and when they do fail, it wont cause engine failure. With water/alky injection, if it fails, so does your engine. Otherwise as far as how it works, alky/water has a higher potential.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Run water injection w/o intercooler? (atec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And why do you want to do that?

Try run a "water to air"cooler instead </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not? It's possible. I'd prefer air-air intercooler for turbo, but I think it would be neat to run no IC, and set up some kind of H20/Meth set-up. All you really need to do is keep the temps down.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H2O/methanol would give you a better safety margin. At 7 psi you would probably want to set up/tune your engine so that if the H2O/Methanol system failed, the engine could still run ok. I would guess that failure rates on better systems are very minimal.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88 rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why not? It's possible. I'd prefer air-air intercooler for turbo, but I think it would be neat to run no IC, and set up some kind of H20/Meth set-up. All you really need to do is keep the temps down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's so neat about a turbo street car with no IC?

Water/meth injection pulls heat away during the combustion process. An intercooler cools incoming air to create a denser and safer air/fuel mixture. Both serve completely different purposes with little "overlapping" of each of their functions. If you want a good running car, you'd want both IC and WI; but at such low psi, an IC is more than enough.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Run water injection w/o intercooler? (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What's so neat about a turbo street car with no IC?

Water/meth injection pulls heat away during the combustion process. An intercooler cools incoming air to create a denser and safer air/fuel mixture. Both serve completely different purposes with little "overlapping" of each of their functions. If you want a good running car, you'd want both IC and WI; but at such low psi, an IC is more than enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe "neat" isn't the right word. I think I was shooting for "different." And I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something a little different. If it's a feasable possibility, then it can be pulled off. If not then it's no big deal, that's why I'm asking the question here. I know little about WI and have searched and searched and didnt' see anyone running without an IC. I saw many SC'd cars running this set-up so I thought maybe it might be possible to do the same with the turbo.

The advantages for me would be that I wouldn't have to run the IC piping and run an IC which means I don't have to cut up my bumper. I'd rather not have to do that, and if there's another possibility out there then it might be worth the hassle. Maybe running an smaller IC with the water injection? Would that be a better route? I also wouldn't mind something a little more subtle for street driving. I'd rather not draw more attention to my car than is necessary.

This would be a distant future project, and I'm just going throught my research to find what my options are. Ideally I would like 250-300 whp and if I can do that safely without an IC then I would be ecstatic.

So, if this is possible, do you have suggestions on how this might be achieved?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88 rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe "neat" isn't the right word. I think I was shooting for "different." And I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something a little different. If it's a feasable possibility, then it can be pulled off. If not then it's no big deal, that's why I'm asking the question here. I know little about WI and have searched and searched and didnt' see anyone running without an IC. I saw many SC'd cars running this set-up so I thought maybe it might be possible to do the same with the turbo.

The advantages for me would be that I wouldn't have to run the IC piping and run an IC which means I don't have to cut up my bumper. I'd rather not have to do that, and if there's another possibility out there then it might be worth the hassle. Maybe running an smaller IC with the water injection? Would that be a better route? I also wouldn't mind something a little more subtle for street driving. I'd rather not draw more attention to my car than is necessary.

This would be a distant future project, and I'm just going throught my research to find what my options are. Ideally I would like 250-300 whp and if I can do that safely without an IC then I would be ecstatic.

So, if this is possible, do you have suggestions on how this might be achieved? </TD></TR></TABLE>

..if all your lookin for is 250-300hp and you wanna be different just supercharge it and call it a day(and you don't have to worry bout a FMIC) or just spray it with a healthy shot. this will give you that super sleeper look your lookin for
Old 05-16-2006, 04:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88 rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a simple question.

Can you run water/meth injection safely without an intercooler on a turbocharged car. Say pushing like 7 psi on an ITR motor w/GT28rs.

Just wondering. I like the safety features of adding water/meth, but then I started thinking if it were efficient enough to run w/o an intercooler. I know supercharger guys run it with no innercooler/aftercooler, so I figure why not turbo.

Thanks guys

&lt;----Turbo st00pid......me needs to learn me some turbo fact! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, you can. I know someone that put together a wrecking yard turbo setup on his old lude, and was planning on using a DSM sidemount intercooler. As it turned out, he couldn't fit the sidemount anywhere, and he just didn't want to deal with cutting his bumper to fit a front mount. He's using water injection now and is happy with the results.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Run water injection w/o intercooler? (boostfeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

..if all your lookin for is 250-300hp and you wanna be different just supercharge it and call it a day(and you don't have to worry bout a FMIC) or just spray it with a healthy shot. this will give you that super sleeper look your lookin for </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've thought about, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. At first I wanted the LHT intercooler but I wanted to keep this as cheap as possible (Yea, I know you have to pay to play.) I don't expect this to be "cheap" but there are always cheaper solutions. I suppose the JRSC with just he WI would be a good idea, but I also like the adjustability of turbos. Just turn down the boost, or run multiple fuel maps and you can still get decent milage where as with a SC that's not really possible. But you just can't beat that tourqe off the line, although that's not what I'm after.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes, you can. I know someone that put together a wrecking yard turbo setup on his old lude, and was planning on using a DSM sidemount intercooler. As it turned out, he couldn't fit the sidemount anywhere, and he just didn't want to deal with cutting his bumper to fit a front mount. He's using water injection now and is happy with the results.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have any more info on his set-up?