Notices

Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK?

I'm planning on replacing my pistons & rings with stock oem parts. Was wondering if I'd beable to run 1 bar with the greddy kit on my 94 Ls tuned with hondata? Can't really afford forged pistons but want the most out of the oem's. How much whp can they handle?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (roydogg)

forged pistons cost around 300 a set for cheapies...the stock rods can be kept
Old 03-25-2003, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (Paul_Vang)

honda piston's are actually pretty good, they have a decent amount of material between the ring lands. If you tune your setup good then you should be able to get away with over 300whp on stock pistons and rods. the thing that kills pistons is detonation or "knock", and the rods are more then capable of the 300+ whp.
If you are aware of the strength of mitsubishi 4g63t motor you will know that they can make around 550whp on a stock 6 bolt bottom end, they have cast pistons...

also, when you put the bottom end together set the ring gap on the loose side, if you dont the rings will get hot and expand into each other causing them to break.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (allbottleb16)

honda piston's are actually pretty good, they have a decent amount of material between the ring lands. If you tune your setup good then you should be able to get away with over 300whp on stock pistons and rods. the thing that kills pistons is detonation or "knock", and the rods are more then capable of the 300+ whp.
If you are aware of the strength of mitsubishi 4g63t motor you will know that they can make around 550whp on a stock 6 bolt bottom end, they have cast pistons...

also, when you put the bottom end together set the ring gap on the loose side, if you dont the rings will get hot and expand into each other causing them to break.
Sorry ...gotta disagree here...Stock Honda pistons aren't built for for boost and definatelt will not handle 1 bar daily. At most maybe 7 to 10psi daily. So your choice would be to stay below 10psi or do the forged pistons.

Mitsubishi engines are completely different animals and cannot be compared to Hondas. They are built for boost att he factory anf have all the proper reinforcements to take boost...Hondas do not

Trust me on this (from experience)...If you absolutly wan to see 1 BAR...go forged. Lets put it this way, you want a safe turbo setup, you'll be spending your money one of the 3 below:

1. built bottom complete with forged internals
2. proper tuning
3. a complete rebuild due to not spendin money on 1 or 2.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (MiraiZ)

I'm gonna have it tuned but I would like to atleast see 230-260 whp on stock oem piston and rings. I'm not runnin a t03/04 I'm runnin a tdo5 18g with the internal wastegate and fmic. What kind of forged pistons can I get for 300? And I can keep my stock rods right? I want to build up the bottom end but in the least expensive way. I know that this hobby is not cheap but you know sometimes people just can't **** out 5-600 on pistons then have to pay for labor.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get Endyns for about $400-500, but you should get rods too. 260whp on stock inners is very ambitious
Old 03-25-2003, 09:51 AM

I'm not runnin a t03/04 I'm runnin a tdo5 18g with the internal wastegate and fmic.
regardless what turbo you're running. once boosts are built up, chances are your stock piston will be fried at one point or another, because it is high compression and (like someone mentioned) it's not made for boosts. save a few more hundred bux and buy a forged set of pistons, the least i would go w/ the bottom end.

tuning of course is a must.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (@irborne)

we'll due to contrary belief, You can break any piston forged or not.
What i said, was knock and spikes in cylinder pressure breaks pistons.
If you tune your car for very little or no knock then chances are you should be able to get away with making a decent amount of horsepower.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Replacing stock piston & rings w/oem parts high boost OK? (allbottleb16)

You can melt or damage any piston, bad, poor, or no fuel tunning will do that for you.

From my experience honda pistons are weak around the ring lands, as well if you compare the rings land and the ring size of rings based on a turbo application the difference is amazing.

With real good tuning you can get 10-12 psi on the stock bottom, but I woulden't say all day every day. After that unless you have exceptional tunning your pushing the limits of the bottom end. Although you may not experience any problems your margin for error is minimal, meaning that if you get a boost spike you may through rods out your block (seen that), but if your only running 7 or 8 psi you have a larger cusion so to speak.

Good luck with it.........................the dark side pulls you stong.........................the dark side knows it choose correctely when you blow every thing up and build again bigger and stonger......................hahah lol. How ture is that!