Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Recovery of Chip Tune in Hondata S200

Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Recovery of Chip Tune in Hondata S200

B18 Boosted @11 psi

Hondata S200 unit P28 failed allowing coil to remain hot anytime key was on.

I was thinking about possibly going with Crome but wanted to know if it was possible to get the chipped tune currently in Hondata unit and transfer it into Crome.

The tuner I used before acts like it should be re-tuned however if I can transfer tune I already have into Crome or something else I don't see a reason to upgrade to S300 unit (which after S200 failure I don't trust). ALso Hondata is not very helpful in this situation. I also know there are refurbished S200 units out there I could purchase and put my chip in that. However I'm wondering if its time to get away from Hondata it failed once so how good can I really expect a refurbished unit to be?

Has anyone tried to do this?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Recovery of Chip Tune in Hondata S200

They aren't compatible that I'm aware of. You'll need to re-tune. Sorry, bud.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what you could do is if you can get the maps to come up on the s200 you could enter the same into crome and if you have a wideband make fine adjustments to get it back to right. 11psi crome should be fine just get a gm 2 bar.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg332
B18 Boosted @11 psi

Hondata S200 unit P28 failed allowing coil to remain hot anytime key was on.

I was thinking about possibly going with Crome but wanted to know if it was possible to get the chipped tune currently in Hondata unit and transfer it into Crome.

The tuner I used before acts like it should be re-tuned however if I can transfer tune I already have into Crome or something else I don't see a reason to upgrade to S300 unit (which after S200 failure I don't trust). ALso Hondata is not very helpful in this situation. I also know there are refurbished S200 units out there I could purchase and put my chip in that. However I'm wondering if its time to get away from Hondata it failed once so how good can I really expect a refurbished unit to be?

Has anyone tried to do this?
I am shocked that you would question the reliability of a Hondata system when what you have has worked for at least TEN YEARS !!! The s200 has been discontinued about that long. Chances are your car has broken during that time period and you didn't dump it and buy a Hyundai... and CromE is garbage compared to what you have now, so I am not sure why you would even consider that option. Upgrading to a s300 is an exceptional idea... it is the most affordable, widely used tuning system for OBD-1 applications on the planet and it is an exceptional value.

Now, with all of that said... I am not sure WHY you believe that the s200 is your problem. The chip is removable from the 28-pin socket and can be inserted into another properly socketed P28 style ECU. A s200 box failure is unlikely, however, the 4 pin ribbon cable is a common issue, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to closely inspect both ends of the cable. Cables can be purchased from a few dealers who still have them in stock. I know my tuner still has them. If the cable is bad, the box will not communicate with the chip and the car will not rev beyond 4K rpm.

Lastly, as stated above... a Hondata s200 chip and a CromE chip are compiled differently and thus are not interchangeable. So I suggest you test before you decide to "86" the Hondata system.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree. I think you need to upgrade to Hondata S300 & i believe you will enjoy the features.

I’ve never had reliability issues.

OP, check out phearable.net
Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Recovery of Chip Tune in Hondata S200

JRCivic the reason I question it is because for the last 5 years its been failing only intermittently. I burned up multiple coils due to the ECU allowing the coil to be hot whenever the key was turned on. I will say buying another S200 system and putting the chip in it would be the easiest thing to do but like I say S200 failed once and I have no idea what a used S200 has or has not been through. But lets assume I could buy another good condition S200 and take my chip and install it into that then there should be no re-tuning correct?

With respect to the 4 cable issue I'm assuming your talking about the hole in the box with the cable that leads to the blue box with the push button ? The car never had an issue revving past 4K. But could some other portion of the computer be affected by this cable running to the blue box such as allowing ignition coil to remain hot (while the key is on)?
I did not know the blue box did anything else besides just like you set rev limits.

Upon inspection of cable that goes from ECU to Blue Hondata rev limiter box it does appear that the crimped wires inside of connector end that attaches to the ECU are very loose. So this ribbon cable that attaches to the blue rev limiter box, this box does not just manage rev limits it affects spark, fuel, and timing as well?

Last edited by TurboTeg332; 07-15-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Additional INfo
Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg332
JRCivic the reason I question it is because for the last 5 years its been failing only intermittently. I burned up multiple coils due to the ECU allowing the coil to be hot whenever the key was turned on. I will say buying another S200 system and putting the chip in it would be the easiest thing to do but like I say S200 failed once and I have no idea what a used S200 has or has not been through. But lets assume I could buy another good condition S200 and take my chip and install it into that then there should be no re-tuning correct? Just so we are clear here... the S200 system consists of the blue box, the 4-wire ribbon cable and the 28-pin chip. These items are installed into a MODIFIED FACTORY ECU. If I understand you correctly, your problems in the past have been ECU related and NOT S200 issues. You HAVE to replace the ECU... you do not have a choice but to have one of them... stock or modified.

With respect to the 4 cable issue I'm assuming your talking about the hole in the box with the cable that leads to the blue box with the push button ? The car never had an issue revving past 4K. But could some other portion of the computer be affected by this cable running to the blue box such as allowing ignition coil to remain hot (while the key is on)?
I did not know the blue box did anything else besides just like you set rev limits. The box stores the rev limit and launch rpm values as well as the license key.

Upon inspection of cable that goes from ECU to Blue Hondata rev limiter box it does appear that the crimped wires inside of connector end that attaches to the ECU are very loose. So this ribbon cable that attaches to the blue rev limiter box, this box does not just manage rev limits it affects spark, fuel, and timing as well? The 28-pin chip has the fuel and ignition commands stored on it... the blue box just allows them all to be read by the ECU.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Recovery of Chip Tune in Hondata S200

Great info, JRCIvic; this is making more sense now.
In the past I thought they were ECU related but yes I was speaking in generalities. Would I said I was having issues with it I meant the entire thing. It does appear though that my problem count have been ribbon cable going bad hence the intermittent starting, shutting off while driving etc.
I did not realize the blue box was so important other than spark relating to rev limit management. If the 28 pin chip has fuel and ignition tables on it but wont work without the blue box then any failure or intermittent failure of the ribbon cable or blue box would have similar if not same effects as a failure of the ECU would have.
I ran across the main relay issue alot people have and ended up changing main relay (issues are similar with random no starts but I experienced the car shutting off on the highway too :/ ).

I believe the ribbon cable and or something ECU related was causing it. I am going to try to get a new ribbon cable soon since mine was loose on the connector that attaches to the ECU board. I am hoping new ribbon cable on ECU side connector is tighter than mine is. Checked the old one for continuity and 0.6 ohms on all wires.