Notices

To Rich = to much smoke...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Rich = to much smoke...?

Well after being boosted for around a month now, I am really happy with the turbo kit that could. I pieced together a mitsu tdo5 intercooled on the hack (untuned). It runs great, no complaints, except for the smoking... I just realized it was smoking after I upgraded my exhaust to 2.5". I don't currently have a cat/resonator or muffler. Trying to find something quiet and free flowing...anyway, Since I have had this exhaust, I have noticed alot of smoking. I am assuming its b/c the cat isn't burning up the excess gasses. Regardless its annyoing. It barely smokes when I am cruising, but as soon as I let off, it puffs white smoke. Almost instantly. Or when I am WOT and let off, it smokes. I come to a stop and if I am there for more than 30 seconds it starts to smoke. When it smokes it billows. I don't understand what could be causing it. I checked my levels, oil and coolant and they don't seem to move. I just changed my oil and no traces of coolant. So I am leaning to the seals in the turbo or running extremly rich? Anyone have any advice. I would greatly apprecaite.

Thanks all...

Old 04-25-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (ExVtec)

cracked ringlands
Old 04-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like cracked ringlands. But it COULD be a blown oil seal on the turbo also.

To verify internal motor damage, let the motor run at idle and see if any smoke comes out of the breather hole from the valve cover with the breather filter removed. Also, do a compression test and/or cyl leakdown test.

If you don't get any smoke from the breather hole in the VC and yeild good comp tests or 0-15% on the cyl leakdown test I'm betting its the turbo thats toasted.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (MaxSterling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaxSterling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cracked ringlands</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets say thats the case...what am I looking @? Is the car ok to drive until I am able to get it repaired?? For a few months...?
Old 04-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have cracked ringlands they will only get worse over time... and if you keep running your motor you run the risk of scarring your cylinder walls depending on the severity of the break. Basically if your ringlands are gone, you'll need new pistons, all new OEM gaskets, OEM bearings, etc, machine work (cyl walls honed), etc. Whenever your car bellows out smoke, it is not ok to drive whatsoever.

Do the diagnosis that I told you earlier and get back to us.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (PrecisionH23a)

Will do....
Old 04-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, here is what I got. I pulled off my valve cover filter breather. No smoke whatsoever came out of the hole. I even had a friend rev it a few times, nothing. So then I pulled the spark plugs and did a compression check. All cylinders were 210psi across the board. I pulled my fuel pump fuse under the hood, and had a friend step on the clutch and throttle and crank the engine 6-8 times. The gauge rose to 210 and stayed there. So where does that leave me now??
Old 04-25-2004, 06:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have cracked ringlands they will only get worse over time... and if you keep running your motor you run the risk of scarring your cylinder walls depending on the severity of the break. Basically if your ringlands are gone, you'll need new pistons, all new OEM gaskets, OEM bearings, etc, machine work (cyl walls honed), etc.

Do the diagnosis that I told you earlier and get back to us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I'm leaning towards....
You don't want to run on a hurt motor for very long if at all.
White smoke usually = coolant being burned blue smoke = oil and black = fuel.
I would check your leakdown %'s and get back to us.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression tests can be misleading, can you do a cylinder leakdown?

I am putting money down that the oil seal on the turbo has gone bad. Have you checked your radiator for oil?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what I'm leaning towards....
You don't want to run on a hurt motor for very long if at all.
White smoke usually = coolant being burned blue smoke = oil and black = fuel.
I would check your leak down %'s and get back to us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im with this guy. he said white smoke but everything you guys are talking about would lead to blue smoke, wouldn't it? check your oil and see if you have coolant mixed with it and check your coolant and see if you have oil mixed in it. i was thinking blown headgasket but if that was the case i believe you would have bad comp. numbers. do you have coolant loss? do a leak down test and let us know what the results are so we can help you more.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to stop @ a friends shop after work and see if he can do a leakdown test for me. I will post the numbers up asap. I am not sure exactly how I can test the radiator for oil? I filled my overflow mostly with water the other day..when a hose blew off my turbo and leaked coolant everywhere. The water doesn't seem dark, as if it were mixed with oil? The turbo did have minor shaft play before I installed it. I am just confused b/c it didn't smoke @ all until after I put my exhaust on. I am just assuming that the cat was burning up the extra fumes...whatever they were. It eventually clogged up, which lead me to go ahead with the 2.5". Any mroe ideas.....I could use em...
Old 04-25-2004, 07:27 PM

if you drain all your coolant you will see some seperated areas of oil, coolant and oil dont completly mix. It could be ring lands, turbo oil seal or coolant seal, or when that coolant hose of your poped off it could have gotten coolant in the intake and is still burning off. Have you looked in the compressor housing to see if alot of oil is in their?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (Sideout)

I don't think any coolant entered my intake. It would have been gone already, if it even got in there. I haven't looked inside the compressor housing yet. If there is oil on the compressor side...engine rings? Exhaust side, turbo seals? I will check that out....
Old 04-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im an all motor guy, but after thinking about what you said, i have a question. ....isnt your turbo oil cooled.....why would coolant come out of a hose hooked to your turbo?...... mabey thats not what you meant.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: To Rich = to much smoke...? (cxcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im an all motor guy, but after thinking about what you said, i have a question. ....isnt your turbo oil cooled.....why would coolant come out of a hose hooked to your turbo?...... mabey thats not what you meant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some turbo's are oil and water (coolant) cooled. that would explain why you would have water coming out of a hose hooked to your turbo.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, learn something new everyday
Old 04-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some turbo's are oil and water (coolant) cooled. that would explain why you would have water coming out of a hose hooked to your turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, many mitsu turbo's are not only oil cooled but water cooled also. Just a little added bit of protection I guess....
Old 04-26-2004, 09:16 AM

Just to throw a comment in here: Oil does not always burn blue, especially full synthetic oil. I'm just guessing here, but maybe most of the oil burning you guys are used to takes place inside the cylinders which might yeild a blueish smoke. When I blew my turbo my car was BELLOWING white smoke. It was just pouring oil into my DP. Motor was 100% perfect. So maybe when you are burning large amounts of oil from your exhaust heat, it burns different. Who knows...

I'd say your turbo went south.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pollito)

I am going to try and pull the compressor side off, and look at the exhaust side to see if I notice any oil. I am running Napa brand 10w30 oil. Any more ideas, please keep em coming....I apprecaite it!!