Notices

Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness

Now, let me start by saying I'm not a "Honda Guy". But here goes anyway; I recently installed a Stage 2 rev hard turbo kit on a customers '91 Integra RS with a JDM B18A. The install was fairly straight forward and I drove the car for a day and it seemed to have no problems. Performance wasn't quite what I expected but it was considerably more entertaining than it was. Anyway, I took it over to my friend's shop and ran it on his Dynojet dyno. Here's where the weirdness starts. Through the day of running the car it never stumbled missed or hic-upped once. Now on the dyno in 4th gear the car would run a little rich at idle but ran decently up until it started to build boost, at which point the A/F ratio plummets to less than 9:1. So I figured I had a bad FMU (10:1) and replaced it with another one we had. Exact same problem! So I went and added an adjustable FPR that clamps over the factory one and turned the fuel pressure down at idle thinking it would help. It did, but it still stumbled and missed and wouldn't rev. The A/F ratio was still plumitting as soon as the boost came up. So, at this point I was getting ticked and just cranked up the adjustable FPR a little bit and disconnectesd the FMU boost line. This should have made the car run insanely lean as soon as it built any boost, and it did lean out to about 14:1 at 4000rpm but then STARTS TO FALL BACK DOWN AND LEVELS OUT AT ABOUT 12.5:1 all the way to redline!!!!! WTF!!!!!! So with nothing for fuel enrichment this car is running perfect under boost????? This makes no sense. I've asked everyone I thought might know including our Rev-hard distributor as well as Rev-hard tech support and no one has any idea why this car is behaving the way it is. I'm at my witts end as well so any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Krazy Karl
Old 10-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness (Hondumb)

do you have the high pressure inline pump hooked up?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness (2.2Lcivic)

Yes, it's the Bosch (I think) in-line pump that came with the rev-hard kit plumbed in as per the rev-hard instructions.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:45 PM

Bump.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:15 PM

Have you had your wideband checked to make sure it is accurate. They can lose there accuracy. Did you hear any detonation of any sort? Does the car have a boost guage to see if it is going under full boost? Man that is about the wierdest thing I have ever heard of? Good luck
Old 10-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness (Double121)

what sparkplugs are you running and what is your timing set @ ???
Old 10-04-2003, 03:17 PM

what injectors where you running and maybe a bad injector due to high FP with the fmu

and thus the injector staying or suck more or less open

it is just an idea
Old 10-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bottlefedb18c1)

Is he running stock injectors?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Re: (TurboTegB18c)

The car is making a consistent 7psi. The injectors are stock and I've considered the idea that there may be a bad injector but it almost seems like there would have to be more than one that's gone bad because of the way the A/F ratio plummets. Best we can figure, when the car starts missing the A/F is sitting at 4:1 ish. Overfueling like crazy! (wideband can only see down to 9:1)

The wide-band was calibrated earlier in the week according to my buddy who owns the shop with the dyno so I doubt it's out.

There were no indications of detonation or knock. The timing is sitting at about 12? degrees advance I beleive. Basically 2 degrees back from stock as recommended by rev-hard.

And the plugs are the rev-hard recommended 9 heat range NGKs. Can't remember the complete part # at the moment but will double check at work.

I appreciate all the help with this situation. I've been playing with boost for a while and I've never seen a car run a decent A/F with no fuel management of any kind. Weirder and weirder!

Krazy Karl

Old 10-05-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Re: (Hondumb)

One other thing; the car was basically stock when it came to us. There were supposedly a set of mild crane cams in it and a skunk2 intake manifold. When we set the valves (Cuz the car ran pretty crappy) we looked at the cams and they looked stock but the intake manifold is definately skunk2. But anyway, the car made 98whp and 101ft-lbs on the dyno before the turbo kit. Seemed very low to me for an engine that has 200 compression accross the board. Now, with the turbo kit and no FMU hooked up so that it actually runs to redline it makes 168hp and 152ft-lbs. Do these numbers seem right? I was expecting to see closer to 180hp and 160ft-lbs.

Piston engines are weird! I'm sticking with my RX-3

Krazy Karl
Old 10-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, a 9 heat plug is wayyyy to cold for what ur doing. Try running a 7 heat range plug. I'm putting out over 400whp and only running the 7 heat range plug.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:59 PM

I might be wrong but I think if you disconnect the vacuum line from the fmu and leave the fmu in place it will raise the fuel pressure considerably. I did it in my car once and it raised the fuel pressure to over 70psi at idle
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (p0gi)

them nuber look very low and with the b18a3 i beilve you can run some decent boost on it with good tunning and larger injectors

check into the injectors seems like that may be the problem becouse with stock injects you should be running a 12:1 fmu if i am not misstaken not the 10:1 disk
Old 10-07-2003, 09:18 AM

Oooops! I uber screwed up! The plugs that I'm running and that are recommended by rev-hard are BCPR7ES. I'm almost convinced it's an injector leak problem. Anyone know what the factory injectors are rated at for a B18A in either lbs/hr. or CCs? I'd like to find some cheap replacements with a similar flow to stock since the customer doesn't want to buy an AFC or other fuel "add-on". So I'd like to find some similar injectors that may be slightly bigger that I can dial out with the rail fuel pressure regulator. Any comments, ideas, suggestions?

Karl
Old 10-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you replace your o2 sensor? reset your ecu? have the injectors blanced and cleaned???

integra injectors are 240 cc (ithink)
Old 10-07-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (ambition)

all honda injectors are 240cc but i believe a 99 h22 vtec has 270's but i am unsure
Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b20turboic)

Ive also heard that JDM obd1 h22s use 345cc injectors...this right?
I was going to say, check your injectors to make sure they arent sticking open...this has happened to me before on a set of DSM injectors, and boy did that **** things up
Old 10-08-2003, 10:25 AM

The o2 sensor was replaced with a bosch unit from Parts Source. I thought about this too but the car is running to rich for the o2 sensor to be the suspect. I gor some accell replacement injectors coming today so we'll see if that does it. Thanks for all the ideas guys. BTW, on the B18A the MAP sensor can't read boost right?

Krazy Karl
Old 10-08-2003, 10:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondumb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The o2 sensor was replaced with a bosch unit from Parts Source. I thought about this too but the car is running to rich for the o2 sensor to be the suspect. I gor some accell replacement injectors coming today so we'll see if that does it. Thanks for all the ideas guys. BTW, on the B18A the MAP sensor can't read boost right?

Krazy Karl </TD></TR></TABLE>

stock honda ecu and there map with see boost unless you are using a piggy back to what i know of

and keep us posted with the new injectors and how they come out
Old 10-10-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (bottlefedb18c1)

Well, tried the injectors and the original situation hasn't changed at all! Same symptoms as before. So again we disconnected the FMU, bumped up the base pressure on the Adjustable FRR on the rail, and ran another dyno pull. The car ran beautifully, a little fat on the very bottom end, it starts to lean out at about 4000rpm as the turbo starts to spool, to a peak of about 13.5 : 1 and then falls off to and settles at 12:1 to redline. This is with no FMU and no method of enrichment other than the adjustable FPR!!!!!! WTF!

Please Guys, I've been fighting with this car for 2 weeks! Any ideas???

Krazy Karl
Old 10-10-2003, 09:27 AM

Bump
Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM

Bump!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Ordered 6:1 and 8:1 FMU rings today. We'll see if that works. I'm running out of ideas!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:51 AM

are check valves or a missing being used? installed?

any CEL codes?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (safe driver)

I'm using check valves and I have no CEL! This is the weirdest car I've ever worked on. Somebody tell me something! Please!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rev-hard Turbo Weirdness