Notices

Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size?

I've wanted to do this for a while because I have a couple of -6an hose ends. I want to put an NPT-AN adapter like the guy did in this pic. (circled in red) First of all, do I just grab some pliers and unscrew the stock breather? Secondly, what size should I tap it...1/4"?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (Sprockets)

Just cut the tube off with a speedy grinder and drill it out tap it with whatever size is needed, probably ¼ or 3/8 npt.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (Sprockets)

yeah just cut it off and drill out the hole.. the hand tap size will depend on the fitting you wana use.. for 1/4-18NPT you'll need a 7/16 bit if i remember correctly.. or you can get a -6AN or -8AN alu bung and weld it on
Old 11-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (Peter Shen)

Are you sure I have to cut it off? It seems like it could be twisted out. I'm going to have bungs welded on the front, but I'd rather just drill, tap and use an adapter for the back. Once I get it off I can figure out the size needed, but just wanted to have the parts ready ahead of time.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM

Quick question...how does everybody get the shavings out when they tap/drill this? Looks like it'd be a PITA to make sure they're all out. Any tricks?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (99blusi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blusi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quick question...how does everybody get the shavings out when they tap/drill this? Looks like it'd be a PITA to make sure they're all out. Any tricks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do it off of the car!!! just use like a vacuum and/or a blow gun to get that **** out of there
Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (whiteef8)

Ok, so does anyone recognize who's pic this is?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen that pic before. I believe it was from one of those "post your catch can or breather setup" threads.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think it can be removed. You have to cut it off and tap I think.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think it can be removed. You have to cut it off and tap I think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I havent tried to remove mine, but I was able to remove half of the other pressed in honda fittings on the motor (thermostat housing, intake manifold to brake booster fitting, water neck)

I bet it could come out - but is there really enough material there to use a tap? If you are getting fittings welded onto the front of the valve cover, why dont you just get one welded onto that location?

Also - something to consider... welding fittings onto the front of the VC puts the fittings in front of the baffle, reducing the liquid oil that would make it into the line. I dont have my VC handy, but does the location picture above have any baffling?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (slow poke)

I know to do it off the car...but the baffle underneath seems like it might hold a shaving or two in there.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stock valve cover breather and tapping for NPT-AN fitting...What size? (B18EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also - something to consider... welding fittings onto the front of the VC puts the fittings in front of the baffle, reducing the liquid oil that would make it into the line. I dont have my VC handy, but does the location picture above have any baffling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The stock location (if thats where your are talking about) does have baffling yes.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The stock location (if thats where your are talking about) does have baffling yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

perfect thanks for clearing that up.

I plan on just running a small filter on that location
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen that pic before. I believe it was from one of those "post your catch can or breather setup" threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, I'll do a search.

The reason I'd rather tap then weld in that location is because of the pic above, and I have another one of a pink valve cover (Full Race) that looks to be tapped. I was just hoping that I could unscrew it. It seems like there should be enough aluminum to tap for a small fitting.

Here is a pic of the baffle underneath the valve cover for those who were curious: