Notices

Resistor box w/ stock injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor box w/ stock injectors?

Before I do this, I just want to make sure it's okay to run a resistor box with stock injectors. I'm 99% sure you can do it, but I thought I'd check here first. I'm gonna be pissed if I waste my time soldering it in just to find out that my injectors won't fire.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (Enzo Speed)

Just make sure they are low resistance stock injectors.Honda stock injectors come in both resistances.The low resistance injectors are the only ones that require the resistor box.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (NJIN BUILDR)

These are the stockers from an OBD-II motor. They are not peak/hold.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 AM

I think the stockers operate at 12-14 ohms?

At any rate, the pulse coming from the resistor box is about 2-3 ohms I think.

Modified by Enzo Speed at 10:29 PM 8/19/2006
Old 08-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enzo Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These are the stockers from an OBD-II motor. They are not peak/hold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ODBII injectors are saturated injectors.

Peak and Hold injectors need the resistor box. Saturated do not.

Why do you think you need the box?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 AM

Just to clarify, here's the question again:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enzo Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just want to make sure it's okay to run a resistor box with stock injectors</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always hear about people doing it, but I don't know if there are any ill effects on the injectors. I imagine the lower currect weakens the solenoid strength, but by how much? Is it enough to keep the injectors from opening at high rail pressures?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason people run resistor boxes is because they are running peak and hold injectors and they HAVE to in order for the injectors to function properly.

Saturated injectors do not require a resistor box to function properly so you don't need it. Nobody runs a resistor box with saturated injectors.

To answer your question. No, it's not ok.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (Buzzbomb)

Anyone? I know some of you guys have done it before
Old 08-18-2006, 07:03 AM

fawk are you blind? read the post above yours
Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 AM

Its a bad idea. You are changing the load that the injector driver has and risk burning out your ECU.

Please do not do this the Impedence will be wrong.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Danny_EJ)

so why do you want to do this again?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

DONT DO IT! unless u change to peak/hold injectors.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (95dc2teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Danny_EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its a bad idea. You are changing the load that the injector driver has and risk burning out your ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It won't hurt the ECU. Running peak/hold injectors without a resistor box fries the IC transistor inside the ECU. But running saturated injectors with a resistor box is the opposite situation. Having too much resistance won't affect the ECU, but it limits current going to the injectors. I want to see if anyone knows whether or not it will hurt the injector over time or shorten its life.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so why do you want to do this again? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same reason I do everything - I'm lazy. Having to install/remove the box all the time really chaps my ***.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dc2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DONT DO IT! unless u change to peak/hold injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't help me. We could spend all day making speculations about whether its a good/bad idea, but it all means nothing if there are no facts to back it up.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Enzo Speed)

Why are you taking the box in and out all the time? Why won't you listen to anybody? You're making my head hurt!

I think you're spending too much time wondering about if it will damage the injectors over time and not paying attention to the effect the box will have on the function of the injectors.

Your injectors are going to do 1 of 2 things. Either A: They will not even fire, or B: They will fire such a small amount of fuel the car will barely run, if at all.

The injector needs the full voltage to open and close all they way. What's going to drive the injectors? How are you going to compensate for the lack of fuel being injected?

But I really don't think any amount of explantion is good enough for you. You just need to hook the box up to your saturaded injectors and see for yourself. Be sure to report back and tell us how the car ran.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Buzzbomb)

i have run 750 saturated thru a resister box no changes in the a/f at all that the anwser he was looking for
Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: (vaporboy12)

i would actually liek a quck and easy answer to this. i have to go for emissions soon, and i would back to rever back to stock which means take out the resistor box. but i have to desolder like a whole bunch of connections. if i wont have to, that would rock
Old 08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (playahwitgame)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enzo Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That doesn't help me. We could spend all day making speculations about whether its a good/bad idea, but it all means nothing if there are no facts to back it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well it sounds like you have your mind made up and dont want to listen to anyone here after you asked the question so go ahead and do it how you want and let us know how it turns out.

Modified by BoostedEG6 at 7:55 PM 8/18/2006
Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enzo Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before I do this, I just want to make sure it's okay to run a resistor box with stock injectors. I'm 99% sure you can do it, but I thought I'd check here first. I'm gonna be pissed if I waste my time soldering it in just to find out that my injectors won't fire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To answer you question, you can run a resistor box with saturated injectors. For example, an 88-91 Civic runs a resistor box with its peak and hold injectors. You can replace them with saturated or peak and hold injectors without any problems.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (ben@importparts.com)

Alright, thanks guys. I'm going for it

I'll update the thread if anything goes wrong (injector failure, A/F change, etc.).
Old 08-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (ben@importparts.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ben@importparts.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To answer you question, you can run a resistor box with saturated injectors. For example, an 88-91 Civic runs a resistor box with its peak and hold injectors. You can replace them with saturated or peak and hold injectors without any problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, you're a ******* idiot.

Do not run saturated injectors with a resistor box. The injectors may fire, but I promise your ECU and injectors won't be happy about it. The resistors limit amperage to P&H injectors. Would you limit amperage to your TV? How about your computer? Why would you limit amperage to your injectors?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (nowtype)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nowtype &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, you're a ******* idiot.

Do not run saturated injectors with a resistor box. The injectors may fire, but I promise your ECU and injectors won't be happy about it. The resistors limit amperage to P&H injectors. Would you limit amperage to your TV? How about your computer? Why would you limit amperage to your injectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've already established that it won't affect the ECU, and by the sounds of the last few comments, I don't think it will adversely affect the injectors either.

Unless you have some new information to bring to the table, I don't see the point in posting.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't need to bring new information to the table. The information is years old. Its common knowledge that if an electronic device wants X amps, it doesn't exactly work correctly when you give it less current. Why you think that that concept would be different for injectors confuses me. Is it really that difficult to cut and put some wire nuts on 4 wires so that you can return the wiring to stock?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enzo Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've already established that it won't affect the ECU, and by the sounds of the last few comments, I don't think it will adversely affect the injectors either.

Unless you have some new information to bring to the table, I don't see the point in posting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just do it!! Let us know what is the outcome. I have an extra ECU for sale if you need one in the future
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (nowtype)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by playahwitgame &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would actually liek a quck and easy answer to this. i have to go for emissions soon, and i would back to rever back to stock which means take out the resistor box. but i have to desolder like a whole bunch of connections. if i wont have to, that would rock</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think the answer your looking for is sure you can run a resistor box with saturated injectors but is it the right answer NO but as we can see your mind is made up and you dont care what everyone is telling you so im not even gonna try
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resistor box w/ stock injectors? (pittbullracer)

also i have peak and holds 310's for sale as well as saturated obdII injectors for when you need them
gl

Quick Reply: Resistor box w/ stock injectors?