Notices

Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart

okay, my car has been boggin like crazy for awhile now. i had it dyno'd a few months ago when it started doing this and i was running WAY lean. at first we thought it was something fuel related...maybe plugged fuel filter, or bad injectors. so i turned my fuel pressure up to 55psi from my original 42psi to make up for the lean condition...although i was still running a a/f ratio of 13+ so i left and during the last few months have been trying to trouble shoot the problem. i sent in my injectors for cleaning (RC 550's), got a new fuel pump(walbro 255lph), new fuel filter, and bought a new O2 sensor. it ran fine for about a day and then started up again. i unplugged my a/f gauge thinking it was robbing too much voltage from the O2 to the ecu. nothing. i unplugged the O2 hopeing to run rich...no CEL!!

so yesterday i finally dropped off my car again at the shop and told them that i've tried everything and left it there. today when i went back to get it...they told me that the O2 sensor on the ecu had been turned off!! OMFG i thought, so the ecu was running the same fuel map the whole time and was unable to even detect when to add more or less fuel. so the fuel was turned down and the car runs like a champ now. i gained a bit more hp as well as torque just from this and a little timing change. i am now a happy camper!! oh, forgot to mention, i'm running a hondata 3B before i had been making 276.9whp and 252.2wtq. this is still on the same crappy setup with 92 octane fuel, a BENT 2.5"dp, 2.25" race cat, and 2.25" exhaust. i'm sure with a better dp, test pipe, and 2.5 or 3" exhaust i would be well in the 300whp range. but maybe next year...right now i have to empty my pockets on christmas presents
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (shermanyang)

how much boost?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (DC2 Nerd)

about 16.5 psi on stock sleeves, low compression pistons
Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice numbers man On stock sleeves too. Glad to hear the problem is solved..

What compression are you running?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (5thgencivic)

Nice #'s
Old 11-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (5thgencivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice numbers man On stock sleeves too. Glad to hear the problem is solved..

What compression are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks! well on the ROSS website the claimed that these were 9.5:1, but after doing some calculations, it seemed that they're actually around 8.6:1 - 8.8:1. If I remember correctly i think it was boostfed that helped me out with the calculations.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:50 PM
New User

What actually happend is since he left it in open loop the ecu disregard the o2 and runs of the eprom only. so basically the car ran as good as the tune when the wideband was used. youll prolly much better gas mileage now too.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (simple4012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simple4012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What actually happend is since he left it in open loop the ecu disregard the o2 and runs of the eprom only. so basically the car ran as good as the tune when the wideband was used. youll prolly much better gas mileage now too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ what simple4012 said. and yes, i'm hopeing to get better gas mileage as well
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so yesterday i finally dropped off my car again at the shop and told them that i've tried everything and left it there. today when i went back to get it...they told me that the O2 sensor on the ecu had been turned off!! OMFG i thought, so the ecu was running the same fuel map the whole time and was unable to even detect when to add more or less fuel. so the fuel was turned down and the car runs like a champ now. i gained a bit more hp as well as torque just from this and a little timing change. i am now a happy camper!! oh, forgot to mention, i'm running a hondata 3B [</TD></TR></TABLE>

what was done to turn it back on?
Old 11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (rpm9100)

There's an option in ROM Editor where you simplify pick between Open Loop and Closed Loop. Dyno runs are usually done in Open Loop to keep the ECU's long term fuel trim from affecting the fuel mapping.

Sonny
Old 11-20-2003, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There's an option in ROM Editor where you simplify pick between Open Loop and Closed Loop. Dyno runs are usually done in Open Loop to keep the ECU's long term fuel trim from affecting the fuel mapping.

Sonny
</TD></TR></TABLE>

can it be done without stage 4?
Old 11-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rpm9100 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can it be done without stage 4?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No...if you have a stage 2/3 system, you are essentially relying on a tuner to set your maps up. The tuner should switch the ECU back into closed loop operation once tuning of your car is done. It's a step that is commonly forgotten.

It's very easy to spot by watching your a/f gauge. When you're idling or cruising at part throttle, you should see the a/f sweeping back and forth. When the car is in open loop, the a/f will not fluctuate like that.

Sonny
Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 AM

very nice sherman, i bet you can feel that 15hp difference from last time, glad to see it wasnt anything serious, my car goes in the shop tuesday i cant wait!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (gstintegra92)

more info on setup plz
Old 11-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No...if you have a stage 2/3 system, you are essentially relying on a tuner to set your maps up. The tuner should switch the ECU back into closed loop operation once tuning of your car is done. It's a step that is commonly forgotten.

It's very easy to spot by watching your a/f gauge. When you're idling or cruising at part throttle, you should see the a/f sweeping back and forth. When the car is in open loop, the a/f will not fluctuate like that.

Sonny
</TD></TR></TABLE>

my air fuel guage stays on full rich and never moves...

what is the ill effect of running open loop?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (gstintegra92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gstintegra92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice sherman, i bet you can feel that 15hp difference from last time, glad to see it wasnt anything serious, my car goes in the shop tuesday i cant wait!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks....i wish i had more $$ to spend on making more power but at the moment, with christmas coming around i have to sacrafic a little for the holidays. i can't wait to see your dyno chart!! god only knows you'll be making a goob load of power!!

but in the mean time while i wait to get more power out of my current setup...in my basement is another LS longblock waiting for sleeves, pistons, rods...etc.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rpm9100 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my air fuel guage stays on full rich and never moves...

what is the ill effect of running open loop?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's exactly what mine did...and every now and then when coming to a stop it would go to lean...and back to rich...i wouldn't fluncuate like it should when running a regular ecu.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retuned bogging hondata...new info and new dyno chart (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more info on setup plz</TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine: Ross 8.8:1 pistons? 81.5mm, Eagle rods, ARP bolts all around, ACL bearings, ghetto PnP head(done with a dremel and with my buddy's JG head as reference ).

Turbo Setup: Turbonetics T3/TO4E .63/.60 57 trim, 41x10x2.5 FMIC, 2.25" intercooler piping, Type-S BOV, Tial 38mm WG, MPRacing Equal length manifold, BENT UP 2.5" DP, 2.25" race cat, 2.25" exhaust, RC 550 PnH injectors, 3Bar map, Hondata 3B, blitz EBC, and various gauges.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's exactly what mine did...and every now and then when coming to a stop it would go to lean...and back to rich...i wouldn't fluncuate like it should when running a regular ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so now it is running in closed loop? does the a/f guage now fluctuate like it should?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so now it is running in closed loop? does the a/f guage now fluctuate like it should?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it's running closed loop now. it runs a lot better, but for some reason i run rich sometimes. maybe i should turn my fuel pressure down? but i haven't hooked my a/f guage back up yet. i'll do it tomorrow and let you know. just IM me tomorrow around noon.