Notices

romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor

Old 04-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor

so i broke a pin on my xtronics ribbon cable.

so i bought a new one and swapped them out

turn key over, solid CEL, light in hondata box blinking, IACV buzzing and whining like crazy

try ANOTHER romulator, same thing, solid check, IACV buzzing

****put my old chip back in****** PERFECT! no CEL, no buzzing

so i go and download an older version of Romeditor(ver 3.6.4) and try it again, with both romulators, same crap

now im in a mess of swapped cables, and chip craziness

what are the chances of 2 romulators being bad?

anyone had this experience so far????
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (mrbsponge)

iacv is buzzing? try unplugging it and see what happens...if you get solid cel when you jump the service connector to check codes then according the honda/acura service tech maunual i got thats about 4 inches thick...says your ecu is bad...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep IACV is buzzing

have no idea why tho

WHEN I SWAP IN A CHIP WITH MY OLD TUNE, ITS PERFECT....>WTF

which leads me to believe that my romulator would be the issue, but it worked fine last week, til i broke a pin off of it.

so i ordered another cable(28 pin ribbon cable, not serial cable) swapped it on, thats when i got all the craziness

so i had a buddy fed ex me his romulator, same crap happened, buzzing IACV, solid check

i go to load a program and i get no main relay "click click, clunk clunk" sound like you normally do when you load a rom image.

very strange

my only other option is to order a new romulator, and try another ECU

the same thing happened on a friends car, he trouble shot it for weeks, i took my P72 to him and put it in his car hooke up his hondata box, and it never happened again, very weird

this is the other car it happened to
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1537124
Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

yup only choice is to start swapping out parts till you find whats bad...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what im figuring, damn this sucks!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (mrbsponge)

The idle valve sometimes buzzes for AEM users because the driver frequency is wrong but I dont suppose you have any settings for that do you?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The idle valve sometimes buzzes for AEM users because the driver frequency is wrong but I dont suppose you have any settings for that do you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think we have that funstion in hondata

i just cant figure out why a simple cable swap would do something like this, when my car romulated fine last week???
Old 04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The idle valve sometimes buzzes for AEM users because the driver frequency is wrong but I dont suppose you have any settings for that do you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the oem ecu is still whats driving iacv when using hondata...so that shouldnt be wrong
Old 04-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (2k.civic.si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k.civic.si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the oem ecu is still whats driving iacv when using hondata...so that shouldnt be wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct but when the romulator cable is plugged in, the MAP is driven by the ROM image, remember you have control of the iACV in hondata.

also it doesnt do it with a burned chip, soooo.

bump for info
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are u sure u dint put the cable in backwards
Old 04-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (nickromeo)

are you using the same cable from the laptop to the romulator? maybe that cable is worn out?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is the other car it happened to
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1537124</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Romulator was crapping out. Put my other Romulator in the car and the problem went away. I suspect the Romulator is pooped. I think you have my old pooped one and your going poop. Whole lotta poop.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My Romulator was crapping out. Put my other Romulator in the car and the problem went away. I suspect the Romulator is pooped. I think you have my old pooped one and your going poop. Whole lotta poop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah way too much poop runnin around bro!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: romulator issues????? solid CEL....IACV buzzing.......a little help por favor (nickromeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickromeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are u sure u dint put the cable in backwards</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried it both ways, get the symptoms with it installed the proper way and if its backwards i dont even get a fuel pump prime
Old 04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Too much power from your setup.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE

i wanted to try some different components, so i swapped in a hondata ready p75(yes i know its non vtec and i have a vtec motor, but it wont matter)

plugged everything in, key'd over CEL WENT OUT! loaded a ROM, sounded normal!

so i guess i do look like a BIG ***** cause it was my ecu!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so it sounds like it was the ecu...just remember if that other ecu you tryed has debug mode enabled it wont throw any cel's or go into limp mode when there is a problem...just a fyi
Old 04-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">UPDATE

i wanted to try some different components, so i swapped in a hondata ready p75(yes i know its non vtec and i have a vtec motor, but it wont matter)

plugged everything in, key'd over CEL WENT OUT! loaded a ROM, sounded normal!

so i guess i do look like a BIG ***** cause it was my ecu!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now here is the kicker. It worked fine before. Now it doesn't work. Also, if you put it in another car, I bet it will work.

That is the same thing that happened to my car. It worked fine in my car, then didn't. Then swaped ecu with you and it worked fine in your car. Now it doesn't. I bet in someone else's car, it will work.

Not to mention it works fine with a chip. Wack!@
Old 04-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i broke a pin on my xtronics ribbon cable.

so i bought a new one and swapped them out

turn key over, solid CEL, light in hondata box blinking, IACV buzzing and whining like crazy

try ANOTHER romulator, same thing, solid check, IACV buzzing

****put my old chip back in****** PERFECT! no CEL, no buzzing

so i go and download an older version of Romeditor(ver 3.6.4) and try it again, with both romulators, same crap

now im in a mess of swapped cables, and chip craziness

what are the chances of 2 romulators being bad?

anyone had this experience so far????</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you running an injector driver or a resistor box? remember the iacv has common power with the injectors at that blank plug on the driver side engine bay...

and I believe the other wire goes to the ecu... so maybe when you moved the ecu around messing with the romulator a wire way have gotten skinned or a pin pulled out of the ecu...or both romulatotors are teh gheyness
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

correct but when the romulator cable is plugged in, the MAP is driven by the ROM image, remember you have control of the iACV in hondata.

also it doesnt do it with a burned chip, soooo.

bump for info</TD></TR></TABLE>

the driver frequency is determined by the driver circuit physically soldered into the board...there is no way to change the frequency on a oem ecu...when you change the duty cycle with an external program (hondata, crome, etc...) it just changes how often it turns that circuit on and off but still runs at the same frequency...the ecu isnt smart enough to do anything beyond turning circuits on and off for set periods of time

actually im not totally right...you could either change the frequency divider by making physical changes at the component level...or by changing the crystal it multiplies its frequency from...but again cant be done in software =P

if i knew what it multiplied the crystal frequency by i could tell you exactly how many mhz it runs at =P

and no there is no phase lock loop chip in there for it to specifically control what frequency its at...

Modified by 2k.civic.si at 6:41 AM 4/16/2006