Notices

Replacing a T3/T4 ebay turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a T3/T4 ebay turbo

Hello guys, I'm fairly new to turbochargers and if this has been asked before I apologize, but I've done a week's worth of research and I can keep this short.

I've bought a B18B1 equipped 94 del sol, and the turbo kit seems to be quality brand and manufacture, but the original turbo was replaced with a cheap one that's starting to go.

To replace the cheap ebay turbo, do I just need to look for a T3/T4 turbo made by a reputable company, and I can be confident it will bolt up? Or are there more specifics I need to look at to ensure that it will bolt up properly and run with my system? The current turbo is set to 6psi, and I'm looking at something similar with the new one.

Thanks for your help, and I apologize if I've missed something. I've read the faqs and tried to research as much as I can, but there's a point where I need to verify what I think I know against someone who DOES know.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing a T3/T4 ebay turbo

You can buy a rebuild kit. Do you know what size the turbine is? T3/T4 is a pretty vague answer. Also, 6psi on one turbo could be 15 psi on another. More information about your current setup would help us out
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No rebuild kit, it's a cheap turbo, like I said.

T3/T4, according to everything I've read, IS the size, is it not? A T3 turbine with a T4 compressor?

Isn't that the size of the turbine?

I have an external wastegate that's set to 6 pounds, so it's going to be set to 6 regardless.

If you need more information on setup, you're going to have to tell me what. That's why I'm here, I don't know exactly what I need to know to replace this thing. I was told that knowing it was a T3/T4 was enough, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doing some more measurements and research, I've gotten results that look like about 3.05" for the compressor inlet and 1.88 for the outlet, which seems to point to a T04E, I think.

Would the trim matter, for replacing it? I don't think it would, I'm just making sure I know what I need to know to buy another turbine/compressor for this car.

Thanks for everyone's help, sorry if this is simple to you and seems dumb, but I haven't had the benefit of years of experience.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that's an e cover t3/t4 but there are many different trim compressor wheels. What kit is the original system. Generally those eBay china pos turbos are 50 trim to4e. Sticking to that should ball park it but wihout a wideband on the car I wouldn't boot it without a retune
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that's an e cover t3/t4 but there are many different trim compressor wheels. What kit is the original system. Generally those eBay china pos turbos are 50 trim to4e. Sticking to that should ball park it but wihout a wideband on the car I wouldn't boot it without a retune
Hmm, that's helpful. The kit itself, I'm not sure what brand it is, the valves seem to be well made, intercooler a little small compared to some I've seen, but I'm not running a lot of boost. Overall, my sense of the kit is that I may look at replacing the valves down the road, but I feel it will probably run well at the levels of boost I'm looking at, especially for the near future.

I suppose I'll start looking for a turbonetics T04E in that realm of trim, thanks for the advice.

Last questions I'd have, I'm pretty sure you can rotate the compressor against the turbine to line it up with your intercooler piping, right? And would the compressor A/R be important for fitting, or just the inlet and outlet?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tilon; 10-17-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added a question
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For a week's worth of research, you sure didn't find much info...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShanghaiOC
For a week's worth of research, you sure didn't find much info...
An insult coming from the dude who replied to my first post without even reading it? The same dude who told me to rebuild an ebay turbo?

Do yourself a favor and leave this thread. I don't need a jerk like you taking a dump in it.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tilon
An insult coming from the dude who replied to my first post without even reading it? The same dude who told me to rebuild an ebay turbo?

Do yourself a favor and leave this thread. I don't need a jerk like you taking a dump in it.

Ignorant much? Ebay gear works fine. A few cars are deep in the 10s on eBay turbos. If you want to cry, learn to research before asking retarded questions. Oh wait, is it tough to read the .50 or .63 on your TURBO or do you like being spoonfed?

Noobs these days. Hide behind your computer all day
Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cheap turbo on this car doesn't even have markings, champ.

And by sitting there, telling me to run an ebay turbo on massive boost, you prove your ignorance.

Just stop talking. It's obvious you have a hatred for humanity, and are just looking for someone to hate on.

You're not bothering me. It just makes you look like a *****.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd take off the housings and use some calipers to measure the inducer/exducer of the turbo, but I still think it would be pertinent to get a retune or atleast check your AFR's after you swap out the turbo. Most T3/T04E's should use a common oil feed/drain flange setup so you should be okay there, but the exhaust outlet is where you should pay some attention. Some turbos run a 5-bolt flange, some use a 4-bolt flange with varying sizes. Although 99% of the ebay turbos I've seen use a standard garrett 5-bolt flange, you should double check that the flange is the same on the new turbo before you order it, so that you don't have to remake your downpipe.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cheap turbo on this car doesn't even have markings, champ.

And by sitting there, telling me to run an ebay turbo on massive boost, you prove your ignorance.

Just stop talking. It's obvious you have a hatred for humanity, and are just looking for someone to hate on.

You're not bothering me. It just makes you look like a *****.
You just joined today & all ready have a chip on the shoulder? Go flip some more burgers & save up a few duckets. Once you pull your head out of your ***, come talk. Until then, go back researching for a week. It looks like you've done a great job with that. You do know what a compressor map is, right? Ignorance is bliss and yet you're retarded. Stay hidden behind your comp, kid.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes Losen the bolts holding the turbine housing and the compressor housing and rotate as needed. Just be sure the center section is positions so the oil drain is on the bottom and as straight. Down as possible
Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tokesGTR
I'd take off the housings and use some calipers to measure the inducer/exducer of the turbo, but I still think it would be pertinent to get a retune or atleast check your AFR's after you swap out the turbo. Most T3/T04E's should use a common oil feed/drain flange setup so you should be okay there, but the exhaust outlet is where you should pay some attention. Some turbos run a 5-bolt flange, some use a 4-bolt flange with varying sizes. Although 99% of the ebay turbos I've seen use a standard garrett 5-bolt flange, you should double check that the flange is the same on the new turbo before you order it, so that you don't have to remake your downpipe.
Yes sir, this one uses a 5 bolt, some of the replacements I've seen use a 4 bolt. However, the downpipe I have is just a short pipe with what I believe is the oxygen sensor attached close to the 5 bolt flange. I have to get an exhaust system rebuilt for this car, so in that case, would it be a huge deal to remake the downpipe? It looks a bit rusted in any case.

I've almost got this figured out, it's just that it's easy to get wishy washy before buying a $700 part, and for good reason. It's easy to miss a small detail and not even know what you've missed. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You CAN rebuild an ebay turbo with new internals, if you knew the size. I think you need to accept help when you ask for it instead of getting all upset. His response to your first post was just fine if you ask me.

ShangaiOC's response about psi is obviously something you don't quite understand. Whether or not your wastegate is set at 6 psi doesn't matter. A different sized turbo is going to be different at 6psi then your current one.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShanghaiOC
You just joined today & all ready have a chip on the shoulder? Go flip some more burgers & save up a few duckets.
Says the person using join date as an argument point? Who pissed in your wheaties today?

Yes Losen the bolts holding the turbine housing and the compressor housing and rotate as needed. Just be sure the center section is positions so the oil drain is on the bottom and as straight. Down as possible
Thank you, noted.

You CAN rebuild an ebay turbo with new internals, if you knew the size. I think you need to accept help when you ask for it instead of getting all upset.
Running a cheap turbo is not an option, and I am not going to consider it. I'm not going to trust some cheap cast made with no warranty in china. Maybe someone with money to toss away can, but I'm not in the position to gamble with my car.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Running a cheap turbo is not an option, and I am not going to consider it. I'm not going to trust some cheap cast made with no warranty in china. Maybe someone with money to toss away can, but I'm not in the position to gamble with my car.
If you bought a Garrett rebuild kit you'd be fine. The housing is not the problem. That's your decision obviously, but he wasn't in the wrong for telling you to buy a rebuild kit.

You stated you were new to turbo's, so be open to advice and suggestions. If you don't understand it, ask.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by devney
If you bought a Garrett rebuild kit you'd be fine. The housing is not the problem. That's your decision obviously, but he wasn't in the wrong for telling you to buy a rebuild kit.

You stated you were new to turbo's, so be open to advice and suggestions. If you don't understand it, ask.
Are you saying there is no difference in the turbine and compressor housings of a turbonetics turbo and one cast in china and sold on ebay?

I saw people trying to make ebay turbos more reliable, and it involved more than a rebuild kit. It involved cleaning up the cheap casting job as well.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you saying there is no difference in the turbine and compressor housings of a turbonetics turbo and one cast in china and sold on ebay?

I saw people trying to make ebay turbos more reliable, and it involved more than a rebuild kit. It involved cleaning up the cheap casting job as well.
I'm saying that the housings are not going to cause you trouble. Plenty of people run ebay turbo's with no problems. It's usually the internals that are cheap. In fact, companies like Blaast Performance and possibly others are known for rebuilding ebay turbo's to Garrett specs.